Saturday, June 20, 2020

Mail and Masks

The masks that I told you a few days ago  that weren't coming are still not coming.



As far as I can tell from other information farther down the page, it left Montreal on June 11. If that is the case, I presume it is in Kanata which is a half hour away from us, but it doesn't look as if it has yet been processed there. In fact, I may not be reading the messages correctly, and the package may still even be in Montreal.

Clearly, Canada Post has been overwhelmed by the extra C19 volume, but I have seen that they have been advertising to hire more workers.

===============

Meanwhile, Amazon orders continue to arrive within two days in most cases. Sue ordered another strip of the rainbow maker, and I thought of puss's needs. Sue also broke her little tripod for her ipod, and I thought puss needed a playtoy (puss wasn't of the same opinion, however, and is not very interested). Anyway, we ordered both, and they were here lickety split.

I understand the negativity that some have for Amazon, but when you live in a town with limited shopping that is further limited by the plague, it is so handy to have.

==============

But we did get new masks for this Pride Month even though we are more than halfway through. They were made by a lady in Perth where Shauna works. Sue saw her post on FB, called and had Sha pick up on the same day after I paid by e-transfer. Shauna delivered them that very day.

It's true; the eyes give away that I wasn't smiling but that Sue is

==============

We had a park visit with friends from Ottawa who felt the need to go out for a drive. It was a pretty hot day but not under the shady trees with a nice breeze blowing. You can see that we are maintaining our distance pretty well.


===============

I did my first grocery shopping in three months, fairly early in the day. There weren't too many shoppers and maybe 50% were masked. One worker was present to hand me a clean cart just outside the doors. My list was short — only a dozen items — so my exposure, such as it was, wasn't prolonged. I was masked and felt safe. I think our main shopping, however, will still be using online ordering with pickup — at least for the next little while.

===============

Finally: we are still doing selfies, but I haven't posted any for a few days because they haven't seemed to fit whatever I was posting about. But this post is already a hodgepodge, so here we are. What a clever filter.


15 comments:

Marie Smith said...

The Pride masks are great!

On-Line ordering and pick-up are popular here now too.

DJan said...

I want one of those Pride masks. I might try to find one somewhere. And I love that adorable selfie at the end. :-)

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

What a rather romantic selfie! And interesting post. Sorry your masks are slow in coming but I like those pride masks. And a good meeting with friends. Such things can be very good for our mental health.

gigi-hawaii said...

Nice visit with friends! We have not been brave enough to invite anybody to our home, as we are still observing social distancing, etc. But, Maria came over yesterday to give us her and Lisa's Father's Day gift.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This was a great this 'n that post, John. I wanted to buy a few re-useable masks and read about a company selling USA-made ones here in Nashua, NH. I was able to call a local number, speak to someone who sent sample images and received delivery within 2 days by the USPS system, which is also running a bit slower these days. Hopefully, your order will arrive one day before the end of this year. That said, the Pride masks were quite lovely and today's selfie was great!

Barbara Rogers said...

What everyone already said double...and I also am glad you found shade and breeze for your gathering (and spaced). Pride masks can be reused...but not next year! Heavens, we are NOT going to be wearing masks next June!

Margaret said...

Love the Pride masks and the photo frame selfie! I too am dependent on amazon because they're the only ones who stock my favorite chocolate for my mochas and also have my coffee. I'm dealing with UPS issues since the grandson mug that I ordered for my dad supposedly arrived at the closest facility, was loaded on a delivery truck and out for delivery the past two days, but now is listed as "Delivery delayed" with no new date for arrival. I suspect it is lost in transit. I'm trying to figure out whether to order another one. It won't get to him by Father's Day, but that's no big deal.

Kay said...

I LOVE that frame selfie too. And I really love your Pride masks. The colors are beautiful. Just about everybody here in Hawaii that I see ARE wearing masks though there have been complaints about non-mask wearers from small retailers. Our numbers went up dramatically yesterday because a pastor held services at his home. 10 infections from that smart move.

Vicki Lane said...

Nice masks! Yep, Amazon does an amazing job of getting stuff to you in a timely manner.

dellgirl said...

Ditto, Copy & Paste, and Xerox all the good stuff everyone already said. Nothing new and meaningful to add to the conversation. Just saying hi, stopping in to see what's new with you and to show my face.

I hope you had a nice week, wishing you a wonderful weekend!

Joanne Noragon said...

Lovely post. I agree with your opinion of Amazon; it's been there for me.

Rita said...

I've been housebound since 2004 so ordering online has been a miracle in my world. I'd be lost without Amazon and the rest.

That last selfie on your wall is wonderful. :)

Mara said...

Love those masks. Masks are only mandatory on public transport here, so you don't see many with them on. And when it comes to supermarkets: they seem to be as busy now as a couple of months ago. Everywhere seems busy. Apart from the buses which are mostly empty.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have shopped throughout this whole Covid-19 period and have actually found it preferable to regular shopping. I arrive early, right when the store opens, and I am in and out in no time.

William Kendall said...

Delivery can take forever.