Sunday, May 31, 2020

Oil Can AC

I won't try to wax eloquent, but I just want to say, that I am finding the current events in the USA to be most upsetting. Aside from the murder itself, which is absolutely horrifying, it distresses me greatly to read that white, racist troublemakers actually travel distances to join the demonstrations and foment even more trouble. How messed up must you be to think this is a good thing for you to do?

Having met more than a few Americans, let me write that I have always been impressed with those whom I have encountered. I have visited your homes and have never met an American that I haven't liked. Furthermore, most of my small blogosphere is American, and I impressed with you and your values.

Unfortunately, there is a vile underbelly in America that has poisoned the pot while seeming to become the face of the country, to say nothing of the mendacious orange miscreant who is supposedly in charge.

I know that anyone who reads this will vote, but I think even more has to be done. I am not sure what, but it has to be more than posting online as I am doing.

==============

After that torrid heat last week, we were near a frost warning last night. Nearby counties were actually under a warning. The temperature will only rise to 13C/55F today, and the high temperature of the day won't even reach 20C/68F until later this week.

==============

Speaking of heat, it really seemed to affect Lacey in her fur coat. When she wasn't sprawled on the floor, she spent much time curled up in her perch, with her large self hanging over the edge. It's a good thing there's a ridge or she would likely fall off.


==============

While waiting outside the establishment for my tires to be changed (thank goodness the weather was acceptable), I took a selfie to amuse myself. I don't usually do this as Sue is really in charge of the selfies. I remind myself of Oil Can Harry.


This ↓ is the picture that I have in my head of Harry, but all of the information that I can seem to find is of him this morning is as a cat who is Mighty Mouse's arch enemy.

OilCan Harry - Art

==============

Meanwhile, Sue took some self-selfies as well.



==============

Coincidentally, I chanced upon this actual portrait of Sue that I took last year. I was experimenting with the facial recognition mode on the camera, which worked quite well,  but I had the poor lady looking toward the setting sun. She has very sensitive eyes and could hardly stand the light and soon donned her sunglasses. She doesn't like this photo, but I do. Her current pandemic hairdo is beginning to look much different, however.


==============

We may do a somewhat coolish coffee in the park this afternoon. We shall see. I hope your Sunday goes well.

13 comments:

Tabor said...

Love that last portrait. She seems to be very expressive and you caught her at the right time. That, to me, is the hardest for portraits ...emotion and feeling and character. Regarding the racist/facist group in America...they seem to be breeding in larger numbers. Biggest mistake was letting the leadership we now have. I fear a bloody civil war after the next election.

Marcia said...

I'm trying not to read the news very closely - too upsetting. I had not heard that white supremist had joined the rioting. Our country has gone backward these years with tRump. I don't know if we'll recover. We need Biden's leadership for sure. There's lots to be done right.

Jenn Jilks said...

Yes. White people have to do something about this. Much could be done, but racism is so entrenched in society. It's appalling.

I love your Lacey. Thank you for taking her in.
The selfies, well, I like that look for you!
Your beautiful Sue is so tolerant! You are a fun couple.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It's amazing how fast the media coverage has changed from total coronavirus coverage to riot coverage, and none of this has been good news. The tragedy of George Floyd's death are being exploited ad nauseam. That sickening video should not be allowed to repeatedly air as it only incites some to violent acts, which have nothing to do with his death. Rioters are delusional in believing their acts justify his death, which they do not. Lacey certainly can adapt well. I also like the last photo of Sue.

DJan said...

Your humorous post is just what the doctor ordered today. I just watched CBS Sunday Morning and had a couple of chuckles. Now I'm turning away from the screen and going into my blog world. :-)

gigi-hawaii said...

I like your pictures very much. Your wife is still very beautiful.

Margaret said...

Sue looks pensive, and it's a great photo of her. She looks good in that color! I don't know what to say or think about these protests/riots. There are so many conflicting stories about who is actually doing the destruction. White anarchists hijacking peaceful protests? White supremacists? Many people from out of the city coming in to cause trouble.

Marie Smith said...

Great selfies today.

It is difficult to see the death of George Floyd and not feel outrage. The person leading the country is not helping, if anything is fueling the flames.

Jenny Woolf said...

I too am horrified at what is happening in the US but also very disturbed that our own government seems to be keen to take its lead from Trump. Those pictures you took look like fun!

Red said...

Completely agree with you about the upsetting happenings in the U.S. My daughter is an American. So the Americans I meet are pleasant level headed people. In the western U.S. you can meet some wackos.

Barbara Rogers said...

These are crazy times, that's for sure. Liked your collection of selfies. The US is getting tossed one way and another. Many people are scared of a lot. It's a hard time for us all.

Rita said...

This is like a horrible 60s flashback...but in the middle of a pandemic. The orange man is no leader. He fans the flames of violence and could care less about deaths as long as it isn't his own, of course.

Nice to see the silly selfies and a really pretty one of your better half, too. ;) Love seeing Lacey, too. :)

PipeTobacco said...

The national scene here is indeed stressful and hard. The action of the four officers was beyond horrific. Protesting that horrid death is just. Rioting and looting just make things worse for everyone. Any actions without Covid protection makes things worse for everyone as well. It is very hard.

Yet, I thank you for your images. For me, the kitty image was a true bright spot. I thank you for that.

PipeTobacco