Monday, June 06, 2022

Sleepyhead Goes Shopping

Friday night, I awoke somewhat unhappily after just 4 hours of sleep, give or take. I tried, but I knew that I wasn't about to fall asleep again. But I was wrong.

I got up, left the bed, fixed up my den chair with a sheet and blanket because the night was very cool for June – getting down probably below 10C/50F. I snuggled myself in and awoke about 90 minutes later. I cannot fathom why that happens sometimes. Why I cab sleep in one bed or chair and not the other?

The next night transpired in much the same way, except I couldn't sleep in my chair this time after I made the switch. I was experiencing some pain in my lower abdomen, I don't know if it was from a strained muscle from mulching or something else. What a pickle life can become at this age, but I'm still here and carrying on. 

That was Saturday night, but I felt fit enough to do some grocery shopping on Sunday and was pleased to observe by the lack of masks that the pandemic is all but over. When they first stopped the compulsory mask requirement, it seemed as though 80% chose to keep masking. However, on Sunday, it seemed like we might be down to 1/3. I am not overly impressed with that, but cases are declining, like they tend to do in summer.

But I am not sure when is the best time to shop anymore. I have shopped during weekends, after weekends, and midweek but I can't figure out when the shelves will be most fully stocked. It seems that whatever time I choose, some of  the items on my list are simply not there. These are often on-sale items, so I guess it is partly understandable. On the other hand it does seem to be more of a pandemic issue, for this store always seemed well-stocked in pervious times.

21 comments:

Ed said...

I haven’t worn my mask in several months but it is washed and ready to go, with one in my car console, should I ever feel the need again.

Marcia said...

CDC lowered infection rate for our area to moderate but for closed in stores like grocery stores I'll still mask up. Glad to hear you got some sleep.

Marie Smith said...

I use the mask in theatres and grocery stores but around me, many are unmasked now. I feel a bit safer since we had the second booster. Hope you get a night’s sleep tonight, AC.

Jeanie said...

I'm not sure the shelves are ever stocked all that well anymore. I had a similar thought last week when I was shopping. I feel for you with the sleep. Rick often has sleep issues like that and I see the toll they take.

Barbara Rogers said...

Yep, just making it through life (remember carefree days in our youths?) we just seem to have one area of our being or another which calls for attention. I sure seldom appreciated all those carefree days! Mask is available, and I sometimes will wear it...small and crowded areas are my usually choice. But thankfully I can do most things outdoors (except shop).

Patio Postcards said...

Sleep the ever elusive mistress of well being. I also find that after doing some gardening I get muscle ache where I never knew there was a muscle to ache. We are still wearing our masks when we go indoors to pick up anything that doesn't have curbside pick up. I was hoping I'd feel more confident for in person shopping by now ... alas I am not yet.

RedPat said...

I'm still wearing a mask inside stores. There seem to be a lot of shortages in the grocery store lately.

NGS said...

People are generally not wearing masks here, either, but I'm still masking up. I watch people eating in restaurants, going into stores and browsing, and am starting to wonder if I'm permanently damaged and my return to "normal" will never happen.

gigi-hawaii said...

Masks are still mandatory at medical and dental offices here in Hawaii, which is a good thing. Loved your post about the Jubilee. Gigi Hawaii

Margaret said...

I still mask in stores also but generally do pick up anyway. The last time I went to Sbux, I ordered inside with my mask, then sat outside to drink my coffee with my friend. (unmasked) It's hard to know what the "right" thing is to do sometimes. Cases are rising but not hospitalizations? However, I still don't want to get it due to the possible long-term ramifications.

Rita said...

The only place I go is to the clinic and there masks are required. I'm glad.

William Kendall said...

I'm still regularly using my mask.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm so sorry for your sleep issues. They are awful. I know.
We still mask everywhere. Not that I am going everywhere, I'm still rather fractured from the whole ordeal.
Take care!

Haddock said...

sleep eluding is a big game, and I try to beat it by sleeping in pockets.

Red said...

Product shortages are all too common. some things are just not available anymore.

The Furry Gnome said...

Yes, life gets to be a pickle at out age!

Debby said...

I haven't worn a mask in a while. I find though that I automatically socially distance. I wonder if I'll ever get over that?

DrumMajor said...

I still mask up except for in my apartment or car. Since covid can hang in the air for 3 hours, I just don't know who's covid cooties are flying around for me to breath in. Linda in Kansas

MARY G said...

Lots of empty shelves today. I suspect supply chain issues. I forgot my mask in the car, and, for the very first time, kept going and did not go back, as the store was almost empty.
Fingers would be crossed if I were not typing.

Jenn Jilks said...

I was sure I commented on this! sigh.

Jeanie said...

I think people come in to stock at different times, which makes it frustrating if you want to do your whole shop on one day. Here it all depends where you shop as to if the pandemic is over!