Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Another Very Early Photoshoot

On Saturday evening, I checked the morning forecast. When I saw that there would be a mixture of cloud and sun around sunrise, I was so tempted that I set the alarm on my watch for 4 o'clock.

One trouble with summer photography is that the sun rises so doggone early and sets quite late. I wanted to be to my location at least a half hour before the actual rising. Mostly, I find it preferable to take photos before the actual sunrise, for that is when you may be very lucky.

Fortunately, I was only travelling a few minutes from home. I was hoping for some good sky effects over a nearby pond.

Before I reached the pond, I saw a very appealing sight. One of the planets (I am told it was Venus), could be seen fairly close to the crescent moon. The sky was blue above but orange below and along the highway and its lights.

I composed as best I could and squeezed the shutter at 4:43, about 35 minutes before the rising. You can barely see the Venus, especially at this resolution, but I love this serendipitous image. 

(If you wish to seen Venus better, this link will take your computer to my higher resolution Flickr version of this photo. You can then press Z to zoom to full screen. Then, you can also press next or hit the ← to go forward to see the second image. But you need to press the space bar to get out of zoom mode first.)

By the time that I shifted over to the pond, peak sky effects were gone, but this result is pretty good too. You can see how much lighter it was 12 minutes later, even though it would still be 20 minutes before sunrise.


I think it was worth missing another hour or two of sleep. 

21 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done!
I thought of you when I was awake at 3:30. I decided to go back to sleep!
(ツ) from Jenn Jilks , ON, Canada!

Marie Smith said...

I admire early risers. That’s usually when I am finally getting some sleep!

Barbara Rogers said...

I like both these beautiful morning shots. There's calmness in dawn. Thanks for giving up a few zzz's

DJan said...

Beautiful scenes, AC, thanks for missing sleep for them! :-)

Jeanie said...

Someday I'll make sunrise. YOu make it look worth getting up for!

gigi-hawaii said...

Since I am using a tablet, I was able to stretch the first photo and see Venus clearly. Awesome! I love it. Good job. Gigi hawaii

gigi-hawaii said...

Since I am using a tablet, I was able to stretch the first photo and see Venus clearly. Awesome! I love it. Good job. Gigi hawaii

Patio Postcards said...

Both are such good photos - WOW. At 4am this morning I watched two bunnies frolic in my clover lawn :)

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Your lovely shot over the pond makes me realize how much I miss when I sleep beyond sun up !

RedPat said...

Fabulous. I am always asleep at that time.

Debby said...

I was up at two. I had a splitting headache, took something for it and went back to bed. I guess that I should have looked out the window.

William Kendall said...

I saw that crescent moon. I don't know why I didn't take a shot.

Red said...

Yes, it was worth missing sleep. Sunrises can give some very awesome light.

Joanne Noragon said...

Great photos.

Mage said...

That one shot is really a winner.

Haddock said...

The blazing sky. Oh yes.... it was worth missing the sleep.

Christina said...

I admire you for getting up at silly time to take an excellent photograph. I don't think I'd ever have the discipline to do the same. The photos are stunning, worth missing sleep over!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

These shots were worth getting up early to capture, AC. Despite my best intentions, I have not managed a sunrise in a long time, so glad you shared yours.

Margaret said...

Since I don't get up for sunrise, I especially enjoyed your beautiful photos.

Kay said...

These are very gorgeous, interesting photos. You are truly photographer extraordinaire.

Rita said...

I don't get good sunrises here at ground level in the building so I LOVE seeing your photos...of either sunrises or sunsets, for that matter. :)