Saturday, May 23, 2020

Unmasked Hot Walk

A blog friend asks: "Just wondering - you have no mask requirements there in Canada when out and about?"
That's right. It is recommended that we mask in more closed environments, especially when the distance rule is in jeopardy, but there are no regulations. Our premier has reaffirmed that stores can refuse customers who don't mask if they so choose, but I think he was just making clear what has always been the case.
After months of cold and a late spring, I was caught unprepared for the heat yesterday. When I had last looked at the forecast a few days ago, I thought I saw that the temperature would only rise to the low-twenties yesterday. Then, when I found myself extremely hot and sweaty on our walk, I thought that I just wasn't used to normal temperatures. It was then that Sue checked her watch and saw that it was 29C/84F. Exerting yourself, or at least myself, under a bright sun in that temperature is hot work, indeed.

But it was rather grand to have the midpoint bench reopened, and we spent a rather pleasant 10 minutes or so there.

Our view, which, of course, you have seen before.



I made a little video: it sweeps across the river, toward the trail, and to Sue on the bench. (Oops. I had to trim it because the file was too big for Blogger — probably because it was too high resolution rather than too long.)


So, todays selfies will just be us on the bench. The first is from setting my compact camera on the ground in timer mode — all legs due to the low camera position. The second is from Sue's phone. Expect the silly selfies to return soon.



There have been many painted rocks left in the park and along trails for the enjoyment of passersby in these times, but we found two that were a notch above. The first was in the tree beside the bench, the second in another spot as we left the park.




14 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

I love the painted rocks! And he color of the water . And o course, the legs!

Marcia said...

Thanks for the mask clarification. I think here in my county we are to wear masks all the time though when outside and no one passing by I pull it down. I've seen joggers and bicyclists not wearing them.

Painted rocks are definitely a thing. One of the life enrichment staff here spent hours painting them and then placing them all over the campus. Did Shauna put one of her staff to work doing the same?

Going to be 80ยบ here today.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Lovely selfies. Great video! Great painted rocks. Someone has a lot of imagination.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

These outdoor selfies were so nice to see and just being outdoors on a favorite bench must have been wonderful. We also have been outdoors and maskless as that is still permissible here, thankfully.

Barbara Rogers said...

Loved the video of river scene. And having 2 selfies was a bonus.

Marie Smith said...

The sound of the water is lovely! A bit of freedom after so many weeks is great!

gigi-hawaii said...

I love your photos, all of them. You have been posting daily without a break. Awesome!

Margaret said...

Wonderful selfies--you look so relaxed! We're getting some of that weather later this week, in fact Friday is supposed to be 31 or so. Yikes, a bit too hot for me. Beautiful scenery and rocks!

DJan said...

Now that is hot, to my way of thinking. I like it to be no more than 25, and even that's a bit warm. Love the video. Thanks for the uplifting post. Stay safe and keep cool! :-)

Tabor said...

I told my husband that our lovely and long coolish spring would soon descend into hellish summer. I am sad about that. Keep up with the photos.

dellgirl said...

Your photos are captivating, as usual. It was interesting to hear your “Hot Walk” story.
I ’m smiling about that. Nice selfie, I like it. I’m just stopping by to show my face and to say hello.

Have a great weekend - Stay Safe!

Joanne Noragon said...

It became too warm here, too. As if. I think it was 85. Wonderful rocks.

Mara said...

That first painted rock is lovely. It seems to have a story to tell for some reason. Perhaps it does?

All our public transport will carry a 'face mask obligation' from June 1st on, when the services return to full. I wonder what it is like to wear one all day long...

Jenn Jilks said...

It's quite a deal with the masks. Once on, you cannot touch it. Pulling it down renders it contaminated. You're only supposed to touch the loops.

The violence in the US, refusing entry for people without one, and them getting angry. It's awful, but the the US leadership is a loose ship. The conspiracy theories abound, too.

Well, we'll get through this in Canada. It's gonna be a long run, though. Maybe a slow walk.

That temperature was something, wasn't it? I changed clothes three times.