Wednesday, June 22, 2022

AC and the AC

On Monday, I posted this ↓ on fb for no reason other than I came across it and thought it was funny.


Later that day, somewhat surprisingly, it became necessary for me to call my credit card company. I thought of the cartoon quite a lot, while I was on hold for a rather long time just to make a two-minute call.

We had made the rather sudden decision to have both an air conditioner and a furnace replaced, and we had also decided to use the credit card and score the concomitant points in the process. The phone call would be simply to inform them that I would be making a very large transaction on the next day: the kind that might set off red flags had they not been alerted..

Who knows if it was the right decision, for both appliances were still working. The AC was limping along, after all, but it had been diagnosed with an irreparable problem and was living on borrowed time. (Just to clarify, I am referring to the other kind of AC and not to moi although, truth be told, I am limping along as well. Quite literally.)

We had been warned about the impending dilemma of whether to replace one or both for a couple of years already. The furnace was still holding up, but at 15 years, which is considered to be its normal lifespan, its future was highly  uncertain. Replacing both appliances now at the same time would result in some savings over having to replace them separately in the near future.

We reasoned that if it would become necessary to replace these units next year or the year after, and it likely would be, we might as well go ahead with the job and expense this year. We reasoned that whether we were to pay the piper now or in one or two years down the road would make little difference, especially considering that costs forever escalate and never decrease. 

Another consideration was to possibly avoid last-minute emergencies such as having the AC conk out in the midst of the world's worst July heat wave ever or the furnace perhaps giving up the ghost in the midst of a January deep freeze.

The final point was that we seemed to be getting a pretty good deal to do it now while the company still had some gaps before the impending summer rush.

In our mid-seventies, both units should last until we hit 90 or even beyond, and one doubts if one will live that long anyway.

We made the decision to just do it on Monday, and, by gosh and by golly, they would be here with bells on, the very next day. 

And that is why I sat on hold with the credit card company for a long while after posting that toon in the morning. Thinking of said toon, however, helped to keep me in a tolerable frame of mind whilst I was forced to sit and listen to the incessant messages that my call was important to them.

18 comments:

Marcia said...

Did they keep repeating the same hold message and play obnoxious music? That's what I can't stand. I think though your decision sounded quick it was a good one to make because as you said if you had to replace either when they broke down for good it would have been hotter or colder in your house for awhile.

DJan said...

I smiled at the cartoon, knowing all too well what it feels like to be on hold and listening to obnoxious music. I think you made the right decision.

Ed said...

I usually make calls like that down at my desktop computer with my phone on speaker so I can surf the web and read blogs while waiting. Makes the time go faster.

I though notifying credit cards of impending odd transactions were a thing of the past. Probably for the last 15 years or so, whenever they flag a transaction, they send me a text asking if I made it. If I respond within so many minutes, it goes through no problems. If I don't have my phone on me, it doesn't go through and my credit card becomes locked until I call and verify that it was indeed me. This probably happens to me once every two or three years or so.

Jenn Jilks said...

You are wise to do it now. It'll only get more expensive, and I know I get crusty when things are failing around me, hubby aside!

(ツ) from Cottage Country , ON, Canada!

Anvilcloud said...

@Ed. They did say that I was right to notify them. They also said that I could have done it online. I looked but couldn't find such a link. I don't know if they would have called/texted like you suggested. There is a lot I don't know.😇

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Replacing major appliances is always a headache, especially financially, but as you noted doing it sooner rather than later is a smart decision. We no longer have those decisions as apartment living means we just notify the management office of an issue and hopefully maintenance will handle in a timely manner. So far, we haven't had any appliance fail. Notifying the credit card company ahead was most likely a good thing.

Debby said...

I HATE that message...

gigi-hawaii said...

I hear you about credit card companies. We are put on hold with other companies too. Glad that you finally got through. Gigi hawaii

Jeanie said...

better to replace the furnace now that when it's sub-zero, it breaks and you can't get a new one for two weeks. Air-con you can float with. Freezing? Nope!

NGS said...

We bought a new furnace and AC unit two years ago. Our furnace had been in the house since the 1980s and we never had a problem with it, but every time someone would go into our basement, they would panic when they saw it. I'm glad we did it, but I'll admit that the new furnace has had far more issues than the older ever did!

Margaret said...

That cartoon is perfect! I've been there many times. You are wise to replace them because, as you said, you wouldn't want them going out at an inopportune time of the year. Which is what they always do!

William Kendall said...

I don't know what's more obnoxious: the muzak or the "your call is important to us" every thirty seconds.

Mage said...

I do like the reality of your cartoon.

Marie Smith said...

We always think, with the major expenses for the house, that we are doing it for the next people who live here.

Red said...

I don't have an air conditioner. There are vey few days in a summer where it would be necessary.

Joanne Noragon said...

Personally, I think furnaces, et.al. should last more than 15 years, with maintenance.

MARY G said...

We just replaced a working but 19 year old well pump and compressor for the same reasons. And I love the cartoon. Been on hold a lot, lately. Drat it all.

DrumMajor said...

Sounds like a sound decision Mr. and Mrs. AC about your AC. You probably purchased in a comparatively slower time instead of the beginning of summer when non-working ACs panicked people.
If I travel far from home and plan to make unusual purchases, I call my bank and credit cards. I still had a delay with one usable card when checking in to a hotel, and used another card. Between covid and finances, I haven't traveled lately. Have fun with your new appliances. Hopefully they haven't made them computerized too much! Linda in Kansas