Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Trend and Light

This is nuts (see chart below)! When this was all cracking open back in March, I am pretty sure that I read predictions that the USA would handle the pandemic relatively well,. I know that all of my American blog friends are exercising great caution, and even more than I am in many cases. Just keep being careful.

No photo description available.


Ontario and Canada are coming along pretty well. We, in Ontario, are still doing worse than the other provinces, but the trend is very good. Many days have been under 200 new cases, and those that have been over 200 are not far over. All but one district, Windsor and area, is moving onto to phase 2.


I have seen some speculation from an Italian doctor that the virus may be weakening. We can hope that this is the case, but this is by no stretch of the imagination the scientific consensus at this point.

Meanwhile . . . I took a short sunset trip to the park. I knew that it wouldn't be much of a sunset, but I was hoping for a good play of light and shadow. You've seen this tree before. I had to get close to the tree and at the right angle to prevent the sun, which was a bit to the right of the tree, from leaking into the camera and creating lens flares. I like the backlight on the young tree in the gap.


Here's one with the sun behind me this time. I had the camera on a timer which gave me time to step aside and get my shadow out of the picture before the shutter snapped, for as you can see, the shadows are very long. The tripod and camera did leave a shadow, but it wasn't so big that I couldn't clone it away.


16 comments:

MARY G said...

I really like the last shot. Sometimes it is fun to leave your shadow in there though.
The States' data are weird ... some of the individual states are doing well, but some are awful. Texas, for instance. No leadership?

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

The pandemic in the US is discouraging...But we will keep on keeping on....
I really like both those photos. You take such interesting ones.

DJan said...

It is very discouraging to see what is happening in the US. I live in the Pacific Northwest which is doing fairly well, but I worry about the coming months. :-(

PipeTobacco said...

I too worry about the pandemic... here in the US, too many folks ignore or even purposefully go against guidelines.... because they think it is their “right” to do so. IMO, it is just selfish and stupid to not try your best to care for and try to protect others.

PipeTobacco

Mara said...

Well, you know what DT the I said: as long as they keep testing, the numbers will go up! If they stop testing, the numbers would looking much better...

Over here we are doing much better now. Yes, the corona numbers are up, but only because they test so much. The hospitalisation is down to really low figures (single or low double figures for 17 million inhabitants of the country) and we even had a day without anybody dying from it. The main areas of trouble right now seem to be meat packing plants (in the Netherlands as well as in Germany) and in Germany they are restricting some things again, especially in areas with meat packing plants. Many of the employees there are migrants from Poland or Romania and live in tightly packed places, so no chance to keep your distance.

Barbara Rogers said...

The tourist season is being encouraged here (to help the economy which is sadly based upon it.) So many tourists prefer to go around maskless. However, some look to have restaurants staffed by people in masks. I feel so bad for Florida (where a lot of friends and relatives live.) There are more and more young adults catching the virus. Glad your numbers are improving.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh, forgot to say...those tree trunks with lighting changes are fabulous!

Margaret said...

Beautiful shots--nicely framed! The virus could have been under control with better national leadership, but it's raging now. Except for CA, most of the states with sky high new infections are run by Trump loving governors and a more conservative populace, none of whom did much if anything to prevent what is now happening. Glad you are doing well there at least!

Mage said...

I'm in CA, and I wish our Governor would make us all stay home again. I have an Xray appointment tomorrow, and I hope I can sneak in and out quietly. Love these and the forgotten photos.

gigi-hawaii said...

We still have new cases every day so we in Hawaii still have to be cautious.

Christina said...

Love your moody photos!

The trend is worrying, isn't it? Here in Scotland "we" are doing well in reducing numbers and our devolved Scottish government is cautiously easing restrictions, one by one. Scotland is taking a far more cautious approach than England. The clown that is the UK prime minister doesn't really seem to take advice from his science advisors. So glad this is a devolved matter. I don't think the virus is going away anytime soon.... with complacency setting in, numbers will go up again.

Rita said...

You do get some great pics!

Our numbers are rising here because there's no real federal guidance and the pandemic has been made political--which is nuts. We are remaining very careful and taking all precautions.

Joanne Noragon said...

These photos are wonderful.
I do hope the rest of the world forbids us to cross their border.

Red said...

The virus is a tough one. We still don't know much about it and then some of aren't very smart about how we deal with it as your charts show.

Vicki Lane said...

The depth and breadth of arrogant ignorance in my country (starting with the president) is reaping its reward.

Kay said...

Sadly.... it’s true that we have way too many ignorant, self centered people who will not wear masks or social distance. We’re also seeing a lot more younger people now going out to bars and social gatherings without precautions. They think they’re safe and don’t think ahead to who they could be infecting.