Tuesday, June 21, 2022

A Nothing Solstice

Happy Solstice after a not so happy night that had me waking up in a puddle of sweat at 2. If that wasn't enough, there were cramps at 3.

Since I was up, I made to get ready to head our for a solstice sunrise photo. Then I saw that it had rained and likely would again. Further to that, I realized that the sun would not make an appearance this morning. I gave up, played my morning Wordle, and decided to start to compose this, which is surely to be a masterpiece. Not.

It's now almost 5:30; the sun has risen, but it hasn't – if you get my drift  . The decision not to head out was a right one. This is a remarkable thing in my life – if you know what I mean.

I got Wordle in 5, by the way. It could and should have been 4, but I changed my mind about the word that I was going to use in the 4th round. Alas, it is yet another instance of not being right about something.

But the second round of Father's Day was quite right last evening.

Shauna brought chicken, potato wedges, Caesar salad, and cake.

They also came bearing gifts.

The kids had made a card and put it in a lovely little envelope. The trouble was that they forgot to insert said card into said envelope. I will get to see it at another time.

Empty Envelope

There were three packages to open. The first was a pair of socks. I know what you're thinking: "How banal." But they're not.

Cool-Ass Grandpa

Then came a T-shirt. I know what you're thinking: "How banal." But you shall see that it isn't.


Shauna had texted me this humorous message some time ago, and I thought then that I might get it on a tee for Father's Day. But then I forgot. And then I remembered.

Fun stuff.

There was also a can of cashews, renewing a tradition from the distant past. My father used to give me cashews on some occasions; now, daughter is resuming the practice.

As we sat around chatting, Lacey visited JJ and then moved over to give Danica some lap time. She likes the kids. She only tolerates me and only because I am the one who takes care of her wants and needs.


I hope you have a good and right solstice wherever you are.

19 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Like the socks & t-shirt - your family know you SO well. I was up to greet the arrival of Ms Summer. Our region hasn't received any rain - it's the joy/woes of living on the escarpment - weather arrives at the base & then splits off to surrounding areas :(

Jenn Jilks said...

That sounds fun, the celebration, not the health difficulties.
They are lovely presents, so nice to know you're being thought of and they love you!
Your grandies sure are growing up. I hope you have a great sleep soon! JB always has issues with this, so I can empathise.

Marcia said...

Nice gifts. Dan got food items from the daughters: Cherry almond jam and caramel truffles. Hand made cards from grand kids.

Marie Smith said...

We are hitting the trails, trying to get summer off to the right start.

Great Father’s Day gifts. Meaningful and fun! They know you well.

William Kendall said...

Like all cats Lacey can be picky.

Barbara Rogers said...

Not just 2 father's days you get to celebrate, but another to follow when the hand made card is found! Some guys! Between cashews and socks and shirt...you did haul in the goods (as my grands might say.) Hope sleep comes soon, and the clouds are just temporary.

gigi-hawaii said...

Cool presents! Gigi hawaii

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Thanks to Sue for all the photos of you. I went back and checked out the posts that I missed and was surprised to see that your dad lookd like a very "normal" and nice guy ... where did you get your wacky sense of humor ???

Celia said...

Sounds like a great Father's Day. Love the socks and shirt. Cashews are much loved in our family too. Solstice morning came up bright and sunny. First sunny morning in a week. Yahoo!

Margaret said...

Love the socks and tee-shirt! The food sounds great too. However, the sleep pattern doesn't seem great at all. :(

dellgirl said...

The food sounds delicious and the gifts are awesome . . . Sooo much family fun! Life doesn't get much better than this kind of LOVE and together-ness! Wishing you well, my friend!

PipeTobacco said...

I really like the color of the socks!!!!! The t-shirt is funny, too! Cashews WOULD be an excellent treat!

PipeTobacco

Boud said...

Hilarious that they did everything so well then forgot the card. I love that! Happy solstice anyway and you did have a good father's day celebration.

Red said...

You were well treated for father's day. Who cares if you didn't get the sunrise!!!

Vicki Lane said...

Great socks and tee!

Joanne Noragon said...

A good father's day. Your grands are more delightful every time we see them.

Jeanie said...

LOVE that t-shirt -- may have to get one like that for me! It looks like a great Father's Day. I got Wordle in five, too -- I hate rhyming options!

Mage said...

This is a good day. And youu got to visit with 2 of your grands.

MARY G said...

The solstice socks are a fine pair indeed.