Friday, June 19, 2020

Photographing with Danica

Danica and I went for a little photo session together this week, down to the park for some low light photos. I was trying to give her some tips about controlling the photo and the light because the camera does not always record the scene the way you see it or want to see it. For example: the camera will try to brighten a dark scene and darken a bright scee. It's how they work.

I have only seen the two photos that she has posted on FB, so I shall begin with two of mine from our first stop.

I asked for permission to take this photo. I like the light of the lowering sun on her face and arm.


This next one points in the other direction. The seasonal dock has recently been installed, but it is used mostly for fishing. In theory, boats could moor here coming downstream from the lake. But if they want to come into town, there are two more temporary docks nearer to downtown.

We were working on controlling the light, so I deliberately underexposed this photo. I like the silhouettes and reflections.


Danica wanted to move from the park to the beach which lies at the eastern edge of the park. After playing around for a bit, I finally remembered to snap a few photos of her for the record.

One discovery is that she has a straighter eye than I, for when I thought the camera was level for the scene, she kept adjusting it until she was satisfied. I often have to straighten my photos in post, particularly when I use live view (the LCD screen rather than the eye level viewer).


Too bad she ripped her brand new jeans lol

I got out my neutral density filter, and she took this interesting photo. I haven't yet seen any the others that she took,  but it does indicate to me that she may have a unique, artistic eye, for I wouldn't think to do this.

Image may contain: sky, tree, outdoor and nature

They have access to a trailer some weekends, and she has posted some photos from there. I have chosen a few to repost here.

Image may contain: sky, cloud, twilight, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: tree, plant, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: flower, plant, nature and outdoor

Image may contain: text

We'll see how far she takes this, but I hope she is having some fun and learning a little bit.

15 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It’s really great that you and Danica are sharing in your love of photography and may each bring one another new perspectives and approaches.

Himawan Sant said...

A briefing on how to take your photo to Danisa deserves a thumbs up.
The results of the photos here are very beautiful.
The view of the clouds in the afternoon looks so dramatic.

Barbara Rogers said...

Lovely photos, and it's great to see you passing your skills along to the next generation (+ one).

DJan said...

I like those low light photos, but I especially like the two of Danica, who is learning fast! :-)

gigi-hawaii said...

It's nice of you to be her mentor.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

I am now sure that Danica knows more about photography than I do! I am so glad you share this interest. Of your photos I liked best the one of the fisherman in silhouette.

Marie Smith said...

A life long hobby is nothing else. How wonderful you are a part of it.

Tabor said...

Wonderful that you have such a connection with something that you both love. I wish my grands were interested in photography, or gardening or nature, but not enough for us to have built a connection. At least we like each other! I almost always shoot in A mode with my exposure down a few stops as I tend to overexpose all the time.

Margaret said...

How wonderful to spend time with her, and share this passion, for which you both have such a gift! I'm truly blown away by the artistry of all these photos. I keep wondering when those ripped jeans will go out of style. Hopefully soon!

Red said...

More than Danica learn from this post.

Jenn Jilks said...

You are a marvellous grampa! But a wonderful family.

Kay said...

Oh wow! How wonderful that she’s able to learn from you!

PipeTobacco said...

I really like that the two of you are getting to share photography together. And, I really enjoy her dual image where the frame partially looks through the filter.

Do you ever use a polarizing filter in some of your shots? I used to use a camera polarizing filter, not in photography as much as I used it when I was studying bees and wanted to better recognize how they were viewing light. They use cues of polarization of light in their dance language which helps them to communicate locations of nectar and pollen to each other.

PipeTobacco

Joanne Noragon said...

I believe she has tucked away many elements to put together at a later date.

William Kendall said...

These are wonderful.