Tuesday, July 18, 2023

How the Americans Saved Wimbledon

How did the Americans save Wimbledon? Did Wimbledon, in fact, need saving? 

It wasn’t exactly like the Yanks stepping in to turn the tide in WWII, but they did make Wimbledon a lot better in the end. However, I wish, like in WWII, they hadn’t waited so long.

You see, for a week and a half, we watched a rather poor feed from Wimbledon. For one thing, there was much background static until point started. When the serve was tossed, the static stopped. As soon as the point was over, it started back up again. I kept asking Sue, “If they can stop the background noise for the actual play, why can’t they keep it off?” Sue was no help.

The video angles were not the best, and the commentary was so-so. Some commentating was good enough, but we saw at least one game with no commentary whatsoever. There were no panel discussions before or after matches, where play was analyzed, or where players were interviewed. I like hearing what the experts have to say about players and matches. It’s part if the experience or should be. It wasn’t, and I was disappointed. 

The experience wasn’t the same, not what I was used to, not what I was expecting.

Then on Wednesday, the Americans were back. That horrid noise was gone, and both the analytics and video were better. Of course, the commercials were back too, but it seemed like a fair price to pay.

We probably had seen some sort of generic feed early on, but when the Americans finally showed up, it was all much better. All of my favourite analysts and commentators were back, and I was able to soak up the experience, just as I had done for many decades.


15 comments:

Boud said...

I used to long for the "analysts" to shut up! Remember when Martina Navratilova was invited to comment and they criticized her for being silent during points? She said you don't talk over the action if you know anything about the game! She talked between points only.

But they preferred people blathering over it and she didn't get to continue. I think it's the difference between having played and having watched! Two different hanimals.

Anvilcloud said...

I'm am not sure what you mean. There is no commentary during points that I can recall, and I watch a fair bit. It's all between points or before and after games. I appreciate that as one who used to play.

Boud said...

They used to talk right through the points. Back when I watched. Probably a hangover from radio commentary, come to think of it.

Marie Smith said...

Is it Wimbledon time again?

Anvilcloud said...

@Marie: not any longer. 😊

William Kendall said...

Tennis baffles me.

gigi-hawaii said...

Yay for Americans! Proud Yankee here.

Barbara Rogers said...

So I'm waiting for the women's world cup...best start timing when I'll record the matches I want.

RedPat said...

I watched it on TSN and didn't notice any issues although I didn't get a chance to watch it every day.

Ed said...

A topic I have never thought about since where I live, the Americans are always on.

Jeanie said...

At least you can see it. You have to have a lot of stuff I don't have to stream the Tour de France so we've just watched highlights.

PipeTobacco said...

I am glad you have a better view of the tournament now.

Margaret said...

I'm glad you had a chance to finally enjoy it. I'm relieved that the Americans made it better since it seems like we usually make it worse. LOL

Jenny the Pirate said...

A happy ending! God bless America. I myself tend to dislike too much talking over the action, preferring to simply watch the action. But I don't pay much attention to tennis; for me it's baseball. Jim Deshaies announcing a Chicago Cubs game is the best. xoxo

Jenn Jilks said...

I cannot stand the American commentators. They need to focus on the Americans too much.
Depending upon the stadium, or the relative importance of players, they might have big names commenting.
I prefer the non-commentator experience. They help when situations arise, but they like to cite what they did 20 years ago.