Thursday, July 20, 2023

The Garbage Wagon

Sue’s paternal grandfather was a character with a lot of sayings. He would play cribbage with Sue’s Dad, and expressions aplenty would ensue: Jehoshaphat, Jerusalem etc. They were said with great expression. He might declare, "Next week's tea and sugar," to describe a poor hand. A particular favourite of mine was, “After the Lord Mayor’s Show, comes the garbage wagon.” He would frequently recite this when a poor hand followed a good one.

His use of “garbage wagon” was somewhat euphemistic when you think of the cleanup that would have been necessary after a team of horses had paraded by. The Lord Mayor could put on a fine, ostentatious show, but reality would follow.

I am thinking of Grampa’s old saying this morning (written on Wednesday, to be posted on Thursday) as I reflect of my recent two nights of sleep.

On Monday night, I had a good Lord Mayor sleep — more than 7 hours. That is about as good as it gets in my sorry, restless life. Unfortunately, the garbage wagon followed last night. As I contemplated my sleep time this morning, I calculated that I slept maybe an astounding 3 hours. When I checked with my sleep app she/he/they pretty much concurred but gave me an additional 25 minutes. Gee, thanks.

It was one of those nights when I couldn’t seem to get comfortable. I couldn’t figure out whether I was hot or cold and had a tough time getting to sleep and staying asleep.

After not soaking through for two consecutive nights, I was back to my old ways last night. Sigh. Then, come 2:30 or so, I also experienced some cramps. Wouldn't you know, the cat then decided to hop on the bed. She went by me to get up onto the bureau by the window. I leave a treat there for her there when I go to bed, and she usually comes up for it sometime during the night. When I am deeply asleep (it does happen on occasion) I am not aware of her peregrinations, but of course, I was aware of her presence last night.

She has almost gotten to the point of not bothering me if I am asleep, but I twitched last night (this morning) when she went by, and so she came for a visit. I felt obliged to pet her. She felt obliged to bite me. These are love bites, you understand, and I appreciate them, but she got  extra lovey and actually broke skin — just one little mark from one little tooth.

It was 3:30. Resignedly, I gave up and got up. I published yesterday’s post, played Sudoku and Wordle, read some stuff and then decided to write this up.

It’s now 6:09 Wednesday morning. I am about to head to the shower to wash off last night’s sweat. That may be my last semi useful accomplishment on this garbage wagony sort of day.

==================

Sue's grandfather lived to be 105. We didn't see him for the last decade or so, but I understand that he remained compo mentis until the end.

20 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Oh I do like this word, peregrinations. It makes those meandering wanders sound so much more than annoying. I've read that cats worry about their owners sleeping too long, so "check on them" with love bites. I'm not buying that. Sue's Grandfather had some good expressions & I'm going to try to work the garbage one into a conversation some how!

Barbara Rogers said...

Great jumping Jehosophats! Tell that to Miss Lacey if she gets so violent with her love bites. She'd probably go away. Love to think of new (to me) sayings thanks to Sue's Grandfather. Apparently playing cards and simple statements went along with long life. Sorry you're going to deal with super tired from lack of sleep today.

Jenn Jilks said...

We've had cats give love bites. Silly things.
Sounds like a fun grampa! I love the language.

DJan said...

I simply could not function on that little sleep, but I did manage to get almost seven hours last night and woke feeling refreshed, but at 4:30am. I don't do well sleeping in the heat, and it's still warm inside our apartment this morning.

Jenny the Pirate said...

I came to say what Patio Postcards said: WOW peregrinations, now there is a word that I love. Just the sound of it, and also its cool meaning. I do some peregrinating my own self but not usually in the middle of the night. And my CAT is secured in the sun room, in her giant condo, and no animal will be hopping onto my bed, thank you very much. I'll get my love bites from her when fully awake and seated in my recliner, playing Wordle, Dordle, Quardle, Octordle, and Sedcordle -- Sedecordle being my hands-down favorite. Sorry about your trashy night of sleep after a Lord Mayor's parade night. I can relate and so can my TG, who also suffers from leg cramps. Ugh. Wishing you many hours of soft slumber tonight. xoxo

Boud said...

I rarely experience sleeplessness, but there have been times I'd have liked to avoid the endless nightmares.

Marcia said...

I can't even begin to imagine what you feel like on so little sleep. Or maybe I can - when we fly overnight to Europe and get terrible sleep on the plane and then have to function the next morning in a new strange place. Yikes! Facing that in September! Why did you remind me? Hope you get some naps today.

Celia said...

My sympathies. Sleep, precious sleep, whither hast thou gone? Or something. Unusually hot here in E Washington State. 100f+ right now. Even with air conditioning I can't seem to sleep more than 2-3 hours at a time. Grandpa sounds like he was a treasure.

RedPat said...

Night is not your friend.

Margaret said...

That's tough to revel in the extra sleep only to be miserable the next night. Mari doesn't do love bites but Ziggy (my older daughter's orange cat) does and they HURT. I love the sayings; there were many odd ones in my parents' small hometown and a few only made sense if you lived there. My dad would sometimes say someone was, "sober as Judge Connell" who was one of the town alcoholics.

Catalyst said...

Ah yes, those "garbage wagon" nights when nothing seems to work. I find myself getting cramps in my ankles, of all places, in recent days. Not every night but enough to tick me off. So it goes as we age, A.C.

William Kendall said...

Lacey must be Lacey.

Jeanie said...

that's a GREAT expression! And I love that Lacey is leaving you to sleep. Now, just don't twitch! (Lizzie's pretty good that way but when the feet his the floor she doesn't shut up till she's fed!)

roentare said...

Sleep is often measured by quality not by length. Duration of sleep does help at an optimum of 7-9 hours. However, it is the number of REM sleep cycles that determine the quality of the sleep and the phase one wakes up at.

Joanne Noragon said...

I've come to sleep like a baby. I love it.

PipeTobacco said...

I very much liked seeing the word “ peregrinations”….. I do not often think of it, but it is so beautifully descriptive….. I shall have to try to keep it more in mind. Your grandfather’s saying….. new to me….. is very delightful too! I very much enjoy such alliterative thoughts and phrases!!!

PipeTobacco

Marie Smith said...

To live to be 105 is quite a feat. I hope you sleep tonight, AC.

Vicki Lane said...

So sorry about your bad night. I love hearing about Sue's grandfather and I think I shall endeavor to say Jehoshaphat more often.

Kay said...

105 and in good mental health? That is enviable... awesome! My mom is 95 and we are trying to stay on top of things as her memory worsens each month. Scary.

Kay said...

And there goes MY brain! She's going to be 94 this year. Sheesh!