Friday, June 05, 2020

Park Time

I had this lighthearted post written of my day in the park. Then I checked my social media feeds this morning and witnessed the police going wild last night, attacking both protesters and media. They don't worry that they are being caught on camera, but are just enjoying beating people. They are fulfilling their violent fantasies and having a ball. For the first time, I am genuinely worried that the USA is slipping into a fascist totalitarian state.

Onto my pleasant day, first the daily selfie, then onto the actual light content.



It was a park sort of day. First, we met up with Danica to whom I passed along my oldest DSLR. I don't know how far she will go with it, but she is showing an interest in photography, and I'd love for someone to use the camera.



Then, Bob and Barb arrived. We sat around sipping our coffee, and then Bob serenaded us.




Come evening, I decided to go back to the same park, hoping for reflections in good light. This was more or less the shot that I was hoping for although I wish there was more light on the trees. However, the sun had gone down behind the trees on the opposite bank, so this might be a better morning photo. It is an 8 second exposure to smooth out the water a little more than it was although it was pretty calm.


A lagniappe: I was taking long exposures, when suddenly about five families of geese swam down the river to settle down for the night. I had to readjust all of my camera settings and managed to capture this photo before they were all past me. Perhaps I should return on another evening and get set up properly.


A second lagniappe followed. I packed up my gear and headed to the car when I spied a full moon in the opposite direction from which I had been shooting. I guess we call it the Strawberry Moon. So I set up the tripod once again, whilst being munched on by mosquitoes, and took a photo. Actually this is two photos combined: one to expose the moon properly and one for the surroundings. I then blended them together in post. As good as cameras have become, they still don't see the range of light that our eyes take in.



16 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Well, there you are. Usually your post is waiting for me, but I guess I got up early this morning. Loved (underlined, bold, exclamation point) the geese, and the moon. They were so great, though I know not what you intended. The sunset kind of doesn't have enough drama for me. And I'm sorry about the drama on the news...really really sorry. What is wrong with those people! Glad you had a coffee date...and that you're encouraging your granddaughter to do photos too!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

You had a great day in the park! It all looked so good. I'm glad you went back in the evening and happy that your granddaughter is becoming interested in photography!

Vicki Lane said...

Those last three shots !!!!

DJan said...

I love all your shots, but especially that one of the geese family. Yesterday I couldn't see what the traffic jam was as I headed out after my walk, it was a mother deer with her two adorable spotted fawns crossing the road, and everybody was enchanted and wanted to make sure they got across safely. :-)

Margaret said...

What wonderful photos! I love seeing what you do with your camera. As an American, I'm feeling the same way.

Marcia said...

Had to look up the meaning of lagniappe. New one for me. Now I get it. Geese and goslings are cute.

USA has problems, no. 1 being tRump.

Marie Smith said...

How wonderful you can share your interest in photography with your granddaughter.

gigi-hawaii said...

Nice outing!

Jenn Jilks said...

That's a good look for you!
Danica is going to be a heart-breaker with those dimples!
Our Jos was here, she's 12 1/2, and 5'3". I'm 5' 4"!!!
Wonderful photos, as ever.

PipeTobacco said...

Are your DSLRs Cannon or Nikon? I say this, because those are the most popular systems currently. My own is Pentax, which is falling by the wayside, even though I first chose it because I so liked traditional film Pentax SLRs (still have my K1000, even though I haven’t used it in at least a decade.

PipeTobacco

Mage said...

What a perfect evening.. I haven't got posting photos with the new format down yet. Thanks for finding the perfect home for the camera.

Rita said...

Thanks for sharing your perfect, calm evening. :)

Kay said...

Yes, the U.S. is struggling. I’m thinking it’s maybe birth pains. I’m hoping that all these protests will bring about the birth of some change. I wonder. We’ve had protests before... but it feels different this time.

There are bad police out there, but I’ve seen some truly hopeful signs of police marching in solidarity to the movement.

I love your moon photo, John. I’ll look out the window tonight. It’s supposed to be a full moon, I believe.

Christina said...

How wonderful that you can share your passion for photography with Danica. A shared interest is always fun.
I am lost for words to express what I feel when I see the news reports from the USA. It is like a boil that has been festering for too long is finally bursting.

Doris Potter said...

Loved those last three shots and now I understand the secret to these beautiful moon shots where both the moon and the surroundings are properly exposed. I have been going crazy trying to do that in "the field". Now to learn how to combine photos ...

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Nice To read that Danica is also a budding photographer and her photos in the past have been quite good. I’m sure you will be sharing more as a proud photo grandad. The sunset capture of the geese was lovely. Nice to see that you and your friends could get together for some socializing as it’s been a long haul.