Monday, June 20, 2022

A Cooler and Shadier Head for Father's Day

Father's Day was just about like any other day here.

Except . . .

there was a little something extra. 

What could it be?



It was a brand new chapeau – a Tilley hat.


I wore it a little while we enjoyed a little breakfast in our little porch, and Sue took this little picture.


I also wore it later when we did our thing and had coffee in the park. Believe it or not, it had been awhile since we had done that. We might have opted for an outdoor picnic, but the wind was rather fierce.


Sue wore her Tilley hat too.


I already have a Tilley hat for summer and one for winter, but this is an Airflo model with a band of mesh near the top, which you probably can't see at these resolutions, but I can see when I enlarge the photos in their original format. Said mesh might render it a little cooler. More importantly, it has a wider brim that will provide my battered face with a little more protection. The crisp newness will also be nice. That being said, the old one s still in excellent condition, despite it's long life, and will continue to serve a purpose. Tilley hats are guaranteed for life after all.

Of note: if the previous two photos look over-exposed, they are – quite deliberately and in camera too: not in edit, I hasten to proclaim. They were exposed this way because Sue's photo challenge for this week revolves around high key photography.

If you are wondering where Sha and the kids were, they will come over for a little extended Father's Day celebration tonight. Quite appropriately, they were with their dad on the weekend.

Finally, I feel that I must say something about the stitches (yesterday's post). A few of you commiserated with me for the discomfort that I must be enduring. The truth is, however, that I haven't felt any pain at all, neither during nor after the surgery. I find this quite remarkable and expect it is because I am quite hard-headed. (Note: I am not really.)

23 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Nice hat & I like Sue's. Your stitches photo from the previous post, looks like all is healing well. Maybe a hard head, but a healthy one, mostly :)

DJan said...

Both of those Tilleys are wonderful. I need a new one! And yes I know they are guaranteed for life, but it's always nice to have a crisp new chapeau.

Marie Smith said...

Love the new hat! We had a lovely Father’s Day here too.

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm glad you aren't in pain, at least. It is a worry, cancer surgery.
It's a good idea to have a great hat. I like Tilley products.
(ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

NGS said...

Happy Father's Day! I hope you're able to enjoy that hat for many years to come.

Vicki Lane said...

Nice hats, both of you!

Barbara Rogers said...

Glad you have no pain and a new hat...and maybe some more loot from the grands...hope so!

MARY G said...

A perfect gift, oh stitched up one. Looks fine.

Boud said...

Now I have to investigate Tilley hats. I agree about the stitching after cancer removal. I had extensive stitching because of the location near my eye, and felt nothing. No aftermath, to my amazement. I looked pretty rugged though.

gigi-hawaii said...

You both have snazzy hats! Lucky you. Gigi hawaii

RedPat said...

You both look good in your hats.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That was a great gift and one that will surely be enjoyed on your park and photo outings, John. Grenville has only one and he wears it all the time, so perhaps I will check out an airflo model with mesh as a future gift idea. The day here was spent with a visit from the RI grands.

Margaret said...

Love the hats! I didn't know there was a name for that style. Coffee dates are wonderful whether they are car ones, indoor or outdoor.

William Kendall said...

Due to the size of my head hats are a challenge to buy.

Mage said...

What a nice covering. Happy father's day.

Red said...

Like your pun at the end.

Doris Potter said...

You both look good in hats!

The Furry Gnome said...

Don't you look handsome! I had a 40-year old and much-loved Tilley which actually did wear out, came completely apart at the brim. I sent it back and they sent me a new one.

Joanne Noragon said...

Great hats. I just bought one myself.

Rita said...

I have seen people wearing them but didn't know they were called Tilly hats. Very nice! Happy Father's Day. :)

DrumMajor said...

Sounds like everyone is keeping an eye on you. Never heard of Tilley. Sounds tougher than L.L.Bean gear.
You have a full head of hair compared to my Dad. (He had a couple of "things" removed from his head, too.) He always wore a coveted terry-cloth white hat, similar to your Tilly. It was washable and durable. My then toddler son wanted one like his, and the resultant photo is charming.
Sue is certainly a lovely keeper. Linda in Kansas

peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm sorry to hear about the cramps, my husband gets them in middle of night some time. No fun.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Jeanie said...

You both look fabulous in your hats! I need a good hat for summer, now that I am reminded!