Sunday, July 16, 2023

Out and About and Up Too

Although I have made little forays into stores to pick up an item or three, I have resisted grocery shopping for ... I dunno ... maybe two months. But I have missed shopping — sorta.

I joke with Sue about the joy and zen of grocery shopping, but while she very much dislikes the experience, I don't mind it at all. And I certainly prefer shopping in person to ordering online.

I took a photo to commemorate the occasion. It's a panoramic sweep with my phone in the produce department. There was a guy walking through, and I knew it would make an interesting effect.

A separated leg and an elongated head and arm

This brings me to health issues, for it has been several weeks since I whinged* about my predicament. Of course that and the return to the grocery store indicate that I am doing rather okayish.

What I cannot quite get over are the night sweats. But they are better than they were. At the height of the sweats, you may recall that I soaked through four times in one night, which meant changing five times. And Sue had to do one or two extra washings of the sheets for a few weeks.

Well, I am still sweating nightly, but in modified form. For the most part, I am down to once-a-night sweating. On a few nights, I haven't bothered to get up and change my night clothes although I probably should have.

It disturbs my repose to get up and change during the night. Last night, I changed at 2ish and couldn't get back to sleep after fumbling about, trying to get my shirt oriented in the dark. First I had to get it right-side up and then figure out back and front. Try that in the dark when you're only half awake.

Then, I couldn't get back to sleep although I gave it my best shot. However, I was up drinking coffee by 4am, and here I am, almost finishing this past by 5 o'clock.

Last night aside, I had been sleeping somewhat better for almost a week. By that I mean that I have been tending to sleep for 6 hours or so, which is much better than 5 hours or less (fewer? — I think it is debatable — are you there, Grammar Guru Mary?). According to my sleep app, I even made it to 7 hours twice recently. That is about as good as it ever gets in my world and something that won't happen often. Unfortunately.

On this early morning, I have already read about Canadian slang here from dictionary.com. Canada is a big country, so even I don't know all of the words that were listed. However, I do use keener, eavestrough, bachelor apartment, two-four, tuque, rink rat, chinook, and loonie. How are you with those words?

But now it's still very very early, and I think I'll head over to my chair, play Sudoku and Wordle, check blogs, and perhaps read a bit. I have an Elly Griffiths' mystery that I stared last night. But it is not her Ruth Galloway series. I liked that series quite a lot, but I don't know about this, Harbender Kaur, series.

What I won't do is head out with my camera this morning. The day is breaking very nicely with a good sky, but no, I am not that ambitious. I was often keen last summer, but a year can make a difference.

*Speaking of Canadian English, I used the word, whinged, above. My American spellcheck built into my browser (or is it Blogger?) flagged it, but it is a perfectly fine word, meaning to complain persistently and in a peevish or irritating way, as in "Stop whingeing and get on with it!" Mind you, not many Canadians use whinge, but I do watch quite a lot of British telly.


20 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

Is chinook a helicopter? Otherwise I don't know those words.
I enjoy Dr Ruth Galloway too.
The less/fewer question - hm, there isn't an obvious right or wrong in this case I think.

Barbara Rogers said...

I did notice your method of telling the awfulness of things is spelled differently than mine. Canadian slang was a bit harder, except those descriptive words. I imagine American slang even would be tough for me to recognize these days!

Anvilcloud said...

A chinook is a warming wind that descends the rastern slope of the Eockies into the western Prairies. A similar wind in Europe around the Alps is called the fohn IIRC.

Granny Sue said...

Some of your slang I recocognize--whinge, Chinook, eavestrough, and loonies. The others are new to me.
Glad to hear you are improving healthwise. It has been quite a journey.

Jeanie said...

I'm glad the sleep is improving. I like the grocery store photo. Rick and I went grocery shopping last night together. We shouldn't do that! We were both hungry and crabby and we shop very differently!

DJan said...

I learned about chinook when living in Colorado. We get those winds often. I'll go look at the list you mentioned and see what I don't know. :-)

Boud said...

I know chinook from Calgary friends. Eavestrough is ever so English. As is whingeing!

RedPat said...

I use all those words and didn't know they were Canadian slang.

Marcia said...

How do you pronounce whinge? Soft or hard g? Long or short i?

Catalyst said...

Sorry to hear about your sleep problems. As we get older . . yada yada yada. At 83 I am lucky if I can get through a night with only one wake-up call but I usually go right back to sleep. Now our newish cat wants to be fed at 5 a.m. and that's too early for either Judy or I but today I finally gave up and fed her at about 20 til 6 and then, of course, I was up for the day. Oh well.

Marie Smith said...

Glad to hear you have improved with sleep though the night sweats are still bothering you. My Covid induced sweats are over, thankfully, though it took some time.

roentare said...

You are spot on! My friend and I are starting to enjoy the Zen of shopping. It is quite introspective.

I don't like the American spelling check on blogger as well.

Ed said...

I’ve been staying inside these last two days thanks to you Canadians and your uncontrolled wildfires. Perhaps I should have been brushing up on my Canadian slang but didn’t.

Red said...

Whinge is one word I've never heard of even though I do a lot of whining and ranting.

Vicki Lane said...

Check out the new Connections game! I've added it to my morning of Wordle and Chrono. Quite fun.

Margaret said...

I don't know that Canadian slang at all! Is the loonie a coin though? :) I'm with Sue; I don't like to grocery shop and prefer to order on-line for pick up. Glad that the night sweats are better--do you always sleep in a shirt? Is it better to do so to protect the sheets?

Jenny the Pirate said...

Ugh disrupted sleep is the WORST. And although I am a wordie (do you use that term?), I have never heard any of those Canadian slang words. I looked up bachelor apartment, which here I believe would be a studio. Anyway, our granddaughter Dagny, age nine, loves to take those panoramic shots with her mother's phone. Once she took Baby Rhett's head clean off his body in the parking lot at church. Weird. Also I don't mind the word whinge (actually I find it rather charming) but I cannot stand the word whilst. It just grates on me. Like, just say WHILE and don't get all uppity about it, haaahhaa. xoxo

Jenn Jilks said...

I am really careful with sleep hygiene, seeing as I have a hard time getting to sleep!
Those sweats, I can empathise!

William Kendall said...

I don't sleep well in the heat.

MARY G said...

Less for an indeterminate amount; fewer for an exact or numerate, amount. Less sleep. Fewer than four hours of sleep.
I have loaded the ‘Grammarly' app to try it, and it will not allow me to put an 'ant' ending on indeterminant. Okay. Now it let me. I am about to try whinge; ha. That went through.