Wednesday, June 08, 2022

The Orchid Photo Edited

I know that I flooded you with orchid pics a few days ago, including this one.

I also posted it on Flickr where a few of my people postulated that I should crop away the half-petal on the left. I had already considered this, but I didn't want to just crop it away and change the aspect ratio of the whole photo, so, I used the magic of  AI content aware fill. It doesn't always work, but it rendered just what I wanted in this case. It extended the branch properly and blended the background appropriately. I then altered the crop minimally to suit the new arrangement. 

Whether good or bad, and whether just cropping it away would have been better, I did get what I had been hoping for. I was particularly pleased with the extended branch, without me having to do the painstaking, manual work that I thought it was going to involve.


13 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

That is such a beautiful flower. The second photo does show the flower to its best.

Barbara Rogers said...

Let's hear it for the photo editor! Hip Hip Hoorah! Sorry to sound so cheerful early in my morning. But the birds are all awake and chipper, chirping away, so I guess I caught it from them.

Marcia said...

That does make for a better photograph. Any shows in your future this year?

Marie Smith said...

I have yet to learn how to crop photos as you did here. At this point, it’s probably not going to happen. You have that skill, AC.

gigi-hawaii said...

Good job! I love the color of this orchid. Gigi hawaii

Margaret said...

What a beauty! It's an unusual orchid color to me but perhaps I just haven't seen very many of them. Glad it wasn't too much work to fix.

Jeanie said...

It works!

RedPat said...

The magic of computers.

PipeTobacco said...

Very nice! The flowers have such contrast in the orangish pattern that it almost looks like freckles!

When are income taxes due in Canada? In the US, our procrastination every year has my wife and I a little nervous that we will meet the April 15th deadline.

MARY G said...

Impressive. I may have to (sweating) try it.

Jenn Jilks said...

I agree with your cropping!

dellgirl said...

Absolutely beautiful, BOTH shots! My untrained photographers' eye can only marvel at the awesome-ness of this amazing flower. Truth-Be-Told, it would depend on what kind of mood I'm in as to which photo I would pick (at any given time).

William Kendall said...

It's pretty.