Monday, May 25, 2020

Canadians Being Dumbasses

Here's a photo that will surprise and prove that Canadians are just as dumb as everyone else. In fact, from reports that I get from many American bloggers and describing how almost everyone there seems to mask, we are a whole lot dumber.

This was taken in a Toronto park on the weekend. Is this a gathering of only 5? Do you see any masks? Don't ask. I cannot explain this. I just hang my head, for I thought we were better than this.

Image

As deplorable as that is, I was really miffed to read one of the comments on social media.

This commenter only saw white privilege, which proves to me that people are prone to interpret information in a way that suits their narrative.

I see mostly young people. Perhaps the crowd was simply reflective of the neighbourhood. I mean, do you suppose for a nanosecond that all non-whites were huddled in their apartments playing solitaire?

Of course, the mistake was mine in reading the comments in the first place, but being a Boomer, I forget promises that I make to myself to not read comments. Or is it because I am male? Or white? I get so confused.

==============

In better news, it was time for Danica to cook dinner again — bbq chicken with beer cans up the butt.


This is how her stepmom describe the experience: She was so grossed out when she was washing it and massaging the butter into it. When I told her to put the can up his butt..omg. The look on her face.

But isn't her picture wonderful? What a great great kid.

==============

In this daily selfie, we were prepared to ride out motorcycles, except we couldn't find them.


==============

Speaking of looking for our ride, Shauna borrowed our car again today, but hers should be ready this afternoon. Good thing, for our grocery pickup will also be ready. Tomorrow, we will finally get our tires changed. I have never left it this late, but since we've been doing so little driving, I decided to wait for the nicer weather. Remember that it wasn't too grand until about a week ago.

18 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The photo of that large gathering in multiples of 5 was amazing to see, John, but there will surely be similar ones from here in the US on this holiday weekend. I can understand Danica’s reaction to preparing the 🐔.

Marcia said...

It's the mentality "Those rules don't apply to me" that brings people out to ignore the health directives, the speed limits, the laws about just about anything. In two weeks time there will be a marked increase in Covid cases everywhere.

Jenn Jilks said...

You have a wonderful family! Our divorce was so filled with angst. It wounded my relationship with my youngest forever. He won't talk to me. I only say this, as you folks have sorted stuff out.

I saw that image. It was better then next day, but millennials think they are immortal. Toronto is fairly segregated. Socioeconomics preclude many from living downtown. This is an inner city park.

Bikers, don't get me going on those! They are screaming up and down our road, radios blaring. You look good as bikers, though.

Keep up the chuckles. Your faithful readers love you!

DJan said...

The only good part of the picture is that it is outside, and perhaps the virus spread is less because of that. I can only hope so. You two need new biker glasses. :-)

Shammickite said...

That is going to happen more and more often as the weather improves and people feel they have been cooped up inside for long enough. It happens every spring after the long winter. Human nature minus common sense .

Blondi Blathers said...

Oh my, you look good in lipstick! Not. LOL
Sue does though.

Some of the stuff I've seen -- photos and videos -- of people blatantly disregarding health directives and even aggressively disobeying them (refusing to wear a mask in a business that requires them, spitting and coughing on others on purpose, etc.) is so disheartening. What is WRONG with people is impossible to fathom.

And if you want to be convinced you live in a world of idiots, keep reading the comments following news articles and FB posts. I too fall down that rabbit hole once in a while, in hopes someone somewhere will post an intelligent response to something. It's rare, alas.

Out here, since we're not aware of anyone in the district testing positive for Covid19, there seems to be an attitude that "Well we're rural, we're not packed in together like city dwellers, it probably won't come here." As if those city dwellers aren't coming out here to deliver groceries and other supplies, or even to visit their relatives when they should know better.

Those who are being careful, in spite of the inconvenience, are making a difference. That's the best I can hope for. -Kate

Marty said...

Yup. Not a grey head in that herd of park sitters. I guess older and wiser really is a thing.

Marie Smith said...

It sunny and cold here. Better than snow. Those people are shortsighted and stupid. Wait two weeks for the results of that few hours in the park.

Barbara Rogers said...

It's an amazing propaganda tool that many Republicans seem to think that this is all a hoax. Really amazing that they will pick up anything and turn it into fake news. I hope these poor dumb idiots don't all die...and wonder how they will feel going to their friend's funerals. On a more realistic note, I cannot go anywhere now because our town decided it was ok to be in restaurants and grocery stores un-masked. Maybe I can walk in the woods if nobody is around.

Margaret said...

I love your blog title. I've always wanted to be Canadian because you guys seem so much smarter than most of us down south. I'm glad(?) to see that people are people everywhere. You probably don't have a bunch of FB friends (whom you know personally!) who believe that Bill Gates and Dr. Fauci are going to implant trackers in a Covid19 vaccine, do you? Or who watch and post nutso conspiracy youtube videos? *shakes head* It will feel good to get those tires taken off, a normal activity! I think Sue and you need a motorcycle now, although I wouldn't recommend wearing that lipstick when you ride. It does nothing for you. ;)

gigi-hawaii said...

Yeah, that was dumb, sitting in that mass of people without masks. And I never saw chicken being grilled with beer cans in their cavity. Like, wow!

PipeTobacco said...

Yes, sadly unfortunate about the gathering. I fear it will become the norm far ahead of it being SAFE to be the norm again.

I happen to have a “biker” Halloween costume that I enjoy wearing at that time of the year, and I even have some imitation tattoos that are actually made from sheer nylons that look surprisingly real that I wear up and down both arms for dramatic “extreme” effect.

PipeTobacco

Mage said...

Yes, they all seem young and innocent. Yes too, she isn't a kid any more. Sorry you couldn't find your bikes.

troutbirder said...

Any nation that has universal healthcare as Canada does absolutely cannot be Dumb compared to Americans.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

That photo is discouraging, but maybe it is more a generational thing than a national one. Although I know of a lot of older people who don't seem to believe in science!

Rita said...

I guess we're not the only ones with part of the population that doesn't care about the virus. If I saw that many people together...well, it would be a good time to hop on your bike and hit the road, I guess--LOL! ;)

Vicki Lane said...

Dang! I thaought it was just the US that was so stupid. I'd shrug and say 'thinning the herd' if it weren't for the probability that the young people in the picture would likely survive while passing on the virus to older, more suceptible folks. Or healthcare workers.

Kay said...

Danica is gorgeous and gosh! I’ve never heard of sticking a beer can up a chicken. I wonder who thought of it. Your selfies are so fun!