Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Speaking of Mosquitoes

Some of you commented of Danica's top, two posts back. Sue reminded me to mention that Danica tie dyed it as part of her extracurricular learning during these times. As you know, she has also done some cooking and is learning some photography skills, so education continues.


Yesterday morning, shortly after writing my little blog post, I went across the street to lie upon the neighbours lawn. As it turned out, I was mainly offering my body as breakfast for the mosquitoes. It is nice to take care of the ladies, which is what the biting mosquitoes are, but really now.

I did come away with a few quick photos of low-lying pink flowers, which is the real reason that I was lying on the grass as much as I do like to aid the local critters.



I know there are flowers known as Pinks. I don't, however, know if these are officially those flowers.

Speaking of mosquitoes, this seems to be an exceptionally bad year. Sue and I resumed our daily walks after falling out of the habit for a bit. When we went to our usual bench, we didn't even sit down, for as I looked down at my bare legs below my shorts, I thought I saw flecks of mud all over. Then I realized that it wasn't mud but mosquitoes. Seriously, I don't know how many were on me, but there must have been at least a dozen. We were quick to move off.

Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor and nature

We ordered some masks that a friend raved about for their comfort. They are to come from Montreal, which is a 2.5 hour drive. It was shipped a week ago but there is no delivery date available yet. That seems a little much, even in these times. From frightening stories that I am hearing, the masks may not arrive before a vaccine — like maybe June 2021!

Since Shauna had (and still has our car until this afternoon) we were texting about having her pick me up in time for my scheduled grocery pickup. A rather delightful autocorrect occured. I believe that I was just trying to type "to go," but I ended up with "Yugoslavia." I do type poorly, so who knows what keys I hit by mistake; the y and the t are adjacent on the keyboard.


As you know, Sue and I do our selfies together, but this one we did individually for some reason, so I put them together myself.



15 comments:

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Those flowers are a kind of dianthus, which are called pinks...They should have been fragrant in a spicy way...So sorry about the mosquitoes! Yuck...

Anvilcloud said...

Thanks Thicket. Yes they were fragrant, not that I was appreciating it too much at the time.

Barbara Rogers said...

I have found sometimes that mosquitoes are repelled by certain soap scents...and attracted to others. I use a liquid soap called Dr. Bronners, peppermint scent. It has left my bare legs and arms unbitten at times when others were very unhappy. You can also consider slathering on a mosquito repellant with some awful scents! The photos of the Pinks are exquisite though!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yes, the pink flowers are dianthus and we used to have them every year in our yard, but I never tempted the mosquitoes by getting down to ground level. We haven’t been on any trail walks lately so unsure of the 🦟 population here.

Tabor said...

AS everyone has said...one of the dianthus. We have only planted ones here and I am guessing yours were wild? I do like that latest selfie...oddly enough!

Christina said...

Just as well there is no malaria transmission in Canada! We don't get many mosquitoes here but instead, we have the Scottish midge.

I like Danica's tie dye t-shirt, made some myself with the kids when they were little. So much fun!

The the autocorrect made me smile. I just got a new phone with a bigger screen so I can see what I am typing.

Marie Smith said...

That autocorrect is a nuisance but I won’t turn it off.

Margaret said...

I like it even more, now that I know she tie dyed it herself. Messy though! I didn't know that the biting mosquitoes were female. On behalf of ladies everywhere, I apologize. :) How horrible to have that many on you! I love my dianthus; it's that huge pink flowered plant that I posted a photo of a while back.

DJan said...

In times of mosquito plagues, I use repellent, happily. I just remembered a time in Colorado when I was camping overnight by myself. I was forced into my tent and when I saw the clouds of them outside, I stayed in there for the remainder of the evening. Unbearable numbers! :-)

gigi-hawaii said...

Very few mosquitoes in my area. Thank goodness. Hey, I have been to Croatia when it was part of Yugoslavia. Very beautiful.

PipeTobacco said...

The flowers are lovely!!!!

Glad that you are still able to entice the ladies ! 😜. Even if it only mosquitos this morning.

PipeTobacco

Joanne Noragon said...

Pinks for sure. Did you smell them? Just like cinnamon.

Rita said...

Mosquitoes can drive a person indoors pretty quickly.
She did an excellent job on her shirt dying.
I have had some really funny auto-correcting on my texts and when I do the audio texting it doesn't understand me half the time and crazy stuff comes out. I guess I do have a little bit of an accent from growing up around Swedish relatives when I was a kid. ;)

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I assume you mean June 2021 for the vaccine, not June 2020, which is right now!

Anvilcloud said...

David. Do you mean it isn't 2019 anymore? Where does the time go?