Thursday, June 25, 2020

One Evening

As I have whinged about in the past, we do not reside in the best of areas for sunsets and sunrises. The angles aren't the best and the vistas are limited. Those who have access to lakefront property can do very well, but, alas, I am but a poor man.

Nevertheless, I decided to traverse a rural road recently at sundown. I was more or less just scouting, but I did have my camera. I ended up popping out of the car and taking very quick photos sans tripod and alternative lenses with, perhaps, better focal lengths.

This was one of my quickies. This spot may be worth a longer visit sometime, but for all of the photos, I was forced to park at least partly on the road, and sometimes quite a bit, so I tried to be quick although there was minimal traffic.


On another road a little later, I found spots of mist or fog near ground level resulting from the afternoon downpour. This road was even more problematic than the first one for stopping as the shoulder was almost non-existent.




This ↓ was my favourite photo of the evening. I perhaps should have gotten myself to the very centre of the road, but I did want to catch the fog in the field off to the right as well as up the road, so one does what one can while going about it very quickly. This was actually a blend of two exposures, one for the sky and, of course, the other for the land. I think this is close to what I saw although I have warmed up the lower half. I also decided to remove the dividing yellow line since it was off-centre and distracting.


The next thing will be to look for a sunrise photo not too far from home. The sun rises so early these days, but I also arose in time this morning, since I didn't sleep much past 2:30. However, both the wind and the cloud cover kept me indoors. Good thing as there was effectively no sunrise. I might have gotten a decent photo of ominous clouds, but I am happy that I sat this one out.

17 comments:

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I love your photos ... and the explanations that go along with them. On another note, your last entry is a perfect example of how the idiot in the White House is literally killing us here in the U.S. It is all so surreal.

Marie Smith said...

The foggy photos have a mystic quality to them. Great job.

Barbara Rogers said...

Those foggy ones are super...but I also liked the barn...and hope you go back and get some shots in detail of its wonderful old wood siding. Sorry getting up early didn't pan out today. I, however, beat my usual slothful time and had my first cuppa on my tiny porch glorying in the coolness of morning.

Vicki Lane said...

These are lovely! I've done that popping in and out of the car thing--usually okay on our relatively untraveled roads. But it's an uneasy feeling.

DJan said...

I am a real fan of fog photos. I love the last two very much! Good job! :-)

gigi-hawaii said...

Some of them look like watercolor paintings. Very nice.

MARY G said...

I am also very taken with the one that is second-last. Parking is always a problem on those roads. I use blinkers and mutter a lot, even in broad daylight.
Nice shots, all of them.

Margaret said...

These are gorgeous photos! I love the misty ones; they are mystical and mysterious. I should already know this, but what kind of camera do you use?

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That last shot was my favorite in this grouping, AC. I also enjoy sunrise photos but it's the getting out of bed that I dislike.

Jenn Jilks said...

These are wonderful! I was up at 3:30 , managed to get back to sleep after 2 iPod audios.

Joanne Noragon said...

Wonderful photos. I've always felt safe with my hazard flashers on. I would watch for other cars, but the most I could have done was watch them hit me.

Angie said...

These photos are breathtaking!!

Rita said...

Love those fog pics!! :)

dellgirl said...

Oh WOW your photos are absolutely beautiful! You always do such a wonderful job on all your photo projects. I love these photos! The one with the fog is my favorite. Thanks for sharing the inspiration.

Wishing you a great weekend, my friend. Stay Safe!

Mara said...

Love the hazy ones. Are there never any cows in the fields?

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

Kay said...

Oh my gosh! These are absolutely gorgeous! I LOVE mist! It’s such an ethereal feeling. The colors are so peaceful and beautiful.