Thursday, May 28, 2020

Backyard Remembrances

This post will be about our backyard flowers, but I know that you'd miss the selfie, so let's do that first. Some styles won't do two people in one shot, so I blended to photos together to keep up the meme.


The myosotis or forget-me-nots are in bloom. I try to get a photograph every year although I'm pretty sure I didn't bother last year as I was still in recovery from my double hernia surgery.

It's an old old story for some of you, but here it is again, in brief.

My dad planted a few of these flowers in our garden about 40 years ago in our place across the province. Some descendant plants were brought here and almost 40 generations later, Dad's forget-me-nots help us to remember. We shake the plants around every year when the go to seed to keep them coming back.

I have lots of closeup photos from previous years, so I just went out back and took a few quick photos of the big drift near the fence.




Our lilac bush is in bloom.


We have only one annual plant so far. It was a Mothers Day gift.


The hostas are coming along. There are several out front, but this one in the back was here when we arrived 15 years ago. We have transplanted it to a different spot, and it has thrived, but why do I want to write, thriven?


There is a mostly unmaintained easement outside our fence although I do mow it a few times a year. I opened the gate for a quick shot but it was buggy, so I didn't linger. Those are more forget-me-nots in the background. They got there on their own, fecund little blighters that they are. But you can't beat dandelions for fecundity, can you?


In front, the few tulips we had are already in rapid decline, so I won't bother taking any front yard photographs for now. It is more of a summer garden, so perhaps in future.

We just got some bedding plants put in. Our neighbour volunteered to shop for us if we would give her a list of what we wanted. We've been fortunate to be helped by various people during this time.


16 comments:

Marcia said...

A friend gave me forget me nots that I planted at our house. Loved having them spread like you described.

The perennials in the raised bed in the garden downstairs are holdovers too. Many came originally from my mother in law, or the house we had when daughters were growing up and even lilies of the valley descended from some we got from Dan's grandparents in 1979. Soon they will be traveling to make their home in Buffalo. Looking forward to that trip -our first since this all set in.

DJan said...

Foret-me-nots are pretty flowers. I am a new follower so I didn't know the story. You reminded me it's time to get my bug spray out and add it to my hiking pack. :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

I love the dandelions, as well as the forget-me-don'ts. (My mom's word!)
Those selfies are something.
I did a garden post, too!

PipeTobacco said...

The lilacs in our region are starting to bloom as well with the warm weather. The smell is wonderful!

Your selfie beard looks pretty similar to my actual one at the moment, except mine is a bit bigger all the way around.

PipeTobacco

Blondi Blathers said...

Lilacs in bloom! Our rows of them haven't even leafed out yet. Thank goodness for photos from other parts of the world to remind me of what I have to look forward to. We had a decent rain yesterday so it won't be long now ... but it was so cold I went out at suppertime and brought all the bedding plants in early.

Barbara Rogers said...

Ahoy maties....your beard is pretty good looking, but Sue will need a bit of a trim. Love to see and hear about background of Forget-me-nots...and I'm imagining the scent of lilacs. But that strange dark dandelion photo is really striking! Enjoy puttering in dirt. I mean soil!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Those forget-me-nots have not been forgotten in your garden and shaking the seeds around has certainly assued their longevity. The lilacs here have bloomed and gone but remain one of my personal favorites for the color and the scent. Looks like you will both need a trim and cut soon mates.

Tabor said...

My forget-me-nots are a bit everywhere but not in the carpet abundance of beauty that you have. They do linger and spread just like my columbine. Those selfies were not nice about noses.

Margaret said...

I don't think Sue likes being in the Navy! I don't blame her since I'm prone to seasickness. Forget me nots don't allow us to forget them; they grow everywhere. :) At least they're pretty! I wish I had lilacs for the smell, but I don't have room for how big the bush would grow. I have my bedding plants(annuals?) in also and am enjoying their blooms.

gigi-hawaii said...

It's hard to believe that plants can live for 40 plus years. Wow.

Joanne Noragon said...

I like all those flowers. Hostas, lilacs, daiseys, and the forget me nots.

Marie Smith said...

Your garden must look lovely me mateys.

Vicki Lane said...

I love the forgetmenots--and their story!

dellgirl said...

Your flowers are beautiful, and you have so many of them. The photos are great, so vivid. Thanks for sharing the beauty. The selfie is quite different and really cute.

Wishing you well, Stay Safe!

Rita said...

The forget-me-nots are more special because of the history. All are so pretty and doing well. :)

William Kendall said...

I got a lot of tulips shots in, but most of them are now done.