Thursday, June 16, 2022

Life is Good

10:00 Shauna pulls into the driveway. We get in: me in the front, Sue in back. 

11:00 We are in the waiting room on the 4th floor at the Mohs Surgery Clinic. We sip on the one cup of coffee that we brought in. It's Sue's coffee. I didn't want one because I don't want to be trudging to the bathroom all day. Nevertheless, I take a few sips.

This was taken a few minutes later in our room

11:25 Sue and I are both in the room where we were told that we might spend a long and indeterminate amount of time. In this case, a long time means hours, not days; it cold be a long day. The nurse is asking me many questions about my health. I answer "No" to so many questions that I feel very healthy.

11:35 The tall, lean surgeon enters the room and explains the procedure that we have already read about. She looks like a younger version of our tall, lean family doctor. Strangely enough, they are both called Gillian although this doctor's versions begins with a J. She instructs me to get on the table.


In the next few minutes, she will examine the spot on my right temple, freeze it, and excise a layer of my skin. She informs me that the procedure will be painless; the only thing that will hurt will be the needle to apply the freezing, which doesn't hurt much at all.

11:47 We are done with round 1. I am to apply pressure to the bandage for 10 minutes.


11:57 The sample is already on its way to the lab to see if they got it all. I get up to wait, possibly for 2 hours or longer to get the result.. If not, they will repeat the procedure as many times as necessary until the cancerous spot is completely gone.


After snacking on peanuts and a granola bar, I sniff around online; mostly I listen Elizabeth George's latest Lynley novel: Something to Hide.


Sue is double-tasking — reading and crocheting a square for her next Christmas quilt. It will be her 4th peppermint afghan, after completing a different one last winter.


2:25 Good news: they got it all on the first try. They will re-freeze the incision area and stitch it  up.

2:40 After stitching, she applies liquid nitrogen to two spots, one on my head, the other on my nose. The nose has been done once before and probably the other spot too, for I have had several spots frozen in the past decade or so. I don't feel the spray up top, but the one on the nose just about made my eyes water.


2:45 We're done and waiting for Shauna to come and pick us up. She had just settled at her boyfriend's house after completing a few runabout chores.

3:30 The three of us are at Swiss Chalet for a quarter chicken dinner, the first in about 3 years. In past times, we would drive into the city once or twice a year, but then Covid came along. I am feeling quite chuffed to have the procedure behind me and to be where I am with my wife and daughter.

Life is good.

20 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

I am so glad you wee able to get this spot looked after & glad to hear that they got all the spot on the first go. Wishing you quick healing. Yeah for the reward of Swiss Chalet.

Ed said...

I’m hoping my mom’s insistence of sunscreen whenever I went outside as a child will prevent me from spending a similar day as yours in my future.

Vicki Lane said...

Well done! You remind I need to see a dermatologist . . .

Boud said...

Good for you to have got it over with. I had a mohs surgery on my face, but it took two tries, five hours. Good thing I'd brought lunch! Nobody allowed with me, covid precautions. Nice when it's over with!

Barbara Rogers said...

Whew, that's good the procedure was totally successful. I've had the nose burn several time too, and cried. My dermatologist said I must have worked outdoors a lot. I looked vague, I didn't think so. Just cheering kids on a soccer games maybe, and walking once a week, which should be 3 times! But I'm wearing my hat and have sun block. Now just to stop and squeeze the stuff out and smear it on nose and cheeks and back of neck, and arms.

DJan said...

Good news indeed. I see a dermatologist twice a year and she always burns something off. :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

That must be a relief for all of you. I know how worrisome it all is.
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

Jeanie said...

Thanks for this. I've heard about this before and your pix and commentary made it "real." That's outstanding news -- I'm so glad they got it in one! Onward!

Karen said...

What a relief to get that done!

gigi-hawaii said...

I am glad it was a successful procedure. The chicken meal was such a nice reward. Gigi hawaii

NGS said...

Fingers crossed that you won't have to do that again! Skin cancer is so scary!

Margaret said...

So glad the procedure went well and that the nasties are gone. My dad had skin cancer and was often getting things done to his face, especially his nose. Tell Sue I LOVE her blouse! That's wonderful that you went out to eat. We don't take those experiences for granted these days.

Marcia said...

Good to stay on top of those things. My husband has had several excised from his bald pate. He tries to always wear a hat. I'm sure you do too.

Marie Smith said...

It sure is a good life, AC. I am happy for you

Red said...

Good to hear that the bad cells are gone and I hope you do not have any more issues.

The Furry Gnome said...

Glad that all went well.

Joanne Noragon said...

Good job; good news; good for you.

William Kendall said...

Sounds like it all went well.

Rita said...

My dad had that done many times. All his skin cancer was from the waist up. Doctor told him it was probably from when he was in the navy and stationed on a ship in The Philippines (WWII). It was so hot they allowed the servicemen on deck to be shirtless but with their long pants on.

I'm glad they got it all and you were back with your sweet family having chicken dinner. :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It's always great when a procedure is over and done and hopefully no return will be needed.