Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Lilac Fields Forever

On Sunday morning, my watch shook me awake at 4AM rudely waking me from a rather pleasant dream.

I had set the alarm deliberately, for Nick would pick me up at 4:50 and drive me to the lilac fields in nearby Franktown. He gets up early when the light is good. I have also risen early in the past to take photos but not recently.

Before I continue with the narrative, let me explain why I chose the watch to wake me, rather than Alexa, or my phone, or a conventional alarm. Well, who uses conventional alarms anymore? I am sure we could dig one up from somewhere, but we really don't use those kinds of clocks or radios anymore. That being said, both Alexa and Siri (phone) would make a lot of noise. They might wake Sue, but in my deafness, I might not hear them at all. My watch vibrates in addition to ringing. It is the buzzing vibrations that awaken me first. For a backup, I had set the phone as a backup for 4:05, but I was able to tell Siri to turn off all alarms before it went off.

Franktown is a little hamlet about ten minutes down the highway. It calls itself The Lilac Capital on Ontario. I'll post a blurb, below, but it is not an unwarranted claim for this little place as they have a few acres dominated by lilacs that are blooming in profusion right now. Next weekend, they will host their annual Lilac Festival, but this past weekend was glorious, indeed.

There are two main lanes. This is a photo of one of them about twenty minutes after sunrise. The sun rises fast and strongly at this time of year: especially noticeable when the sky is cloudless.


While that photo sets part of the scene, I like the next two photos better. I love the softness of the first scene while using the farm gate to anchor the image. While I would have preferred a nice lilac bush instead of brush at the bottom right, it still provided a frame for the gate. I also like the line of lilacs in the background, just above the gate. I think I made the best of the photo opportunity.


A little later, the sun had risen higher, but look at all of the lilac bushes in this field, off the main path.  Splendiferous! Nick was somewhere out of sight back there, lying on the ground and taking macros of low-lying lilacs. He has his muse, and I have mine.


For awhile I switched to my telephoto lens and tried to pick out individual lilacs along the lane. I came up with three very different photos. I love the second one and think it is print-worthy, if I were to so choose. It's the soft background that makes it special in my opinion. I was at the right distance from the flower, and the flower was the right distance from the background flowers to achieve this effect.




Here is the blurb about Franktown's from a website.


How did Franktown become Ontario’s lilac capital?

Franktown was settled as a supply stop between Richmond and Perth in 1818 by Scottish and Irish settlers who planted lilacs around their farmsteads. Over the centuries, Franktown has remained a small community. No large-scale developments have razed the land. In fact, the opposite has happened—undeveloped land has allowed the seeds and suckers to flourish unchecked. When scientists from Ottawa’s Central Experimental Farm examined the area in 2007, they found the suckering so dense that other plant species were mainly excluded.

Franktown’s lilacs aren’t just dense. Many of them are unique. Over time, naturalized hybrid species with double florets developed and became species known only to the Franktown area. A pink variety has been named Dixie (after Dixina Pierce McLellan, who once owned property along Lilac Lane). A white combination has been aptly named Franktown, while a blue variety is called Beckwith after the Township. These varieties just aren’t a local point of interest. In 2009, Franktown was honoured with the International Lilac Society’s President’s Award for protecting its unique varieties.

16 comments:

Marcia said...

Lilacs are blooming around here too. They do have a beautiful scent. With all those there in Franktown the air must have smelled lovely too.

Liz Hinds said...

How glorious! Lilacs are such an understated flower and smell so wonderful.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh now I will have to find a lilac plant to enjoy the scent and beautiful flowers. I don't know if they are still blooming here though.

Boud said...

The smell must have been wonderful. What a great expedition.

Sandra said...

WOW! This was worth the early rise. My lilacs are blooming but rather pound compared to this. The photos are really good.

Ed said...

I rarely use an alarm anymore these days because I have lost my ability to sleep in late enough to a time where I might need to be reminded. But I still remember those years of setting my alarm clock every Sunday evening to wake me up for the rest of the week. Now if I set my alarm, it is as you say, on my phone and is generally to prevent me from forgetting an afternoon obligation that might get interrupted by a nap.

Cloudia said...

Thank you for this completely unexpected and delightful morning visit! Aloha!

RedPat said...

I had never heard of this place. The scent of all those lilacs must be wonderful.

Jeanie said...

That had to smell beyond magnificent!

Margaret said...

John's mom's town is the Lavender capital of WA--very picturesque. I love that second photo best. With flower photos, I always want to be there for the whole experience, the scent too.

Marie Smith said...

Glorious! Great post!

roentare said...

You make them have a look of English cottage garden

MARY G said...

I am sure that getting up that early hurts, but it was worth it. I like the full lilac world shot the best, but they are all worthy.
I use an old-fashioned alarm. I almost always wake up before it goes off and turn it off to protect JG.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lilacs are among my favorite blooms and perhaps it is because they are in my favorite color, purple. As much as I like the blooms and their scent, I would have been tempted to sleep in, so glad that you did not, AC.

Jenn Jilks said...

We drove by the other day. Good for you for getting out there. I was wondering when their festival was. It was a bit underwhelming the year we went!