Sunday, June 12, 2022

Same Day, Same Idea

I didn't know it at the time, but I photographed the lupines on the same day as last year.

We don't see many lupines hereabouts, but there is a spot by a rural road that has a nice display. Off I set. I probably wouldn't have remembered but The Furry Gnome posted some recently. My memory usually requires reminders to jog it.

So . . . yesterday, June 11, I drove out to the spot. The sun was pretty high by the time I got around to it, so the photos are more contrasty that one would prefer, but one does one's best under the conditions. It was still fun to do, and the results are palatable. I did try and partly succeeded in playing down some of the high contrast in editing.


The trick with gardens that look great to the eye is to find a composition that works in a static photo. I am not sure if I managed to do that, but in the above photo, I isolated one flower. Below, there are plenty of blooms, but I tried to have the front and centre one stand out from the rest.


Next, I found a patch that had a bit of an arc to it. By opening the aperture, I was able to blur the farther flowers to draw the eyes to the nearer clump. The darker foreground and background help to frame the grouping.


There was a patch that was shaded by trees. I think you can see how different this ↓ photo looks than the others. I do like how all of the blooms in this grouping are of similar colour: all but the outlier to the bottom left. I did try cloning it out, but that left a fairly large blank space, so I decided to leave it in. I possibly could have cloned-in a flower similar to the others, but adding elements to a photo can sometimes seem like cheating.


Thanks for the red shirt suggestions (yesterdays post). I shall have to look more deeply.

Well, it is 6:15, so I must get myself ready to drive to the other house to take Danica to work. It will be my good deed for the day.


18 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

It is so rewarding being able to help the grandies out, isn't it?!
I love your term 'palatable.' I cannot tell if you are being droll, or just hypercritical! It is beautiful to my eyes.

Judy from Maine said...

I think the pop of another color makes the photo more interesting. Note that in the far back right of the photo is a lupine of similar color, it balances everything out nicely. In any event to my untrained eye, all the photos are beautiful.

Anvilcloud said...

@Judy. Thanks for your untrained eye perspective. I can assure you than mine is also very untrained. I just muddle along as best I can, hopefully learning as I go.

Marie Smith said...

Enjoy that time with your young woman, AC. I love those few minutes individual time with each of the kids. Pretty special.

Great job on the lupins!

Barbara Rogers said...

I don't think I've ever seen Lupins...so whatever way you share them is most enjoyable to me!

William Kendall said...

Tres belle!

RedPat said...

They are gorgeous. I have some in my planters on the deck and they are still tiny so I fear that I will see no flowers this year.

DJan said...

They are all lovely. Different colored lupines when we see around here mostly. :-)

Jeanie said...

I don't see them often but they really are lovely and your photos capture that perfectly.

Red said...

I was out this afternoon photographing yellow lady slippers. So cool that we were both photographing at the same time. However, I'm a point and shoot photographer!!!

The Furry Gnome said...

Lovely shots. Glad I reminded you!

peppylady (Dora) said...

I haven't seen any lupines.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Joanne Noragon said...

Ah, the tricks of the camera to make lovely pictures!

Margaret said...

The first photo with the light shining through it gives me the feels. :)

MARY G said...

For my taste, the first photo is the cleanest. And, again my opinion, if you state that you added an element, it is fair ball. I would change the colour of the bottom left bunch, say so, and see what happens.

Patio Postcards said...

Nice photos. I like Lupins; Lupins do not want to grow in the garden :(
I have never seen locally an wild lupins. I always liked the way rain drops lingered on the lupin leaves.

Doris Potter said...

I especially like the white ones with lavender at the bottom. Nice shots!

Rita said...

Beautiful!
I especially liked the last photo showing all the variety of colors. :)