Monday, July 03, 2023

Back at the Bridge

I showed one bridge-lights photo two days ago, but of course, I took many pictures, as did Sue. So, now that I am done with fireworks (just for the moment, but stay tuned), I would like to show more of our bridge photos.

Of course, our main concept was to capture the bridge with town hall in the background.



I mixed in a few phone photos (like the one below), and they turned out really well, so that it is difficult to tell the difference in quality.


I went across the bridge (not across the river) to be on the same side as town hall. The compositions are a little tight to the edge by town hall. I should have shot a little wider. Objects too close to the edge of the frame can be a little jarring.



I took several photos of just the bridge from that side. I like this dark and moody result although it may not appeal to the masses. 


Finally, we headed over to the southwest bank although you can't see town hall from there. Perhaps we could have done something that included town hall from the southeast corner, but we would have been very close to the building, so I don't know if it would have worked. I am thinking, however, of  returning with my wide angle lens to see if there might possibly be a composition there.

This photo includes Beloved, just to the right of the bridge, slightly past the edge of the building.


Sue also captured the Unbeloved Curmudgeon (actually I am not curmudgeonly, or not often). I love the geometry in this ↓ photo. I could have used Photoshop to remove the wires that protrude from my head, but I couldn't be bothered.


Then, Sue took a closer photo from the same position.


That pretty well wraps up one of my few (or only) photographic ventures in quite a long time. It felt most excellent to get back out there.

19 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh what a fun series! I have my two favorites...shall I tell? The last one is definitely one of them. Number two is the other. So glad you all were out there in the dark hours capturing these!

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh what a fun series! I have my two favorites...shall I tell? The last one is definitely one of them. Number two is the other. So glad you all were out there in the dark hours capturing these!

Marie Smith said...

Yay! For getting back out there. Beautiful results too!

Jeanie said...

I like the bridge and it's a beautiful building. Your night photography is lovely.

Granny Sue said...

Glad you are able to do this again! Your town hall is stunning. The angles show well in your photos.

MARY G said...

Love it! If,you drop me a copy, Imwill,dewire you.

Cloudia said...

A very pleasant series of evening photographs. The tower clock is the indispensable face. Looking down upon it all. Like an angel and a Renaissance painting. Nicely done. Glad I stopped by today.

gigi-hawaii said...

I love the reflections on the water. The red really stands out.

Marcia said...

This must mean you are felling a whole lot better. That bridge lit is very cool.

NGS said...

I like the dark, moody version, too. Maybe I'll be over here in the occasional curmudgeon group with you.

RedPat said...

I like the ones with the town hall the best.

PipeTobacco said...

(Grin) I like the photos of you….. you rotated the brim of your cap 180 degrees while in “artist” mode. I actually do the same thing when I am playing my saxophone! And, at least for me, it is a part of attempting to be more “artistic”. 😜

PipeTobacco

Kay said...

I’m so happy for you, John. It’s fun to try to get the perfect color and composition.
I returned from Tokyo a couple of days ago and am totally totally jet lagged. Will be posting about the trip once my head is back to normal.
It’s amazing that cellphones can take such awesome photos these days. We don’t bring a regular camera on trips anymore.

Jenn Jilks said...

Well done. It's kinda nice reading about the two of you going out like this.
JB has been restricted, what with banging up his knees. He woke from a nightmare and hurt the one really bad one falling beside the bed! SIGH>

roentare said...

What a great photographic experience there. That bridge oozes great vibe!

The Furry Gnome said...

Well done!

Vicki Lane said...

Nice series! You folks are dedicated!

William Kendall said...

These are beautifully taken!

Margaret said...

It's difficult to decide which are my favorites because they all have something to offer. I'm delighted that you're back out there snapping and that Sue and you can share this hobby. P.S. You don't seem at all curmudgeonly to me but Sue would need to be consulted on that. :)