Thursday, June 18, 2020

Evening Photo Excursion

Most of my little photo excursions don't quite come off as I envision them.

After a previous nosing about wetland area in the evening, I had thought that I spied wildflowers that were backlit by the westering sun. Maybe I had at the time but not when I returned this week with my tripod and macro lens.

The closest I came was this wildflower. If I had shot from the backside, it would have been backlit, but we don't tend to look at flowers from the backside.

I think that it came out alright, but it is not what I had been hoping for.


That photo was taken along the path, but first I went into the growth in close to swamp-like conditions. I was pretty well covered and had applied some repellant to my face and hands, but I didn't think to apply it to my socks. They were pretty vulnerable as I has stuffed my pants into my socks to ward off ticks, but they were open season for the mosquitoes.

I did try two photos in there but just because I was there, for I realized that they would be disappointing. I did try to stylize them in post in order to come away with something. Call it fine art if you will. Whether it works, I leave for the viewer to decide. (I do wish I had made the second one bluer, more like the first.)



On my way out of the park, I took this photo for the light only, for the subject is weak. But we experiment. This hobby is a journey.


Penultimately, I came across a turtle just before I actually exited. I assume that it was a she who was either laying eggs or who was about to. I contended myself with one quick photo as I didn't want to interfere with the creature. She had already pulled her head back a little, and I felt badly for disturbing her like that.


Upon my exit, I noticed light and reflection on the building of our venerable canoe club, the oldest continuously operating canoe club in the country. I only had my macro lens, but it worked well enough. I have included a bw version, for this is what the photo would have looked like back in the day, and this club has been around for a very long time.






10 comments:

DJan said...

I like your pretty flowers, delicate and dreamy. And the canoe club looks good in both picture. I like the reflection. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh what a fun and beautiful collection...sorry you had to sacrifice your ankles for beauty! Mmm, the second canoe club just pops, but I was perfectly happy with the B&W. I also like the second "not as blue" as well as the bluer periwinkle (whatever.) But my opinion shouldn't influence your art. Keep on snapping!

Margaret said...

I think the photos are fabulous and that you are much too self-critical. Of course I'm also guilty of that. I don't generally like black and white, but it works perfectly with the canoe club.

MARY G said...

Turtle is a real masterpiece. And I am with you on the blue.

Marie Smith said...

Wow. A turtle. None on my home islands!

Silver in AZ said...

I'm always a sucker for purple flowers. :)

gigi-hawaii said...

Your camera captured the reflection on the water beautifully. The trouble with walking in the park is getting bitten.

PipeTobacco said...

Oh, I like the turtle!

PipeTobacco

Kay said...

I love the look of your purple flowers with the Monet like background.

Mara said...

A real wild turtle. So jealous of you now. And it is a brilliant shot as well. It's my favourite.