Sunday, July 02, 2023

In the End We had a Blast

Well, that was a bit crazy but pretty funny too. We set up to shoot the fireworks.

There was an online notice that the show would begin at 10 o'clock, 15 minutes later than scheduled. At 10 we heard noises, so someone somewhere was doing something with fireworks. We saw nothing. It was odd because, as you have previously witnessed, I have some very good photos from the window in the past.

We concluded that they had changed the setup this year, so we tore our setup down. I went to my den. Sue went to bed.

After 5 or 10 minutes, Sue called out that there were fireworks. She thought she had heard something and had seen some flashes over thataway. She got up to check.

Hurriedly, I grabbed my stuff and set it back up and began to fire away. Sue never did get set her phone back up in the frenzy.

I got some photos but nothing great. The result doesn't matter because I don't spend my life agonizing over getting the perfect fireworks shot, and I already have some results from past years that are pretty good.

If you regard those first two photos ↑ you might notice that I had set up to get the whole building (see photo 1) in the frame, but it turned out that all of bursts, this year, were over the right side. Had I known, I could have focused more on that area. Instead I cropped a lot, and that's okay too.


The point is that I got some photos, and that cheered me, for I had almost put my camera away for the past month or two. We had a good laugh over the situation, and laughter is the best medicine — or so they are wont to say.

We'll remember and enjoy the humour of these particular Canada Day fireworks.

19 comments:

Boud said...

The pictures that nearly weren't!

Barbara Rogers said...

Some Canadians must have been down here on holiday. Even before dark, I started hearing the booms of big fireworks. Living under the canopy of maples, I couldn't see anything at all. But it lasted quite a long while. Our Fourth celebration usually has about 15 minutes that are attended by crowds downtown. I never feel like dealing with the traffic and parking in order to see them, so I haven't any shots of them. So happy day after Canada Day!

Barwitzki said...

You say it, fireworks should be fun... you should enjoy them and maybe marvel at the beautiful colors... everything done right... had fun.
By the way, nice pictures you show.
Many happy greetings from Viola.

Marie Smith said...

It doesn’t take much of a delay for the seniors to retire! Lol.

Margaret said...

It's such a metaphor for life: I got what I got and did what I did. They are lovely photos and you're satisfied with them. Letting go of expectations seems to be the story of my life lately.

RedPat said...

You still got some good shots.

Granny Sue said...

Like Barb, apparently there were celebrations here too, as fireworks were banging away. Fortunately we live so far out that it sounded like distant thunder or gunshots. I do enjoy a good show, though.

roentare said...

Quite clever to do fireworks that way. I envy you!

Red said...

Fire works happens too far away for me to see. I used to go down and see them when we didn't have such good cameras.

The Furry Gnome said...

They look like good photos to me. Fireworks aren't that easy to photograph.

DJan said...

They are great shots, especially knowing how impromptu they were! :-)

Marcia said...

I like those for all the colors you captured.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You did pretty darn good, AC, for getting reset up in a hurry. We may or may not have fireworks for the July 4th celebration depending on the weather. The forecast is for rain and/or possible thunderstorms as has been the norm here recently.

Patio Postcards said...

Well done with the firework photos. Totally agree that laughter is good medicine.

Jeanie said...

Our lake fireworks were on a barge and it sunk in the lake so no sanctioned fireworks here. But we had our own action and it wasn't good -- more to come!

MARY G said...

So very glad that you are feeling better ... and well enough to shoot and to laugh. Our village display was postponed one day and we did not even hear a bang. But there sure was a lot,of very close banging when the electrical storms came through.

Vicki Lane said...

I think you did a terrific job!

William Kendall said...

Lovely takes!

Debby said...

I like Margaret's take on things. Glad you didn't miss it altogether.