Monday, April 10, 2023

Wrong Door Anvilcloud

This morning, I fancied a piece of the Caramilk bar that Sha had brought over. She had purchased hot cross buns for Sue, but since she knew I wouldn’t eat them, she brought me a chocolate bar.

Alas! I cannot find it this morning.

That makes three recent losses, and the previous two were not trivial.

The first loss was my special winter photo gloves. They cost a pretty penny, but they have been gone gone gone for several weeks.

Then, I misplaced my beard/hair trimmer. About two weeks ago, Sue used it to trim my hair, and then I took it back upstairs to do my beard. And that was the last time that I remember seeing it. It sure isn’t where I have kept it for years.

I have tossed two old, broken beard trimmers recently, and I do wonder whether, in my general enthusiasm, I inadvertently tossed that one too.. It is quite possible that I jettisoned it in error for I will all too often grab the wrong item from the shelf in the grocery store as my mind floats off elsewhere while my hand closes on the item right beside the target item  . 

And let me tell you about my proclivity to open the wrong cupboard door in the kitchen. I might even open the the fridge instead of the cupboard or vice versa. It happens when I know that I have to open something, but my mind wanders before I get to it, and so I reach for the wrong door.

Perhaps that could be my nickname, Wrong Door Anvilcloud.

I am guessing that the trimmer is a goner, but I have some hope that the gloves will eventually emerge from some obscure corner. I once lost a hat for months and even had it replaced before I had an inspiration about where it could be.

But really, the chocolate bar was just an overnight loss, and I know that Sue didn’t eat it, so I not only have hopes of recovery, but even high hopes. 

Eventually the light dawned as I reconstructed the chocolate bar event in my wee brain. We had met Shauna at the door, and she wasn't staying, so we just lingered and talked there for a few moments. It must have been that when she gave me the Caramilk, I put it on the shelf by the front door. Addled as I might be, at least I figured it out. Now . . .  about the gloves and trimmer.



19 comments:

Ed said...

Nothing helps me find lost things faster than buying their replacements.

Marcia said...

Mind works in funny ways. Glad of chocolate recovery, and hope other two show up.

Marie Smith said...

In this house we’ve determined that one of the reasons people retire is to have time to look for things. We spend a lot of time doing it these days.

DJan said...

I recently misplaced a favorite pair of gloves. I know they are here somewhere! It's curious how these things mysteriously disappear when we're not looking. :-)

Boud said...

One of the good parts about a terrible memory is that you can re-read a mystery novel with just as much puzzlement the second time around. I hope the gloves show up.

Barbara Rogers said...

I agree with Boud...and even have been enjoying watching a series made from books which I've read and re-read...but had never seen enacted. Knowing who the villain is, even though those dumb police detectives haven't a clue...or maybe I forget "who done it" and am overjoyed to find out.

gigi-hawaii said...

Man, you are absent minded, aren't you?

Blondi Blathers said...

Last spring I searched high and low for the flower seeds I'd saved from the previous fall. Found them at the end of the gardening season -- in labelled paper bags tacked to the bulletin board behind the office door here. Couldn't believe I hadn't thought to look there.

I will often open the wrong cupboard door or drawer when I should (and do) know better. I move fast and can be absent-minded; not the best pairing.

And I overlook obvious things, which makes me look pretty dense sometimes. Fortunately I don't really mind that. At present it's more amusing than anything.

-Kate

Margaret said...

I would love that chocolate bar and am glad you located it. Believe it or not, I've never had a hot cross bun. I'm not even sure what it is! Like a prior commenter, I often find things after I've bought a replacement!

RedPat said...

Love the cartoon. Searching for things is a frequent activity here.

Should Fish More said...

I once lost my cell phone, and found it in the freezer.

DrumMajor said...

Ouch! I've put spices in the fridge instead of back in the cabinet. My spices, work bench widgets and tool rack are in alphabetical order. Keeps my brain from needless work. When you find your gloves, do like we did to our toddlers: tie a long string of yarn between them, and put the yarn through your jacket and out each sleeve. You cold weather folks almost need an entire rack on the wall to hold gloves and scarves! Linda in Kansas

Anvilcloud said...

@Fish: thank you very much for the genuine laugh.

William Kendall said...

The only thing that I do is with my phone. Usually its resting place is the coffee table. But if I come home, set it down elsewhere, and put things away, I can be momentarily puzzled at where it is.

Red said...

Half my energy goes to opening the wrong doors.

The Furry Gnome said...

You're not alone!

MARY G said...

I am just taking a break from searching for our municipal tax bill. Having lost the first mailing, I asked the finance lady to send it again. And I got it and opened it and put it carefully in the pile of bills to be paid, my job, and now it is not there or anywhere else either. So far, at least.
Yeah, mindlessness abounds.

Jenn Jilks said...

I hear you! I blame it on all these stresses we've been through.
I do this all the time. I did find a pair of gloves in my down-filled coat I hadn't worn in a few weeks!

Jeanie said...

Oh, you'll find it. After you've either bought another or decide to move, but you'll find it. You'll find them all except maybe the chocolate bar. I do. Might be two years later but you will. (I found my madeleine baking pan in the sofa cushions once. It pays to turn over your cushions.)