Sunday, May 24, 2020

Gone to Seed

Perhaps we shall begin with a selfie. I wonder what thoughts the hats invoke. Zorro? A formal event? Gangsters? A pair of senior nitwits?


We were very brave yesterday — until we weren't.

In thinking about the garden and flowers or lack of flowers at the moment, Sue and I decided we could take a chance on a smaller nursery out of town. Being small, somewhat distant, and open to the air, we figured we could wear masks and chance the exposure.

When we arrived, however, the parking lot was overflowing. If that wasn't enough to turn us back, and let me assure you that it was enough, the people that we happened to see were unmasked.

So our first major foray in 9+ weeks did not eventuate.

As we drove back into town however, I passed a field of dandelions with trees in the background. Thought I, "Perhaps I shall return in evening light to take a picture."

Come early evening, AC happily headed out with his gear. Guess what? The dandelions were gone to seed, or most of them anyway. How in the world did that happened so quickly?

I swear that pictures that I plan seldom work out for me. I seem to have to stumble across something with camera gear in hand. Oh well.

A day or two earlier, however, I did return to a scene that had looked interesting when we drove by — trees by the mill, or former mill. These pics will do in a pinch. They will have to do, for I have nothing else to show.



The first photo (above) is the one that I had seen in passing, but the second one works better for me.

And since it has been awhile, permit me to close with yet another selfie — a hat selfie at that.







13 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Yes, another senior quirky pair! It's a great club.

I have been wrestling with getting flowers. I wished I'd gone when they were doing outdoor pickup.
I thought about Monday morning. I'm not sure I have the energy.

Vicki Lane said...

Those trees are quite beautiful. No apologies.

Marcia said...

My daughter sent photos to us of our granddaughters picking dandelions in a field. It was lovely. I didn't know that blooms were short-lived either.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I like that Zorro hat photo. I like the trees. I am glad you decided not to go in...

Barbara Rogers said...

Great silly hats. Sorry the dandelions didn't listen to your needs, nor the plant customers. Like the tree above the wall. Stay safe y'al!

Tabor said...

So odd that the dandelions went to seed so fast. Maybe you saw a much smaller part in bloom. I got one or two good photos of birds from our recent boat trip and may post those on my other blog. You are brave to do those selfies and I am guessing they are super reassuring to your loved ones.

gigi-hawaii said...

I like all of your selfies. You are very creative with the computer. I still don't know how you do it. Lol.

Margaret said...

Those are gorgeous photos with the trees and the colors! I too focus on the shots that "got away." In my case, any artistic photo is an accident! I love the hats--very dashing! Sorry about your unsuccessful foray; that's happened to me at the grocery store. I've turned around and gone home because the parking lot was too full.

Marie Smith said...

The two photos are beautiful AC. I like both selfies too but the first is my favourite.

Mage said...

I love the old canal and lock. Selfies...you have gotten awfully good at these.

DJan said...

Nothing to apologize for here. Wonderful pictures and selfies. I like the red lipstick in the first one. :-)

Rita said...

You're smart not to have gone in to that nursery.
I guess you need to travel around with a camera at hand or be able to return quickly because you take such wonderful pics that way.
I like both the hat selfies--LOL! ;)

Haddock said...

Ha ha ...., the first thought that came into my mind when I saw that first picture was ..... Zorro. :-)