Tuesday, July 04, 2023

Trips, Licenses and Things

Shauna surprised me yesterday morning when she messaged this photo.

They were on the their way across province to visit Sha's friends in Sarnia. Shauna was born and raised there — 6 or 7 hours driving distance from here in Eastern Ontario to there in Southwestern Ontario. Thank goodness they're driving across province in the south and not the north because it take days, to drive across Northern Ontario. Yes, it's a huge province.

Anyway, I was surprised to see Danica behind the wheel. I shouldn't have been for it makes sense. It's just that her driving is a new thing. She can only drive for the first hour or so. After that, they will be travelling on major highways, which she is not permitted to do with her graduated license. Still, it's a little break for Mom. It was such a break that she was able to complete Wordle in 2 tries as they travelled. I got it in 3 later.

Sue and I made the trip quite often from 1998 to 2005 which is when we finally moved here to be closer to Shauna. If possible, we would take the lazy backroads and perhaps stretch it into a 9-hour odyssey. Shauna does not have the time or inclination to do that, and the kids would be highly disapproving of a 9-hour sightseeing route.

===================

To continue the transportation theme, their dad dropped by with his new conveyance (photos and composite by Sue).

He went out once day and came home declaring that he had purchased a motorcycle. He has some past experience with dirt bikes, but he has had to take thorough instruction regardless in order to get his motorcycle license, which is much more difficult to obtain than a car license. His partner is not terribly amused and swears that she will not permit her daughters to ride with him.

Meanwhile, Sue does want to hitch a ride once Eric is fully licensed. I probably will also take a turn, but unlike Sue, I am not exactly itching. 

===================

Just two other random photos while I am at it: the first of the first daylilies of the season. Unfortunately, some were a day or two old and already spent by the time that I took this. The idea was to shoot past and through other foliage to create a blur effect. It sort of worked but not as well as I might have hoped. 

These are the common, ubiquitous daylilies. We let them grow in the back 40, as it were, partly because we can hardly stop them. We have nice, modern and tamer cultivars out front; they are in bud but not yet in flower.


===================

Finally, a phone photo while we were waiting for night to fall, or at least blue hour, so we could take some bridge-lights photos. I liked the bit of colour in the sky and reflections, which I was able to accentuate a bit more in edit. We were a little behind town hall at this point, looking across to the dam and falls with St James Church way in the distance.

===================

Oh, and Happy July 4th to all o' ye YankeeDoodleDandies.


15 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

OH WOW to your phone photo - that is spectacular. I have lots of cultivated daylilies in my garden just budding up now; they are one of my most favourite perennials in the garden. Well done Danica.

Marie Smith said...

The phone photo is beautiful! My husband wants a motorcycle so he can relive his youth. Me, not so much!

DJan said...

I am terrified of riding on motorcycles, so I understand your reticence. Love the pictures, and I too like the phone photo very much.

Boud said...

My youth, too, riding pillion all over England, and I learned to drive one, but didn't pursue it. Definitely something to do when you're too young to know better!

Marcia said...

Love that last photo. One thing I miss at this house is the sunsets. There's a small mountain to the west and it's only when there is lots of color do we see it over top the hill.

Barbara Rogers said...

I owned and rode a smallish motorcycle. I always thought of myself as safe on it...but the other drivers on the road had all that metal around them, and they were crazy. So it was a short lived adventure. That photo is so rich, with reflections, movement, details...I love it!

William Kendall said...

I would rather take the backroads instead of the freeway on such a trip.

Margaret said...

I didn't realize that Ontario was that big. I'll need to look on a map. I thought I would get the wordle (today?) in 2 but it took me four; there were too many possibilities. I dislike motorcycles and would watch other people ride rather than getting on it myself.

Cloudia said...

As a licensed motorcyclist since 1969, I commend your son-in-law for getting training. It is new riders that often have spills. I would allow him to gain confidence and skill and experience before adding extra weight and riding with passengers. Just my opinion. I would advise him to just know that he is invisible and to be extremely cautious scanning the road front, back and sides. And much further ahead too! Not to mention the road surface ,which is now much more important to him than to a car rider. Motorcycles are very different to cars. They offer a wonderful, even religious experience and are certainly therapeutic to the rider. I wish him all the best in the world. I still have all my fingers and toes and mobilities, although I will say that over 60 I gave it up because I perceived a decline in my reflexes. Hope this wasn't unwelcome or too long-winded. Thank you for this interesting post. Aloha!

Cloudia said...

And yes! Ontario is huge! And beautiful

RedPat said...

I love the last shot with the colour in the reflections.

Granny Sue said...

That last photo is a stunner. And so is Danica! Not a fan of motorcycles myself but my husband had one in his younger days and still yearns for one.

Joanne Noragon said...

Every time I get a new driver's license, I check to be sure it has the motorcycle endorsement before I leave the building.

MARY G said...

Lovely sunset shot ... and I am enjoying the pic of the grandkid driving. How fast they grow,up.

Jenn Jilks said...

That is a sweet shot!