Monday, April 24, 2023

Riverside Park After the Ice Storm

I know that it was awhile ago now, but two days after the ice storm, the damage that we saw at Riverside Park was discouraging. One of our favourite trees took quite a beating. I wonder if it will survive.

The town got busy sending trucks around to help citizens get rid of their damaged branches, so they hadn't gotten around to clearing the debris in the park, even last week.

On Saturday morning (I still can't usually type, morning) I decided to play around with the three images that I had captured back on the 8th. I had no particular result in mind, but this is what I ended up with.


Even though there are 5 images in the composite, they were from only 3 photos. The background was made by blurring one of the images (I forget which one) excessively on a separate layer.

This was all done by hand, as it were, in Photoshop, and not from a pre-configured template. I just messed around until I was more or less content with the result. But it is very time-consuming to do it this way.


14 comments:

DJan said...

Your composite does show what a beating the tree took. I hope it survives.

Barbara Rogers said...

Poor old tree. Enjoyed seeing the composite. I used to have Picasa, but sigh, no longer, which gave lots of options in making collages.

gigi-hawaii said...

Interesting photo essay. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Margaret said...

The tree is damaged but they are very resilient. I hope it survives!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I hope that tree survives. I like your collage. I love messing around using PS to try and improve my editing skills!

Marie Smith said...

I love how you play with the photos you take, AC. Great job as usual.

PipeTobacco said...

Hopefully enough leave will still emerge soon to allow it to sustain itself and potentially begin new growth as well. Ice (and snow) can be harsh foes.

Joanne Noragon said...

You did a fine job. Hang the time, it's the result you're after.

Red said...

I really like the middle photo with the large shadow In front of the tree. Good eye.

Jenn Jilks said...

This is excellent. I like it.

Patio Postcards said...

Wonderful tribute to the warrior tree - let's hope "he" survives.

William Kendall said...

There's some ice storm damage here near my place still pending removal.

Granny Sue said...

That poor tree. I well remember our worst icestorm. The trees have never really recovered. Many of them had their tops broken off, which meant rain could seep down into the trees, rotting their centers. We lose some of these poor trees every year.

MARY G said...

Yes, time consuming it is. But fun, and sometimes the results are better than a template. I have a triple frame that the YD gave me to fill with a collage of our back beaver ponds. I have so many photos. I have tried three seasons, three perspectives and three length ranges, and am still playing. I may have to get more frames.
I love your offering here. It really tells the story.