Tuesday, May 05, 2020

Sweating and Distancing

Sweaty Weather

Although we are back to more normal weather this week, it was very nice for the weekend or at least part of it. Sunday morning was mild and sunny with temperatures approaching 20C/70F or even above. But one doesn't think, and I found myself working in the garden in my normal early spring attire which consists of sweatpants, long sleeve shirt, and even long, wooly socks. The work was neither terribly long nor strenuous (although it felt like it), and as a consequence, I got sweaty enough to require a shower.

Sadly, the 14 day forecast informs me that I shan't have to worry about those temperatures again for awhile.

===============

Distancing Difficulties

Before showering, Shauna and her boyfriend, who had been enjoying the fine weather cruising around in his spiffy sports car convertible, stopped in the driveway for a few minutes.

Image may contain: one or more people, hat, sunglasses, outdoor and closeup

Sue who is very conscientious about keeping her distance lost her mind and went right up to both of them in turn. She didn't hug, but she was oblivious to being well within 2 metres.

She did the same thing on the previous night when a neighbour entered our driveway during our Hero Hullabaloo.Here they are with their bodhrans.



Old habits do indeed die hard.

================

The Daily Selfie

We are sure to wear flowers in our hair.



===============

Positive Provincial Trend

I found this chart showing daily cases from March 26 to May 03. It is not always easy to see trends from daily data which jumps around quite a lot, so I compared the 9 days from April 16-24 to the 9 days from April 25 - May 03. The trend looks positive.


In the 9 days from April 16-24, there were 5132 new cases for an average of 570 per day.

However, in the 9 days from April 25 - May 03, there were more than 100 fewer new cases, down to 4034, which averages to 448 per day. That is an average daily decrease of 122 new cases, which is a 21% decrease from the previous 9 day segment.

To be sure, however, those are a lot of new cases, but we do see signs of progress, and this is occurring even as testing has ramped up more.





11 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Glad to see you all looking at trends rather than exact numbers...smart. But Sue needs to keep her distance! I do love that she's drumming. Yes to flowers, wherever they may land!

Marie Smith said...

Great trend. The isolation is working!

gigi-hawaii said...

Love that plumeria above your ear. Good news that the virus rate is decreasing.

Margaret said...

I love Sue's hat and her outfit! Sometimes it's difficult for me to remember to keep my distance; my personal space is small, so it's hard to change my habits. I'm looking forward to a run of nice weather, but that means I want flowers and tomatoes to plant. Am I brave enough to go to a nursery? Or my local hardware store?

Mage said...

Yees, distancing and isolation do work.

Joanne Noragon said...

That is a difficult instrument to play.

Kay said...

Oh yay! You’re wearing plumerias! I love it!

We had two days of only 1 new case of COVID-19 infection. So the governor lifted some of the restrictions. Today, we got 4 cases. Frankly, I’m leery of opening up things too soon.

Rita said...

Must try and remember to keep that distance.
When I saw your picture today I thought you two were going to San Francisco--LOL!
We've been on a slow rise here and yet they mostly opened up on the first. Never even had an official lock down in North Dakota. Crazy! We are staying diligently in quarantine.
Stay safe!! :)

DJan said...

I had to go look up the meaning of bodhrans in the dictionary. I'm glad you are making progress in your province. We are, too. No new deaths in over two weeks in our county. :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

You have a lively community! But then, you are a lively pair!

MARY G said...

Our daughter broke down and actually entered the house on the weekend. (With some distancing set up.) The first time we had seen her since January. I cannot even say how good that was. I can certainly understand Sue.