Monday, June 27, 2022

The Oldsters Go Cycling

One would tend to think that cycling would not be a conveyance for two seniors with mobility problems, but it worked for us when we got out the bikes for the first time in two years.

As you know from my relentless whinging, I have a bit of a foot problem, and you may also recall that Sue took a recent tumble that has left her ankle a little too sore to walk far.

We are not generally unhealthy or incapacitated; it's just that walking any sort of distance is currently problematic.

Sue wondered if we could cycle, not for long distances but enough to get to the park around the corner.

We made it to the bench not too far inside the park.


The bench overlooks the river. No, we don't see much river through the summer foliage, but we see some.


We consumed a little lunch on the bench, and, for a change, we took a selfie.


Afterward, we rode farther along the trail that you see behind us in the above photo. 


While I can't foresee us making a major trek, cycling does give us an option. We'll keep it short and close while we monitor how we're adapting. If it goes well, we might go a little farther afield but not very far, I don't think.

15 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

What fun & yes getting out the bikes was such a good idea. You have some very pretty bikeable paths & trails.

DJan said...

Sounds (and looks) to be a great plan to keep you two out and about as you heal. :-)

Vicki Lane said...

Wel done, both of you!

NGS said...

What great rehab for an ankle issue, too! Very clever!

Debby said...

Sounds like a pleasant change!

gigi-hawaii said...

Sounds great! Keep biking for exercise and enjoyment. Gigi hawaii

RedPat said...

I haven't ridden a bike in years. I find it too scary in the city with all the traffic.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Cycling is a good alternative to walking as it's exercise too and you get somewhere faster!

William Kendall said...

Sounds like a good idea.

Margaret said...

How wonderful to get out the bikes! John and I need to plan some rides since our weather has gotten much nicer. I love the trees and water--my kind of scenery!

Mage said...

Sounds perfect to me.

peppylady (Dora) said...

I been sort of looking into bike recently.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Marie Smith said...

The bike sounds and looks wonderful and I love the lunch part.

Jeanie said...

I'm so nervous about my balance on the bike and my shoulder issues with the handlebars. But boy, what a gorgeous park and I love that you're doing this together.

Kay said...

I'm glad you could go out and get some outdoor exercise by cycling and it didn't hurt your foot and Sue's ankle. I'm wondering if you hurt your head too since you have some kind of plaster there. You may have mentioned it earlier in another post. Hope you're OK.