Thursday, May 02, 2024

A Moving Experience

Hah! No, the title does not refer to an emotional experience, but I thought it was catchy. Mind you I am at the keyboard very early after yet another short night of less than 5 hours of sleep. Darn shoulder.

Yesterday, I was playing around with moving the camera while I was depressing the shutter. It's a real technique called ICM, which is short for Intentional Camera Movement. I have no experience with this technique, but I was moved to try it. (See what I did there?)

We were checking out the garden by our little museum, or at least I was. Sue had wandered over to the labyrinth on the other side of the building to look for a subject that would suit her potd.

I was taken with this gnarl of branches on the wall. Maybe it's a clematis, but only time will tell.

Also look at the emerging peonies at the bottom.
They will be featured soon.

Having decided on my subject, I gave the camera a little upward motion and then converted to b&w. It's interesting, but I think that a straight photo would be better because it just looks blurry to me, so not good. Let's move on, shall we?


I moved my attention to the peonies below the branches, and gave the camera a little more upward movement. It yielded quite an abstract. I think I like this one.


In a nearby flower bed, a few tulips were blooming. I took a normal photo and then another where I moved the camera a little bit. I combined the two images in post and added a bit of texture. I don't know about you, but I like it.


I moved the camera more and rotated it on an angle rather than just move it up and down. I don't know  what I think about this one, but it's something.


One final photo, also of tulips but different ones than above. I made a very slight upward movement on this one and then applied a very slight bit of texture in post. The result pleases me.


I think I like the two tulips photos best, both just the result of a modest amount of camera movement. The experiment made a change from taking essentially the same photos time after time. I will probably do more ICM as I go about revisiting the usual places around town.




22 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Photo #4, the tulips, looks like a watercolour painting - very nicely done!

Judy from Maine said...

The tulip photo (4) is beautiful, it looks like a dream image, I can feel the softness of the buds. Great job.

Barbara Rogers said...

As Postcards said, there is a painterly quality which these possess. I find that some are just hard to look at while others are quite pleasing. Keep on with the creativity! You will have a gallery exhibit before you know it!

MARY G said...

The tulip photos w ith that level of movement are, for me, excellent. The higher level of movement is not so telling. And I like the first, straight shot. Sproing!!!

Marie Smith said...

I like the tulips best too. My problem with my camera is I can’t hold it still enough for photos. I have never tried deliberate movement.

Jeanie said...

Sometimes the motion of a camera makes the photo come alive and it becomes more than a blur but tells a story or mood. These do!

Vicki Lane said...

Oh, I like these--especially the first tulip one.

RedPat said...

I like the last tulip shot best but also like the first one you tried with the vines.

Margaret said...

I think the tulips turned out best--like an impressionist painting. Or as Patio said, a watercolor. It helps that I love that color flower!

Sandra said...

I agree, the tulip photos are the best. The last one does look like a water color.

Boud said...

I tend to get these by accident! But I agree with Sandra on the winner of the group.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

A virtual friend of mine who's a professional photographer does a lot of ICM photography. Seems kind of hit and miss, but some are absolutely gorgeous! More like a beautiful painting than a photo. I think photo #4 is a hit!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What fun effects and this technique might be something I will try when experimenting with a recent camera purchase. The abstract tulips were quite lovely.

roentare said...

This is the art of motion blur. Love this sort of exercise being creative

Debby said...

You are creating a beautiful impressionist image with your camera. Nicely done!

Joanne Noragon said...

Yes, the two tulip pictures were the best.

Granny Sue said...

These are interesting. I like the one of the peony stems, and of course the tulips are really lovely. Very artistic!

peppylady (Dora) said...

Sorry about your shoulders.

Cloudia said...

The flower bed is the winner! I like how you are always very down to earth but never boring. Aloha friend

Jenny the Pirate said...

The tree looks as though it has been espaliered. All of your photos are great. I LOVE movement photos. Especially taken from the passenger window of the car, at dusk when the lights are coming on. xoxo

Jenn Jilks said...

I saw what you did there! Good try. I'd not heard of this. Usually my hands are just shaking!

Kay said...

Wow! These are very interesting images.