Friday, June 03, 2022

Divide and Conquer Those Bloomin Idiots

As I predicted yesterday, the Cons won the election. What I didn't quite predict was their overwhelming majority. They took 83 seats while 4 other parties won a combined 41 ridings. The New Democratic Party came in second with 31 of those 41 seats. Also, as predicted, the centre-left vote was almost equally split between the NDP and Liberals, for, together, they had almost 46% of the total vote. The Liberals won only 8 seats to the NDP's 31 although they had a very slightly higher percentage of the total vote. 

The Cons won their huge majority with only ~41% of the vote. It often happens this way – that the governing party does not receive a majority of the votes, but such an overwhelming majority of seats is highly unusual.

It is a case of Divide and Conquer, except that the Libs and NDP did it to themselves, and it is the majority of us who get to suffer.

Meanwhile, I did work on a few more orchid photos. This was not because we are a bunch of bloomin idiots, but it seems to fit. The last one is about as close as I can get with my gear. I was just seeing how close I could get and am not thinking that I see artistic worth in these very close photos. I do like the first photo quite a bit, though. I did not alter the background in that photo like I did in yesterday's, and I don't mind it at all. I don't need to experiment with every photo.





18 comments:

DJan said...

It's beautiful, AC.

Vicki Lane said...

Politics--arrgh! But that first orchid shot is a winner. I love the sideview of the bloom on the left.

Boud said...

What are the policies you don't like from the conservatives? I'm interested to know in what way you see suffering in store. As an outsider, it's not possible to detect.

Barbara Rogers said...

I agree with Vicki. Why are the liberals divided if they know they won't win that way? First photo is great as is...aren't orchids amazing flowers in their strange anatomy?

Marie Smith said...

Love the orchid shots!

People had short memories when it came to Ford, then again, the alternatives weren’t great either. It might be a case of the devil you know…

MARY G said...

I do too.

gigi-hawaii said...

I don't follow Canadian politics, but hope Canada keeps the monarchy. Gigi-Hawaii

The Furry Gnome said...

I concur on the election results! If only we didn't have two left-wing parties splitting that 46%! And your orchid photos are amazing. Sorry I haven't been commenting, blogger has not allowed me to.

William Kendall said...

Lovely shots.

gigi-hawaii said...

My comment disappeared. Gigi hawaii

Jeanie said...

I see the world getting more and more conservative and this can't be good for the people. I always think Canada is much smarter than the U.S. Sigh. Well, at least you have lovely freckled orchids!

Margaret said...

Blooming flowers are much better than blooming idiots. Liberals can't seem to coalesce behind one ideology like conservatives. Our crazy ones vote in lockstep on mostly every issue whereas the Dems are split between the moderates and the progressives. In the U.S. moderate Republicans are a dying breed.

Red said...

We can discuss elections over and over and around and around. It is what it is. This one is sad because so few people voted.

Ed said...

Despite elections rarely going my way, the world still keeps turning and things rarely are as bad as most say would be.

Jenn Jilks said...

I am so angry with the election. I was hoping for a minority.
Your photos are amazing.

Jenn Jilks said...

It is awful.

Kay said...

I'm worried about our elections. There's so much at stake over here. Getting rid of assault weapons, abortion rights, voting rights, etc.

I once had an orchid in Illinois that I couldn't get to bloom for years. Gave it away to an orchid lover when we left Illinois and of course, it bloomed for her. Your orchid is gorgeous! Your macros always blow me away.

Christina said...

Love a wee orchid. I have many but none that beautiful soft yellow.

It is puzzling (worrying) how the Conservatives anywhere win election after election.