Sunday, June 26, 2022

Fog-Diffused Light

Thursday morning was to be a good morning for the aligning of five planets plus the moon (image just below, but it's not mine). This wouldn't occur again until 2040, by which time my corporeal matter will, almost certainly, be returning to the earth. 

What I might have seen on a clear night

The configuration would best be seen about an hour before dawn. I set my watch to rumble me at 3am.

I then checked the weather forecast, saw that it was going to be overcast, and turned the alarm off. Missing the sighting and photo op wasn't about to bother me too much, for it was more of a mild curiosity than a keen interest.

When I awoke at 3 for one of my twice-nightly jaunts to the commode I looked out the window and, through bleary eyes in the dark, thought I espied fog. 

Since photographers kind of dream about fog, I wasn't able to settle back to sleep very well, for it would be a nightmare to miss the opportunity.

I gave in and arose sometime after 4, confirmed the fogginess, and headed out without even bothering to brew my usual jolt of java.

The actual goal that I had in mind, was for me to be stationed at the other end of this ↓ little back bridge to photograph car headlights coming toward me from out of the fog. I would have to position myself at that far end because it is presently a one-way bridge, going in the direction in which my camera was pointing in these photos.

You may want to click to see it at least somewhat larger.

The fog, although not very apparent in the darkness of these two images, was really diffusing the light from the streetlamp, and I quite liked the effect, which is why I stopped where I did. I like the outcomes well enough. I often drawn to low-key photos, and I quite like both of these.


I did go on to set up on the other side, and, eventually , a vehicle did come along. (It was very early, so I had to wait awhile). I snapped the picture but didn't much like the result, so I am not going to inflict it upon you.

I didn't want to linger because the wait for the first vehicle had been long enough. I also thought that I had a good photo but saw that I didn't when I got the images up on the monitor. I moved on to a different location, but I didn't like those images either.

It's just as well that I stopped to take the two unplanned photos because the more planned ones, both at this location and another, didn't work out all that well.


12 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I like the mystery associated with the shot that the fog affords. That deep blue is beautiful!

Debby said...

That picture looks magical.

Jeanie said...

I would have loved to see that planetary alignment. Fog -- it's fascinating how it diffuses the light so beautifully. I love how the streetlight loos in these.

Barbara Rogers said...

I love the intimacy which fog allows, everything that exists in a fog world is what's closest to one.

MARY G said...

Ah, the product of a far from foggy brain. Love these.

Vicki Lane said...

Nice shots. I admire your dedication.

Jenn Jilks said...

You sure get some artsy fartsy work! I quite like it.
I saw the fog that day, and ran for my camera. By the time I returned it was less than artsy!
(ツ) from Cottage Country , ON, Canada!

Margaret said...

It looks like a mystery road leading off into darkness. Jack the Ripperish. I hope you finally got your cup(s)of coffee!

William Kendall said...

Fog lends a good touch for photos.

RedPat said...

These shots worked well.

Red said...

Decisions, decisions! As some say you can't win for losing. However, each time you go out you learn something and then you tell it to us.

Joanne Noragon said...

The photos you did take are lovely. There will be more fog in the fall. Of course, it will be colder.