Saturday, May 30, 2020

Breaking Out

I broke down on Thursday and found myself shopping, albeit briefly, in three different locations. It was quite a breakout after 10 weeks of lying pretty low. My combined total time in these establishments was probably 30 minutes or less, and I felt safe in each case.

First, we needed things from the nearby pharmacy from which we also get care products of various kinds as well as vitamins and such. It would be too much to ask others to shop for such a fiddly list, so out I went at 8AM, during the supposed seniors hour. There weren't many of us and most were masked, but some were not masked and not seniors. Oh well.

It went quickly and well enough.

Then I headed to the same garden centre that we turned away from last weekend because it was too crowded. Only 3 or 4 others lined up to wait for the 9AM opening. Only one was masked, and none of the workers were. Mind you, it would be onerous to wear a mask all day long in that hot place

The entrance had one way to enter (left in photo) and one way to exit, but apart from that aisles were narrow and unmarked (they couldn't be really).


Most of what flowers we needed, kind neighbours had already picked up for us at the much busier local garden centre, so armed with a minimal remaining list, I must have been in and out within 10 minutes.

Although I felt pretty safe in both venues, I would not have liked to be in the garden centre when it was crowded.

Finally, for supper, I braved another store — a little takeout place for shawarmas. To minimize time and fuss, we called in our little order, picked it up, and ate on a table behind townhall. We usually have done shawarmas with the kids. It wasn't the same without them.

I took a photo of where we sat and ate near the river, and Sue did a selfie with her phone. It helps that she can set the phone down and trigger it from her watch.



After our little supper, we walked to the bridge around the corner and looked both downriver and upriver. This is the upriver view.


By personal preference, I do try to avoid chronicling the day sequentially from morning to evening, but it seemed the way to go about posting today.

I hope you have a good weekend. The heat has broken here, but we have rain in the forecast for this afternoon.



14 comments:

Marcia said...

Haven't been quite as adventurous as you. Did learn there is a soft reopening happening here - library, fitness, salon, housekeeping services, outside family meet ups - but with restrictions on time and number.

Looking forward to being on our own come mid-July in NH. Tired of being treated like children by management here.

DJan said...

Good for you! And around here, everyone wears a mask, with most places requiring them for entry. I should try to get a picture one of these days. I like your hat picture, I almost thought they weren't real, but they are. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Color me a country gal, but I didn't know what shawarmas were. They sound delicious, and now I wish I weren't vegetarian. Yes, the real hats are so cute! And what a pastoral place for your supper. Glad you did some successful shopping. I'm thinking of it. May think for a spell, you know.

Christina said...

Your al fresco dining bench looks inviting, good weather you had, too! I dream about shopping (not the good kind of dream)... went to buy a phone and came home with two wildcats instead. Most bizarre.... just as well it was a dream! I rather fancy visiting a garden centre but these only just open now and all and sundry will be convening there. I'll wait a couple of weeks I think. Something to look forward to

PipeTobacco said...

“Shawarmas”.... by the name, I am presuming it is Middle Eastern cuisine? Sounds so very delightful!!!! We have not ventured out for restaurant food since this Covid-19 has happened, and I have been missing it a lot. Middle Eastern cuisine is one of my favorites, as is Indian. We have been making a few facsimiles of Indian dishes (chana masala and a few curries), and a few facsimiles of Middle Eastern/Mediterranean (majadra and hummus), but none of it is as wonderful as is found at an authentic place.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

You are brave! I am still staying home...I like the sound of that picnic with middle eastern food. We have a good restaurant that has that near us and it is a favorite. I understand missing doing it with your kids...

Marie Smith said...

Venturing forth these days is an adventure!

We had a few sunny days now a week of rain is on the way!

Margaret said...

It doesn't sound like you spent much time in those places, and we do have to start getting back to normal. Much of Washington is opening up, with restrictions. I'm happy to have a cautious governor, but frustrated by those who don't understand viruses, particularly how contagious and sneaky this one is. I love your pick up and picnic; that's a perfect compromise! Our heat from yesterday broke with a massive thunderstorm this morning. I was going to mow my lawn...

gigi-hawaii said...

I like your environment. It looks so lush and beautiful.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a change of weather. We can't blame Bill Gates for that!

It's awful, shopping. Crazy people. That early hour is the key.
I heard a news reader break down, Marcia, at 5 a.m. during a bout of insomnia. It was heartbreaking. Such awful news, piece after piece, as you know.

Vicki Lane said...

Sounds like a reasonably good experience. I haven't been shopping myself-- and am hearing mixed reviews about local places. My favorite garden center appears to be doing all they can to stay safe-- I may try it out.

Joanne Noragon said...

It's way too cold here today. My neighbor who keeps his A/C at 60 must be happy today.

Rita said...

I had to google shawarmas--LOL!
I'm glad you were in and out pretty quickly. Looks like a beautiful day. Nice selfie with matching real hats. :)

Tabor said...

you have such a lovely river to watch. That would break down any feeling of being quarantined for me. I have no idea what shawarma is...now I have to look that up.