Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Stars and Snippets

I am often ahead of myself in blogging, which means that when you read them they're behind. Is that a paradox?

Anyway, as I write this on Monday, I have been reminded that Star Wars was released into the world on this date in 1977.

We were at the old cottage that summer when our in-laws also showed up for a few days. Bill had seen the movie and praised it highly. Upon his recommendation, Sue and I drove to London (Ontario) from Sarnia to see it later that summer because it was gone from Sarnia.

I/We enjoyed it thoroughly, and I think it changed movie-making to some degree although perhaps I give it too much credit.

Bill was my brother-in-law whom I quite liked. He was the same age as I but passed away from a brain tumor a few years ago.

I think this selfie is quite apropos under the circumstance.


==============

I think I shall continue with various news clips that I am seeing today. It seems to be a good day for snippets, such as this one from this source. The gist of this article about a church service in Germany is that there was still much spreading of the virus despite the church attempting to take some precautions.
About 40 people tested positive shortly after the service. The rest of the 107 include people who tested positive later on or people they came into contact with. Either way, in a country that has flattened the curve and in a church where the leaders attempted to follow the rules, people still got the virus.
Speaking of churches, oh my!
The largest outbreak in South Korea came from a church. The largest outbreak in France came from a church. The latest outbreak in Germany came from a church. The latest CDC investigation traces a rural Arkansas outbreak—from a church.
==============

Provincially, we've had a spike in new cases for the past week with the daily totals going up past 400 after being well down in the 300s. They put it down to people dropping their guard on Mothers Day.

I guess that means that we can expect the spike to continue after the long weekend that followed Mothers Day. And don't forget last weekend and that park photo. The premier has asked all the participants of that park fiasco (as reported in Mondays post about Canadians being dumbasses) to get tested, and we have reached the stage when anyone can get tested on demand — apparently.

Update: Yesterday we were down to fewer than 300 new cases, which we haven't experienced since sometime in March. This virus is difficult to figure out — at least for me.

==============

When schools resume, will they look like this? I think this is from Thailand.



==============

I don't remember whether I saw this hard-hitting little post on TW or FB.
Every thing we wear is for other people. We wear bras so people won't be disgusted by our "grotesque" hanging breasts, deodorant so people will not gag from the smell of our armpits, and CLOTHES so people will not be forced to look at our naked bodies. We can wear a fucking mask.
 ==============

Remember when Trump used to criticize President Obama for golfing?

So far his golf trips have cost taxpayers more than $134,000,000 — 335 years of presidential salary.

 ==============

Here is a long term summer forecast for our region. If you live in another part of Canada, you can click this link for more information because the forecast varies from region to region. Who knows, the forecast might even be correct.
AccuWeather is predicting much of the province will see the stormiest summer in Canada this year, particularly around the Great Lakes region. This will also bring more humidity than usual to the area.
“I think we’ll see a lot of thunderstorms, increased threat of severe weather including tornadoes during the course of the summer,” Anderson said. “That’s going to keep the heat down during the day but the night is probably going to be warm and muggy.”
============

But now it is hot. It seems like we just had the furnace on, but now The AC is On (as in my blog title heh heh). Hopefully, it will soon cool for more seasonable temperatures because it is too early for this nonsense.

I hope the weather is better wherever you may be.



16 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I've split my Monday into three posts! It was a busy day!

That eye liner looks good on you!

The science is interesting. Any large gatherings are dangerous. Our Ontario numbers are slowing, thankfully.

I hope not, but my data from our precipitation looks to be leading to drought. We've had very little rain here.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

If we have to rely on the common sense of the populace we are doomed to fail!

Marcia said...

Not as industrious as you writing blogs so far in advance.
It's all the singing in churches producing droplets in the air that just get so concentrated after an hour or more service. That's why my church is meeting on zoom.

DJan said...

I saw that little paragraph somewhere but can't remember where. It's so true: you cannot walk around the street naked, and why wearing a face covering is political is beyond me. Thanks to our president, I guess. I live in fear he will be reelected. If so, our country is doomed.

Tabor said...

I am interestedin that classroom picture and wondering if it would help. Ialso think God is sending a message to church goers, but for some reason they are not being quite to listen to it.

Marie Smith said...

I saw several clergy interviewed who made the point that church is not a building, nor does it require one. Some people only hear what they want to hear however.

We are due for more heat and humidity this summer. We only have a week of humidity usually.

Shammickite said...

It's damn HOT here in my corner of S Ontario, so I was forced to fire up the AC and usually I try to hold off until at least the middle of June. I had to go out in the heat wearing my Covid mask, thought I was going to melt! But I shall continue to use the mask.... I'm not quite as stupid as all those people in the park a couple of days ago.

gigi-hawaii said...

Interesting quotes. We are wondering what will happen when the concert season starts in September. David says he doesn't want to wear a mask during the program. But...

Margaret said...

As I've pointed out to many people (who don't like to hear it), churches are super spreaders of the virus. And I'm not afraid to say that Donald Trump is a dumbass. AC is using A/C? I haven't pulled my free standing air conditioner out of the closet yet. Fingers crossed I won't need to for a while. I enjoyed Star Wars, but am much more of a Star Trek fan.

PipeTobacco said...

While I like and appreciate “Star Wars” as a film and a series of films, I tend to still feel the story telling and philosophy of “Star Trek” is stronger.

PipeTobacco

b said...

Glad to read about your life. Shucks, I’m just glad to be alive. Keep on keeping on

Rita said...

I brought my son to see Star Wars because a friend had just been, came over, said little 3 year old Dagan could watch it, and was so excited about the movie that he offered to pay for both of us--and off we went. I had never been in a movie theater where people shouted and cheered. Dagan has loved Star Wars ever since. My grandsons wear all kinds of Star Wars t-shirts...even though, oddly enough, they are 2 and 5 and have not seen the movie. I find that amusing since he loved it so and it made such a positive impression on him that he never forgot it.


So ashamed of our president. Humans...well...many of them, too.

Joanne Noragon said...

Well, that desk arrangement will cut down on note passing, and accurate paper air plane sailing.

dellgirl said...

Interesting how they have the classroom set up, wonder how well it works. I haven't talked to my daughter,but if school starts back here I'm ready to "Home School" grandson, Jace. He is a "high-risk" child, born with multiple medical issues. Blessed to be here, AND BLESSED to have made it to 10 years old.

I'd better stop now and just probably Blog about it...too much to say it all here.

Wishing you well, my friend. Stay Safe!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The comment about "WHY" we wear certain clothing items and use toiletries was very appropriate given the current situation. I have always worn the mentioned clothing except when in the priovacy of one's own home and personal hygiene is always crucial especially as hot weather approaches. Face masks will become uncomfortable and like other people not my favorite clothing wearable but I totally understand the need to mask up except when I'm outdoors and absolutely alone and social distancing from everyone.

William Kendall said...

The park fiasco was a travesty.