Monday, June 13, 2022

Audrey's and Sue's Chives

Audrey's chives are in bloom.

Audrey was our neighbour in the 70s. She gave Sue a clump of chives, and they have moved with us to this distant home more than 40 years later. Sue uses them quite a lot in summer in her very fine potato salads.

They flower at this time of year. A few years ago, I took a macro or two that I quite liked. In fact, I liked one well enough to print and display.

This year, with a little help from Sue, we cut some of the blooms and brought them indoors for a wee photoshoot. In some ways this is easier than forcing this old body to crouch down and shoot into the chaos. In other ways, I find Still Life photography under artificial lighting to be quite difficult.

These ↓ are my various attempts. You will see that we get a different colour results depending on the light and focal distance. I think the first photo has the most realistic colour; the lighting was better and truer than in the other photos.







19 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Sweet...though probably tangy on the tongue, to the eye they are pretty pale purple flowers.

Jenn Jilks said...

You are so artistic!
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

Tabor said...

Black velvet in the background?

Anvilcloud said...

@Tabor. Black something. Where I get lighter spots due to lighting, I darken or brush in some black.

gigi-hawaii said...

Very well done. I have never used chives in my cooking. Interesting to add it to potato salad. Gigi Hawaii

Vicki Lane said...

These are beautiful! I've tried and tried to grow chives, but they don't persist. Garlic chives, however, do too well and will spread like mad if I don't cut down the blooms before they go to seed.

Anvilcloud said...

@Vicki. That's odd. I thought they could grow anywhere. We once had a little discarded clump that we tossed into a margarine container. It did alright for at least that season.

Margaret said...

I would have been confused by these photos before learning more about chives at my daughter's new place. Lovely pictures!

RedPat said...

Gorgeous shots especially the first one.

PipeTobacco said...

When you display chive flowers indoors, do they tend to smell “oniony”? I have always assumed they would, but did not really know.

dellgirl said...

Your photos are amazing, as always! Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for sharing with us.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a great photo subject and the trio in the vase was my favorite in this group. Agreed that not having to crouch down low is no longer a good idea.

Jeanie said...

What beautiful, dramatic photos! Audrey would be so thrilled to know her chives moved over the years -- and were the subject of such beautiful photos.

Joanne Noragon said...

Multigenerational chives are wonderful.

William Kendall said...

I do like these.

Karen said...

Mine have reproduced like crazy! When they go to seed it's LOOK OUT!
BTW, I've discovered I can comment on posts from my Windows format laptop, but it works find with my Google Chrome device. What gives eh?

MARY G said...

Trio spread out is my pick ... but they are all good, and the colour variation not large. Winner, again.

Mage said...

Are you going to give us the recipe for the fine potato salad?

Karen said...

Sorry AC, my comment got a bit garbled. It was supposed to say that I can comment just fine with my Google Chrome device but the Windows laptop just won't click with Blogger for some reason.