Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Bunny Brain

I parked in the handicap spot, got out, and walked toward the door. When I saw someone exit with their mask still on, I finally remembered mine. Back to the car I trudged to obtain my black mask with the big red maple leaf, front and centre. So Canadian am I..

My next attempt to enter the store was thwarted by yet another return to the car. This time, I realized that I had forgotten to display my handicap parking pass. Back I trudged again.

This I did without my cane. I don't take it into the grocery store because, once inside, I am using my hands to push the cart. One time, I did take it in. To free my hands, I put the cane in the cart . . . and left it there. After driving home, I realized what I had done, so I was forced to drive back to the store and walk in to retrieve the device sans cane anyway.

That was actually the incident that caused me to apply for the handicap pass. If I wasn't going to bring my cane into the store with me, at least the pass would allow me to park nearer to the door.

I have written this before, but I repeat it now. It is what my mother told me, even when I was young and my forgetfulness couldn't yet be blamed on senility. "John, you'd forget your head if it wasn't screwed on." It's just the way that I am and have always been.

The extra footage (so to speak, haha), didn't get me down, however, for earlier in the day, when I had gone out to the car at 6:30 to pickup Danica and take her to work, there was a bunny on the front lawn. I did not forget to take a picture, which I have cropped madly for your viewing pleasure. I find that seeing a bunny early in the day, provides pleasure enough to help carry me through the day despite those incommodious memory lapses.



18 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

You are fortunate to use disabled parking. It really is great for those with mobility issues.
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

Ed said...

My mom said the same thing, but fairly rarely to me... fortunately.

Barbara Rogers said...

I drove a friend's car yesterday, so was unable to use the handicap slots to park in...though I could have and always forget to bring mine with me. It's really connected to my car's license, but what police are that insensitive to elders?

Boud said...

I usually rationalize my extra trips because of forgetting, with: think of the exercise I'm getting! Especially when it involves stairs.

Marcia said...

My husband Dan is the same way. Its his glasses or his coffee cup. We just spent 5 minutes trying to find the latter. He'd forgotten he took it upstairs.

NGS said...

My husband is absent-minded. It's one of his quirks that I love about him, but I do worry that as we get older, that quirk is going to get worse and it won't be as charming!

The Furry Gnome said...

Bunnies are the enemy here, they eat things in the garden!

PipeTobacco said...

Hah! Absent-mindedness is a forte of mine too, regrettably. I have always been that way, much to my wife’s chagrin. I am glad you have the special parking pass.

PipeTobacco

Joanne Noragon said...

Wabbits are pretty neat.

William Kendall said...

Wascally wabbits are such cuties.

Margaret said...

I wish my mom would ask for a disabled parking pass. She really needs one! However, she's incredibly stubborn. I have several bunnies who hop through my yard. I find them charming but Mari wants to break through the door to chase them around. Or worse.

peppylady (Dora) said...

When I leave place I always, well a lot of the time. I feel like I'm forgetting something.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Rita said...

I heard it--You'd forget your head if it wasn't attached. Maybe a little difference in Minnesota--LOL!

Patio Postcards said...

Seeing a bunny is such a sweet moment. With those moments of remembering, you were at least getting your steps in for the day.

Marie Smith said...

Footage is a good one, AC. And if you’re up anyway, a sunrise photo shoot is a great way to pass the time.

Jeanie said...

I view bunnies as my happy creature and I agree -- you see one and it gets you through. I'm up to 20 sightings this year. (It's possible some of these are the same bunny but not at the same time. Just being honest!).

Good move on the parking pass/cane. I remember my dad left his cane in a cart at the grocery and when he went back to get it, it had been stolen. It was his dad's, so it meant something, but even so, what a bad thing to do! Most people don't carry a cane for mindless fashion!

Mage said...

Oh, we do not have bunnies nor do we have squirrels.

William Kendall said...

Such a cute wascally wabbit.