Tuesday, May 26, 2020

The Dandies

When I wrote, two days ago, of my dismay that the dandelions had disappeared just when I decided to photograph them, well they were back the next morning, or at least another bunch had opened up. Maybe dandelions close up at night? This is something that I have never considered and haven't learned in my 72+ years. It's true; Canadians are a dumb lot.

So, I did have a chance to experiment on the next day. My idea was to get low with a wide angle lens to get the flowers/weeds in the foreground and trees in the background. It worked somewhat, but I made the choice to crop away some of the immediate foreground dandelions, for the ones that were really close to the camera looked too patchy with too much space between them leaving too much detail of grass and ground, which were not photogenic in this case. Live and learn.


This photo ↑ was taken in the field just opposite us, the one attached to a school and a daycare centre. It also serves as a community soccer pitch on summer evenings, but not this year, of course.

From there, I drove into the outlying area of the town to look for trilliums one more time before their blooms withered for another year. It was buggy, so I shot from the roadside and across the ditch down to the flowers. The results were horrendous, and I deleted all of those photos almost as soon as I uploaded them to the computer.

After my futile session with the trilliums, I spotted another field of dandelions with a tree along the same country road. I made a stop and took a very quick photo with my long lens fully zoomed out to 400mm.


Why so quick, AC?

Because I have never encountered so many mosquitoes to descend on me with such rapidity. Swarmed, I tell ya. I couldn't even get back into the car without letting a whole slew of the rascals in to hitchhike.

I drove home with all of the windows open, hoping that the hitchhikers would been blow away. When I got home I closed all of the windows. If there were any of the wretched biters remaining, surely they would cook. Whether it was the open windows of the drive or the closed windows in the driveway, something worked, as a later drive revealed that they were gone.

That's the story behind these two photos, and I am quite pleased with the results. While there seems not to be much to photograph locally, it is good to come up with a new idea.

And . . . it's another day, so here's another selfie.







17 comments:

Marcia said...

BOth those pictures came out well.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I liked the second photo and glad you got out before the mosquitoes 🦟 got you. We have also been places where they swarmed into our car and we too drove with the windows open to encourage them to leave.

DJan said...

You remind me how fortunate we are here, where we get so much beauty and the bugs, especially mosquitos, tend to stay down for some reason. And I do keep my bug spray handy when needed. I love your pictures, all three of them. :-)

Vicki Lane said...

Nice pictures! One must suffer for one's art.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Glorious dandelions! Nice selfie...I just read of someone who made a coat of arms with a unicorn in it. It stood for imagination of which you seem to have plenty!

Tabor said...

Now I am wondering who makes these memes(?) that people use on their phones?? Seemingly endless styles. I never thought about dandelions opening and closing, but you are correct and the result is some stunning landscapes!

Barbara Rogers said...

You all are unique enough, without becoming unicorns! The dandelions did come out great...a good idea worth pursuing. Shhh, our mosquito season hasn't started yet, and I sat out on my porch for 20 minutes yesterday. Today there's rain again. Guess what brings mosquitoes!

MARY G said...

That really worked well. And I am with you about the mosquies. plus black flies. Plus moths at every window where there are lights. Just chased last night's entrants back outside.
Than k you for posting every day, and keeping us all cheered up with your positive attitude and silly photos.
Hope your daughter and grandkids continue to do well. We had a birthday supper with our granddaughter on Sunday. Not only did we get to see them, but I didn't have to cook. priceless, as they say.

Jenn Jilks said...

The bugs really are horrid.
The dandelions are wonderful. Ours have gone to seed, here in the back yard.
Happy trails, you crazy peopel!

Margaret said...

I love the artistry of the pictures, especially the first one. It takes a field of the lowly dandelion (weed) and turns it into a beautiful expanse of yellow flowers. Mosquitoes, already? We don't have them much where I live, so that would be painful and annoying. I like the unicorn decor! Very whimsical.

gigi-hawaii said...

Eh, where's the lipstick? Lol.

Marie Smith said...

The mosquitos have been out here for a few weeks despite the cold on occasion. There are lots of yellow lawns around here now, including our own. Food for the bees we say.

You asked about the island getting back to normal. Slowly things are getting back to a new normal, with all the Covid precautions in place. Stage 3 begins next week.

Joanne Noragon said...

I like what you did, including death to mosquitoes.

Red said...

Good story to go along with the experience of trying to get a good photo.

Rita said...

We're just getting warm enough to hatch out those little buggers. They can drive you crazy. Glad you got the photos you did. Love the selfies, as usual. :)

Kay said...

Your photos are so beautiful. Those landscapes almost beg to also be painted.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

We have dandelions aplenty around here, but I haven't noticed mosquitoes to any great extent.