Tuesday, June 02, 2020

A Swirl of Thoughts

I am at a loss for words about the unfolding protests and violence in the USA. In fact, I have just said so in my comment on several blog posts this morning (Tuesday). It seems so wrong to not say anything, but the situation is so huge and overwhelming that I don't know where to begin. Others have words, for which I am grateful.

Some of these proper words have come from our Prime Minister. What a difference between him and . . . oh, I don't know what to call that other man . . .  president seems so wrong as it implies competence and worthiness of respect. Here's the clip; it is 4 minutes long, but I am sure that you don't have to listen to whole whole thing to get the flavour of his remarks. What a difference! Believe you me, neither Canada nor its prime minister are perfect, but I think we try for the most part.


When I listened to Trevor Noah's thoughts about the situation, something in particular struck me when he said something like this. You may ask what good does looting Target do, but what good does not looting Target accomplish? 

Unfortunately, some demonstrations have turned into riots, which we decry, but wasn't it a riot that finally led to the charge against the cop who killed George Floyd? The timing certainly suggests so.  Of course it is awful to see, but maybe it accomplished something.

The rioting is tough for me to deal with. I hate it, but I think that I may understand it just a little bit. I also understand that it is largely committed by young males, who are not yet fully-formed people, and in addition I also understand that in more than one case that young white males have been part of it too, just making things worse to suit their own racist agendas. 

The role of the police in many cases confuses me. If you were a cop and ordered to clear the protestors for tRumps vile walk to that church, what would you do? You have your orders, and you need your job to feed your family. What an horrible situation promulgated by a horrible man.


Sorry about my ill-constructed stream of consciousness. I am just flummoxed and have thoughts swirling around that I can't construct into any sensible thesis but to say nothing at all doesn't seem right.






17 comments:

DJan said...

Your comments echo my own thoughts over that vile man. I wish we could just get it over with, but we have to wait for November. It cannot come soon enough. I appreciate your post, AC. Thank you for what you have said here.

Jenn Jilks said...

It is horrible.

Marcia said...

Thanks for sharing what Trudeau had to say. What a marked difference from tRump who knows nothing. These are very tough times brought to a head by so many factors but without White House leadership to improve race relations.

Should Fish More said...

Agree with everyone above. I saw a meme recently that seemed to sum it up. it went something like: "As a Canadian, it's like living in an apartment above a meth lab".

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

You are so fortunate to have a leader with intelligence and morals and ethics and the ability to articulate such serious thoughts. We are not so fortunate. But Obama is speaking out, thank heaven. And so are some others. But this problem of racism is enormous. We have to change hearts to change actions. I also have a mind full of swirling thoughts and a sense that there is too little I can do.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

There's nothing wrong with posting what you are thinking. Most sane people would concur that what is happening here in the U.S. is tragic, unfortunate for so many especially in communities that have been looted and destroyed by the actions of looters and rioters, who are surely not protestors. As for the current political situation, I won't even get started on that subject because no amount of ranting would suffice. I enjoyed the PM calm and collected rhetoric.

Margaret said...

I find this a heartfelt, well-written and thoughtful post. An excellent description of how we're all feeling. Thank you for sharing your emotions and wisdom. None of us know what to say or do.

Kay said...

Oh yes! I'm 100% with you on this. This is a beautifully written post.

Tabor said...

We are all confused and angry and do not know where to turn. When that man with the hair was elected I got a very deep revulsion in the pit of my stomach. I got very afraid, not even sure why. But now I understand. Please realize that little is being done to ID exactly who is doing the violent behavior. In some cases it is being stimulated by white supremicists for their own agenda.

Marie Smith said...

I know what you mean. I have the same thoughts and feelings,

Kay said...

I’ve passed on your post to several friends who really appreciated your thoughts.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Thanks for your comments and especially for commenting on my latest blog entry. I couldn't NOT comment on our horrible president and all of last night was a tragedy. How I envy you and all of Canada. Did I ever tell you that my 2 boys were just a few years shy of going to Vietnam. My husband told me if they were old enough he would have taken us all to Canada to live where "the people up there live like you should". I can't imagine what he'd be doing now if he'd lived … I'm so glad you got to know him a bit from my book … he had friends of all colors, sex preference etc. long before it was acceptable.

Joanne Noragon said...

The commentator,Robert Colbert, said BYOP. Be Your Own President.

Rita said...

Trudeau--nice to listen to a reasonable human being with empathy. I greatly miss that in this country. We get violence to clear the way for a photo op. Disgusting.

Mara said...

Hear hear!

Vicki Lane said...

I am fearful for my country as we seem to be inching ever closer to a dictatorship. One of the most disturbing things is the role o whites in the looting and inciting to riot. There is a hidden agenda here.

I saw a meme that said Canada must feel like the innocent folks living above a meth lab. Sadly true.

dellgirl said...

I agree with a lot of what has already been said, nothing meaningful to add to the convo. I am in the same boat as you . . . flummoxed and have a jumble of thoughts swirling around in my head these days. Just stopping by to say hi.