Monday, May 13, 2024

Surprising Colour

On Friday evening, we did what many did and hit the night roads to look for the aurora. I had a spot picked out on a farm on the edge of town. I thought to pull in just off the road and get a pretty good northern and eastern view. I thought to just just off the road and not really onto private property, but it would be enough.

But two cars beat me to it, and they pulled right in, well onto the property. So, I kept driving and ended up a very rural road about 8km from home. Our town is in the bottom left of the map ↓ and there's a thumbnail of the aurora where we stopped to take pictures. You can see that it's all green out thataway: a mixture of forest and fields and few humans. We couldn't see green in the dark, of course, so it was a slow trip down that dark, rural road, but thankfully not a long one.



As we drove along, there were trees and bushes on the left side of the road, which obscured the northern view,  but I eventually found a cleared spot. Of course, there was nothing but cloud to see. Oh well.

However, there seemed to be something happening in the eastern sky. There were streaks going overhead and a wee bit of shimmering, but it was very dull and colourless.

However, when Sue pulled out her phone, behold! there was colour.



I didn't know this then, but camera sensors see a greater colour range than we do, especially at night. It does seem odd because humans see a much larger range of light than cameras see: light but not colour. Go figure.

Eventually, I also pulled out my camera, but the show was over by then, or at least the shimmering part was over. However, the sensor still picked up a ton of colour. I tried to at least keep the light level true to what we were seeing, for it was pretty dark.


I took a photo looking along the dark road ↓ that we would have to drive along to get out of the farm field territory.

This always happens on Blogger. On my high res photos in my workflow,
I can see the road more clearly.

I'm now having a second thought, and I'll show you one of my first photos ↓ SOOC, no editing. Crazy exposure on a dark night, eh? The previous two photos show the reality better, but the next one was my first attempt.


It was a weird experience to see that light to come out of a dark and what seemed to our eyes, a colourless sky.

That's ↑ the story, but I have a few more photos to show. 

I used my headlamp to light up the sign.


That ↑ was a phone shot by me. This ↓ is a phone shot by Sue of me later setting up my big camera on the tripod.


Sue did a composite of some of her photos.

That colour was very unexpected. I thought that we were wasting our time until Sue took the first photo with her phone.

20 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

You got some great photos of a spectacular event.

Linda said...

Great photos and beautiful colors. What an awesome event to have captured. Linda Buckman, imagesisee.blogspot.com

Granny Sue said...

I like that you captured both the reality and the phone version. We entirely missed seeing it, not knowing about it til the next morning.

DJan said...

What a wonderful experience you two shared. Thanks for the photos, Sue!

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done going out there. I just didn't have the energy! I knew better photographer than I would!

gigi-hawaii said...

Great pics! Here in Hawaii, I don't get to see such skies.

Ed said...

We drove outside of town to check it out as well and on our way back, nearly broadsided a car that was parked half in the road, half in a field entrance with its lights off and on a sweeping corner. I had to hit the brakes pretty hard and got a good glimpse of a startled wife looking our her side window at our headlights. Fortunately after I was able to move around them, they turned their lights on. I'm not sure what they were thinking.

For us anyway, they were less than spectacular and could only be seen by camera sensor. I expect if we had driving another ten miles from town, we might have been able to see something with the naked eye. I've seen the northern lights several times by naked eye in the past and they were spectacular so I ponder how severe this storm actually was or if it was just more publicized than those I've seen in the past.

Marie Smith said...

People here got great results with their phones too. You did well!

Sandra said...

Fantastic photos! I don't know if this was visible from here and I never thought to look. I'm glad you did.

Cloudia said...

Thank you so much for sharing those photos! Interesting about the sensors in our cameras. I wanted to snap a sunset and make it quick so as not to expose my camera to too much direct though setting light. These are really enjoyable. Thanks again for sharing them. For the first time in 100 years the lights were visible to some in Hawaii. But being in urban Honolulu I was not lucky enough to see them. Aloha!

Margaret said...

I loved seeing it through my iPhone camera from my deck! It was very unexpected.

RedPat said...

It was cloudy here and I have too much light pollution in the city. Sue's shots are great.

Marcia said...

We had full clouds here. I had read that iPhone cameras would work best. We have a mostly clear day today but don't know if there will be much tonight.

MARY G said...

Those are lovely and you have a fine story as well. I was out around midnight and the pink tones were very visible to the naked eye where we live, with no artificial light source at all. (Except the flashlight I used to find my way back to bed.)
No show Saturday, but early Monday morning, about 4:00 am, we had greenish yellow.
Fun.
I love Sue's shot of you setting up. Like a book illustration.

The Furry Gnome said...

Unfortunately I could not get out to see anything.

Jeanie said...

Hats off to you for the gorgeous photos. Rick and I missed Friday but after seeing all the good pix, went out Saturday, which we were told would be good. We drove and drove and saw only black sky. Finally we found some folks and they mentioned the camera but apparently mine doesn't have the right settings and neither does my little camera. It was a fun search but sadly unfulfilling. I think your photos are just fantastic! Interesting about the cameras. Does anyone EVER see these without a camera?

roentare said...

Nice shots. The coastlines are unusually packed with people shooting aurora

Barbara Rogers said...

Way to go. And now you've given me a clue as to why so many of your photos appear quite dark here in blogland. So glad your trek into unknown territory was worth it.

Joanne Noragon said...

Well done.

Debby said...

Super pictures! What we saw was pretty much like your picture with the roadsign. We could see the color, and the rays and the like. We didn't know about the camera thing until after the fact. We tried to duck back out for pictures, but unfortunately, the fog had rolled in.