Saturday, June 04, 2022

Much Mulching

To whom much mulch is given, much mulching is required.

Yesterday morning, I looked out my window and took a photo of our fairly fresh mulch. I had freshened it about a week prior, laying new mulch over the somewhat worn and thinning older mulch. It needs a refreshing top-up after a few years.


Years ago, we decided that with our poor soil and terrible grass weeds, we would mulch over what was not part of the garden. I guess in fact, that the mulch is part of the garden, but you know what I mean. While we maintain a little grass up by the sidewalk, most of the grass that you see (on the right) is on our neighbour's half of our narrow, shared lawn.

I knew that the big job lay ahead of me, however – behind the house in the backyard. There, the mulch cover very badly needed refreshing. For that purpose, I had purchased 24 bags earlier in the week. After two days of rain, Friday dawned clear, but not too hot, so I made up my mind to get 'er done.

To move the bags from the front and around the neighbour's  house to the back, I borrowed another neighbour's wheelbarrow and began the process. I would lift 4 bags into the wheelbarrow, push them all the way around to the backyard, lay them down, spread the mulch, and walk back to the front and repeat the process again and again.

I was more than half done when Sue returned from her standard Friday morning coffee date with her lady friends. That's when the pictures begin. You can see ↓ the gate at the back, the wheelbarrow and the rake that I used to spread the mulch somewhat evenly.


Lift, dump, and spread.



Hmm . . . where shall the next batch go? I think I'll start on my left.


Dumping the 21st bag ↓ by the gate.


That's when I stopped for the day although there were 3 bags and a few corners left to finish. My back was telling me that it would be a very fine idea to leave those bits for another day, and except for those picky corners, the job was done,.

I consider it of some importance to complete any semi-major gardening project by early June before the weather really heats up, for it does get mighty hot in that backyard where the simmer sun beats down relentlessly.


14 comments:

Boud said...

Well done! My back was aching in sympathy by picture three or four.

Marcia said...

Good idea to have mulch instead of grass in a small backyard.

Barbara Rogers said...

I commend you on all that lifting and bending. Since my back stopped me from many necessary activities this week (walking and doing laundry) I know you will feel the results of this work! Good job...looks like you could take some time in the chaise.

DJan said...

That looks like a lot of work, you did very well indeed. Another day for the rest should be fine.

Marie Smith said...

We finished our gardening and mulching yesterday. We spread it over three days since our backs couldn’t take it either. You got it looking good there, AC

Margaret said...

Picking up bags, transporting them, dumping them, spreading them--those repetitive motions would certainly tweak my back. It looks great! I bet it feels good to get it (nearly) done before the hot weather arrives.

MARY G said...

From those who have mulch, mulch is expected. :-D

Red said...

That's a lot of work but it pays dividends.

William Kendall said...

You earned the break.

Kay said...

That is really a lot of work and a lot of mulch. Wow! I am impressed.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Our town usually display three flags the American, Idaho, and Canada. But some private resident and or the rig will fly what I call unfriendly ones.
I really like the people in costume.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Jeanie said...

You're so good. For a lot of reasons, mostly physical, I didn't mulch this year and now it's so grown up that it's not happening. It always looks so much better!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This series of photos certainly brought back memories of doing the same at our former VA home. We used pine needles which were plentiful and free on the back roads nearby. But, first they had to be raked, put in a wagon, wheeled home and then spread in the flower beds. My favorite part was when it was all done.

Rita said...

Hard work but it looks fantastic! :)