Wednesday, May 06, 2020

When AC Did Not Quite NAIL It

As I have posted in the past (but won't bother to link or repeat right now) I am a forgetful sort of person. Oddly enough, I can remember some things from the past quite well, for example the Inspector Lewis episode program that we recently rewatched. It was about five years ago that we first watched the program, but I could still definitely recall  a few of the key points in the story although Sue couldn't remember seeing it at all.

So I am not totally braindead, but it sure feels like it sometime.

To wit: for Sue's birthday, Shauna had dropped off a gift and told me to include the gift certificate that she had purchased and that I had picked up for her. This had been a day or two prior to going into isolation.

I drew a total blank at first.

Then, I recalled driving over to pick up the certificate from the vendor's mailbox.

But I still had no recollection of what I then did with it.

Obviously, I had put it out of sight to await the big day.

Way out of sight, for I couldn't find it for love nor money, as the saying goes.

In order for Sue to have something to open, I made a fake certificate for Sue to open. I mean I wasn't trying to fake the original but just wanted to have something in the envelope. It was an isolation birthday after all, so I needed to do what I could. (You may recall that She opened her gifts with Sha and the kids in a FB chat window.)


A few days ago, more than a month after the birthday and the fake certificate, I was looking up a medical document. Upon opening the file, lo and behold, I found the original voucher.

A partial excuse for my amnesia is that for many years, I simply had to one-time things in order to cope. When you have 30 senior essay exams to deal with in one day, for example, you read them, grade them, make a comment, and move on. You, or at least I, will not remember very many details. While I might remember that so-and-so wrote a really good essay, it is not likely that I will remember much about it. And then there are the many more less memorable papers, which didn't stand much of a chance or making a dent in my tiny brain.

This was survival for me. I would do the job as conscientiously as I could in the moment, but I had little opportunity to dwell on the essays or the myriad other teaching tasks that filled my days.

Out of necessity, Deal with it and move on, became my modus operandi.

So, I dealt with Shauna's request to pick up the certificate and immediately moved on to the point where I almost completely forgot about it and most certainly forgot about where I put the dadgummed thang.

Speaking of moving on, I now present the daily selfie in which Sue and I wonder what we can possibly do next. It is possible that after 7 weeks, we may be beginning to run out of templates. However, I think we have 1 or 2 more in the queue before we need to panic.



Danica, the burgeoning chef, made stuffed peppers. Don't they look yummy. I have never made stuffed peepers; I am a sad excuse of a human being.

Image may contain: 1 person, food

Another way to look at the provincial stats for new cases. The thick red line shows the five-day average, which shows the trend more clearly than the daily results (broken red line). We seem to have peaked around April 24.

Image





16 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

The stuffed peppers look great!

DJan said...

I have done the same more times than I can remember. Just put something away for safekeeping, and then... I can't imagine where in the universe those objects have gone. Usually I never find them again. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

My brain felt very "out of it" yesterday. I would start to write Woodbury...and get the Wood part but couldn't figure out the second part...and even spelling was relying way too much on spell-check. So I bought salmon. I've usually had about a 1/2 pound a week...in times when I could just buy a piece weekly. This time I splurged and got a full pound, fresh caught Atlantic Salmon. It may or may not have helped, but the old wives who said fish is brain food, must have known something. I had a shopping excursion which will last a few weeks, I hope.

PipeTobacco said...

I know the “deal with it and move on” mindset. I think it *has* to be a part of every teacher’s mental focus because the occupation is so linear and deadline focused.

The peppers look WONDERFUL!!!! I think I am going to suggest to my wife that in our next grocery queue we put in ingredients to make some ourselves!!! I think the last time we made some was probably in November.

PipeTobacco

gigi-hawaii said...

Funny about your memory lapses. The food looks delicious.

Marcia said...

Good look to that graph. Wish we could say that's happening here. Mr. Idiot President thinks all is fine and good. Will Canada let us in if T gets reelected? We'll be living closer by then in NH. Can we sneak over the border? LOL

Marie Smith said...

I have purchased items for people which I have never found. There is a black hole around here somewhere!

Margaret said...

I love the Inspector Lewis series, as well as many other Brit mystery series. (Vera, Shetland, George Gently, A Touch of Frost, Foyle's War among many others) I seem to have an affinity for irascible detectives. :) I'm glad you found the certificate, eventually! Were you an English teacher. That's one of the toughest jobs there is.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happens to the best of us, AC, myself included...now what was I going to comment? Ah yes, those memory lapses 😉and the best thing is that like you I eventually remember or find the missing item, especially when NOT looking for it. Those stuffed peppers did look wonderful. Thanks to Danica and your photos those will so will be in our dinner plans this week as a local market has multi-colored peppers on sale. Even sideways they looked wonderful!

Jenn Jilks said...

This is a familiar tale!
I always feel better, though, when I remember my parents sending my nearly 37-year-old his annual birthday check. He's always lose it!
I often read posts and forget by the time I get to the end, the parts I wanted to comment on, having to go right back.
It's worse this month.
I sure hope the trend down continues. Ottawa has a lot of cases, and cottage season is coming.

Joanne Noragon said...

I love stuffed peppers. Does Danica have a passport?

David M. Gascoigne, said...

There is no limit to how I can forget things, but I do make stuffed peppers!

MARY G said...

Do you think the chef might share that recipe. I am drooling on my keyboard.

I have lost a metal bowl 14" in diameter. Brain dead about covers it.

Rita said...

Absolutely have put things in a safe place and then cannot for the life of me remember where that safe place was. I also have grown unsure of what I actually have and what I used to have in the past and donated or gave away. I used to have an excellent memory--until fibromyalgia brain fog the past nearly 20 years. Now I say my mind is like a steel seive.

Mage said...

Get her recipe. :)

Blondi Blathers said...

"So I am not totally braindead, but it sure feels like it sometime.

Welcome to my world! -Kate