Friday, July 21, 2023

Meetups

Meetup 1

For the first time in awhile, we had a little family dinner this week, minus Danica, who is working many hours this summer. Sha and JJ introduced us to a new card game, Phase 10, which they learned on their recent holiday. The one-eyed boy and hairless AC are setting up to play it in the photo.

Meetup 2

Sue and I had a picnic lunch in the park. I guess this can be considered a meeting — for the purpose of this post, at least. This was our first of the summer. We had tried a few days earlier, but the wind was ferocious that day, so we ate in the car. This was a lovely day with gentle breezes and moderate temperatures.

I used Sue's phone to take a fairly wide selfie, so that I could get some of the river in the frame. I held the phone, and Sue clicked from her phone.

I think her phone has a separate wide angle mode that I could have used to shoot
even wider but I forgot about that as I don't have it on my phone.

Life drifted by on the water. Summer camp at the Canoe Club is in full swing.


Sue took a little video. It picked up a bit of a tune from my Celtic playlist.



Meetup 3

I met with the photo boys at, Deadly Grounds. the newest café in town. They certainly pick up on the deadly theme in their décor and food offerings, including skull-shape muffins that I am not going to show here as they were in a reflective display case.

The Three Photographer Amigos

Bob by the casket: we sat there for 2 hours without
realizing that it was a casket.

Nick and AC

A few of the decorations









19 comments:

Marie Smith said...

They won’t need to decorate for Hallowe’en, that’s for sure. The cafe, not you guys!

DJan said...

Nice meetups and writeups, too. :-)

Vicki Lane said...

Lunch by the river looks heavenly!

Barbara Rogers said...

Cool shots of you and your friends in that strange coffee house! Loved the shot by the river...and I've been getting ads to get that game...how did you like it?

Anvilcloud said...

Hi Barb. My first time with Phase 10 was fun, and I’d like to play again, which we may with JJ this weekend. It is a 10 round game in which you try to get kinds and runs. Due to the time, we played about 5 rounds. You probably need at least three people to play it, but 4 or more might be best.

gigi-hawaii said...

Nice meet ups. The prettiest was the one next to the water.

Celia said...

Such a nice spot to sit by the river. Nice photo and you could see the canoes. Wonderful.

Margaret said...

Love card and board games! We got very into Quiddler when we visited my younger daughter in the hospital. Sitting by the river would be such a treat. Los Tres Amigos are a fine-looking and congenial bunch. A casket, oh, my!

RedPat said...

Sitting by the river would be so refreshing. It is good that you finally got there.

Jenn Jilks said...

What a lovely river it is!
We had lunch by the water yesterday. It was tricky, but we did it!

Catalyst said...

A splendid week, I'd say. It's too hot here to venture outside for more than watering the plants on our patio.

Liz Hinds said...

How lovely to have all those gatherings.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Some wonderful meetups. Looks like fun. Deadly Grounds is a great name for a coffee shop!

William Kendall said...

That Cafe looks suitable eccentric.

roentare said...

It is really good to have human connections!

peppylady (Dora) said...

It been a while since I played phase 10

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Great that you were able to get to the park on what looked like a lovely day and not unbearable hot as you were wearing a jacket. We have placed other card games, but not Phase 10, which may be in our collection.

Kay said...

You have a wonderfully happy social life! That's JJ? Wow! He's so grown-up and looks different from what I remember.

Jenny the Pirate said...

Not for nothing my friend, but that is a coffin -- and a pinch toe at that -- not a casket. A casket is more like furniture. At any rate that coffee shop's name reminds me of my recent trip down the water aisle at the store after some Perrier (I ended up with Pellegrino) where there were cans of water called Liquid Death -- written in that same lurid font as the coffee shop. I don't understand water being called Liquid Death but no matter as I will not buy it. Your picnic by the water was idyllic and good for Sue, getting such a nice video including the tunes. xoxo