Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Shooting Through

You may recall that I recently tried to photograph a daylily through the leaves of our lilac bush. It was only moderately successful — as is this new photo that I tried yesterday.

I don't mind the result, but I wasn't really satisfied either. Then, I thought I should try to get the camera closer to the lilac leaves.

I seemed to be onto something, for getting closer really gave a soft look to the image. But there is much extra stuff (that's the proper technical word) here.

I tried again, and I think this ↓ was the shot. 

It is a pretty nice image, large on my computer: not perfect, but what is?

I shall try to be aware of other opportunities to try this shooting through effect.

17 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Each of these three have merit. I wouldn’t be able to pick a favourite.

Barbara Rogers said...

Lovely! I just discovered the portrait setting on the iPhone camera gives shorter depth of field.

DJan said...

I too like them all. Nice effect.

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful, especially the last one.

MARY G said...

I really like the last try, b ut wonder if it would be possible to focus the front of the lily as well. Love the colour values.

Tabor said...

That shooting-through thing works about 50% of the time with me. Too many buttons and settings.

Liz Hinds said...

I don't know. I think I like the first one best.

Jenny the Pirate said...

There's a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. xoxo

Margaret said...

That last one is perfect!

William Kendall said...

I like the result.

RedPat said...

You nailed it with the last one.

J. S. Vila said...

The photographs of this flowers are very good. But remember that in the continúe practice there is the experience and the success.

Have a nice summer.

roentare said...

You remind me of the film days shooting various flowers with DOF control. I love the soft low contrast vibe from the shots.

Catalyst said...

They are all good but you're right, the third macro shot is the best.

Granny Sue said...

Such attention to detail is what makes you a fine photographer. I like them all.

Jenn Jilks said...

You have a particular eye!
I'm still having floaters, so it's been difficult to focus.

Jeanie said...

The shooting through is nice -- you have patience!