Sunday, June 21, 2020

Saturday Morning on Sunday

Last night (if the timeline gets confusing, I am writing this in the present tense on Saturday although it won't be posted until Sunday), Sue put our tv program on pause because when she looked at me she saw that my eyes were closed and my mouth was agape.

My in-chair-noddings-off are brief, and I soon snapped to awareness, but it does demonstrate how tired I was. I had been awake since 4 o'clock that morning, and it was catching up to me. To boot, that early rising was probably after only 5 hours of sleep and possibly less.

Therefore, I did something that I simply don't do — went to bed early at 9:30. Mind you, I was just listening to a podcast for awhile before falling asleep. Nevertheless, since I slept until shortly after 5, I got the best part of 7 hours sleep, which really pleases me.

No matter how tired I am, which can be pretty doggone tired, I normally force myself to stay up until sometime after 10 and maybe even 11. I do that especially in winter when there is little to do in the morning. However, in summer, and particularly the longest day, I could go out for some early photography. I haven't done that yet this year despite best intentions, but I am keeping keeping the possibility open.

In at least in some recent years, I have made an effort to catch the solstice sunrise, but when you sleep until after 5, it is almost too late to get into position.

As on most mornings, I content myself with checking my regular online sites and clicking links that interest me. Then, I am likely to post a photo to Flickr after which I might write a blog post such as this one that I am now writing and that you are reading (bless your heart).

Here is something that I saw on Twitter this morning. I reposted it on FB and now here. Maybe it will amuse you. Think it through.

Image may contain: text

You've already seen this photo but this is the Flickr version that I am embedding here. I only post one per day on Flickr, so I am often way behind what you see on these blog posts. Flickr pics can be seen larger and are of better quality, but of course, you couldn't really tell that at the size that I am embedding below, which is straight from there.

Fishing in the Gloaming

Another link that interested me this morning was this one, an article with a long title, One large gathering is riskier than 10 small ones: the math of COVID-19 spread.

I wasn't interested in the details of the mathematical process, but I am interested in the results.

You see, while we would think that a gathering of 4 people compared to just one pair meeting up would double the potential exposure to the dreaded virus, it actually triples it because there are three pairs of people.

By the same math, it is the case that a gathering of 50 people, compared to the 10 which we are presently allowed, does not increase the exposure by a factor of 5 but by 27.


It's simple, really. Have only close contact withing your circle, but when out avoid crowds, keep your distance, and wear mask in indoor spaces and perhaps even in some outdoor spaces. You don't have to do much else.

Finally, at least in terms of this posting, I saw that my favourite photo vlogger had posted a new video on YT. He has recently gotten out of the rhythm of Saturday morning postings, but I have gotten used to this time slot and was glad to see him return to it.

In this video, he explores how to shoot a waterfall in a shaded valley. I quite enjoyed seeing his thought process about composing the photos, and the superb results were stellar in my opinion. He is not young, but he is very nimble and sure-footed and can get to the most difficult spots. The vlog is 17 minutes in length. I recommend watching the whole thing if you are a photographer. Otherwise, I am sure that you can cut away after 5 or 6 minutes once you begin to see how he works a scene.


I then watched a number of other photography videos, which is something that I tend to do more on Saturday than other days for some reason. I suppose that this is a little strange because all days are otherwise pretty much the same in my little world. Some of the videos emphasized the actual photography while others were more about post processing.

We are experiencing a heat wave, so I expect that it will be a quiet day. I hope you have a good day and weekend.

11 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Happy father's day!
I hear you about sleeping. We're kinda following the sun, here.

Barbara Rogers said...

Another wish for a happy fathers day! I'm off to watch that video now. I am glad our temps have returned to summertime, which means cool nights, very warm days. I've already walked to the mailbox... it felt so good.

Mara said...

I force myself to stay up until at least 11 pm. I will sleep for about 6-7 hours (with at least one, sometimes more bathroom breaks) and be up again at a silly time. If I go to bed earlier, I will just wake earlier as well. Not a happy thought...

Vicki Lane said...

Love the sign with directins on stair climbing!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Sleep is very important for your health, and immune system...That sign made me laugh a lot! Someone didn't think it through.
I will watch that video a little later on. Happy Father's Day!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sleep is sometimes elusive to myself as well, which is why reading does help somewhat. The only problem is failing asleep and losing my place, which is less problematic with the Kindle device, which simply turns itself off. I haven't yet seen signs like the one you showed posted in our apt facility, but there are ones to mask-up in all common areas, hallways, elevators for for unforeseeable future. Unfortunately, the weather here in Nashua is HOT and humid the next week or so.

Margaret said...

Happy Father's Day! I go to bed early sometimes, but stay awake to read for a while. Glad you got more rest! Our weather is going to get into the 80s this week which is hot for us. I wonder if anyone will challenge that sign as they are meeting up face to face with people on the stairs. :)

Marie Smith said...

I count five hours sleep a good night. Seven is unheard of here.

gigi-hawaii said...

Nothing like a good, sound sleep to invigorate you. Happy Father's Day! Aloha from Hawaii.

William Kendall said...

It occurs to me only now that I missed the sunrise. Even though I was out at that time.

DJan said...

I need to get at least eight hour sleep to feel good the next day. I can't imagine only sleeping 5 or 6 hours. I laughed at the sign about how to manage the stairs with Covid. :-)