Friday, April 19, 2024

Coffee and Guitars

Nick, my photo friend took me to a coffee shop in a nearby town. The attraction for him was a little display of guitars hanging over an old piano. I took a picture, but Nick didn't because the light was very bright at the part of the display near the window before tailing off into shadows at the other end. Shooting in high dynamic range is not ideal, so Nick decided to return on another, cloudier day, without such bright sunlight pouring through the window..

However, I did what I usually do and opted to make the best photo that I could under the circumstances. I used a few tricks including an HDR blend (for those who might know what that means). I think it's a nice enough image — good enough for me on that day.

We discussed photography over coffee, and that included talking about double exposures. Nick is good at them, and you have seen lately that I have been experimenting, just a little bit. Anyway, while we were sitting there, I took a few of Nick overlain by the guitars. These are for fun only and not to be taken seriously.


Before driving back home, I took this photo of reflections in the windows of a fine, old building, near the coffee shop.


Oops. I almost forgot that I also did a b&w conversion of the guitars photo. Of course, I prefer the colour version, butcha never know unless you try.

If we ever go back for round two, we'll have to ask the owner if we can temporarily relocate the plant.

20 comments:

Marie Smith said...

That first photo is great, AC.

gigi-hawaii said...

Love that last photo. Leave the plant in the photo. It gives one an idea of the size of the guitars.

Barbara Rogers said...

Loved the guitar photos. Your friend's face is really a good photo without the double exposure treatment. I vote for the color version of guitars...and have no idea how you managed to get the lighting so even. Kudos to you!

DJan said...

I do like the B&W version. :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

Thanks for the explanations! I think these are really creative.

I am ready for a new camera. I think.

Sandra said...

The second photo makes Nick look frightening! I love the photo of the guitars.

Jeanie said...

I don't know why Nick had a problem -- your photo is great. And I agree. The b/w is nice but the color is terrific.

MARY G said...

Your second double is a classic. Love it. And you can, with a bit of time, delete the plant. As to your fix on the light, I am impressed, as I frequently am, at your skill and creativity. But, no, the colour shot is the one that works.
Thanks, a teaching post from AC is always a treat.

RedPat said...

I think your shot of the guitars is great. I prefer the colour version too.

Granny Sue said...

That second one of Nick is scary! Pretty cool. I like both guitar shots, and the reflections one too. You had a pretty productive day.

PipeTobacco said...

I love photography of musical instruments. The guitars are of course beautiful, but the ornate nature of the piano is as well!!!

PipeTobacco

Margaret said...

These are excellent. The colors in the guitar photo are perfect. I love the reflections one! (no surprise there)

Joanne Noragon said...

I love pictures of reflections in windwos.

Red said...

I'll bet you two have a lively discussion over coffee and conduct an experiment or two. .

Marcia said...

Didn't like the double exposures but imagine that was fun to do. All the others are great.

The Furry Gnome said...

Now I enjoyed these double exposures.

Kay said...

My favorite is the one of the building windows reflections. :-)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The color shows off the beauty of these instruments, but the B&W is just as great. The window reflections are always fun and interesting. You are certainly having fun with the double exposures.

Liz Hinds said...

My son-in-law would love that coffee shop.

Debby said...

What is the thing beneath the guitars? Is that a chest or maybe a fireplace mantle? The carving is gorgeous.