Saturday, July 29, 2023

On the Lookout

We don't use our little backyard much. For one thing, it is hot as blazes during the day when the sun beats down relentlessly. For another, there is a busy road just beyond, so it isn't terribly pleasant at the best of times.

But I did sit out there for awhile last evening.


I was skywatching . . .


. . . because we had been alerted to a tornado watch. So, I sat with my after-dinner tea, looking westward, which is where disturbances would track.


As you saw, above, the sky did not look at all ominous. When I peeked around the corner, looking more north than west, there was a large vertical cloud, but it still didn't look dark and threatening.



After awhile, I tracked the storms via online radar, and I saw that the line of storms were passing about 10 miles to the north. (We are the blue dot on the screenshot.)


Sue had gathered crucial items by the basement door, but all was calm here in Carleton Place.

I see that a tornado did touch down a day earlier near Petrolia: a town far away in southwestern Ontario, near Lake Huron and Michigan. I taught there for a dozen years, and one of the students had a very close call with a tornado. Her older brother pulled her into the basement just before the tornado hit. A short while later they emerged to find that their house had been obliterated.

I knew the house and had taught her older sister, Lynn, but I didn't know how close of a call Tracey had until she wrote about it in an English assignment, several years later.

You can see Petrolia on the map, outlined in red toward the bottom right. The body of water to the top left is the mouth of Lake Huron, and the urban area just below it is Sarnia, where we lived for more than 3 decades. Port Huron is the Michigan town on the other side of the river, 


According to this article, there were no injuries, but there was some damage.





17 comments:

Boud said...

Glad the sky watching turned out peaceful.

William Kendall said...

We got the storm here. When the tornado warning went out, the storm was in Arnprior.

Jenn Jilks said...

I was quite the storm in Ottawa! I am glad it missed you.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh no, you're a tornado watcher now! Glad there wasn't one to see this time. Now just don't go chasing them down the road! Not to mention taking photos of them! Please.

Marie Smith said...

We’d better get accustomed to these watches, alerts and warnings. Glad everything turned out ok for you.

DJan said...

Whew! Better to watch and not see them than be in the middle of the turmoil, to my mind anyway.

Vicki Lane said...

That's a beautiful sky! Glad the tornadoes missed you..

Debby said...

We've had a lot of storms trundling through. We've got accustomed to juggling our work schedule around the weather. Last night heading back, I was studying the clouds. They were so black and ominous. We were moving in and out of localized heavy rain. I almost had a heart attack when I looked up and saw a funnel cloud. It took me a shocked minute to ascertain what I was seeing: a funnel shaped cloud. That's all. A bit of cloud shaped like a funnel.

Karen said...

It blew north and west of us too, but Petawawa and Pembroke got a good shake. I have family in Petrolia and Sarnia. They seem to be rather lackadaisical about the horrible storms they get.

RedPat said...

I'm glad that it missed you. We got no rain last night at all but it has been raining this morning.

Margaret said...

I never imagine any tornadoes in Canada or even in most of the US except the Midwest. Too many viewings of "Wizard of Oz?"

Granny Sue said...

Like Margaret, I would never think tornado and Canada in the same thought! Glad it passed you by. We have had a few very s.all tornadoes here but they usually break up when they hit these West Virginia hills,

Jenny the Pirate said...

This was surely terrifying for some, but I am glad you had no tornado activity. Trying to imagine coming up from the basement and finding my house obliterated but not coming up with anything. My imagination cannot go there. xoxo

Catalyst said...

Scary weather everywhere this year.

roentare said...

The sky is most beautiful!

Red said...

We got some hail a few evenings ago from some innocent clouds that developed. I watched them until I had to go in.

William Kendall said...

We got smacked by it.