Thursday, April 13, 2023

Tulip Celebration

Sue bought herself a half-dozen yellow tulips last week. Yellow is very Easter-ish after all, and, come spring, we all tend to have thoughts of tulips dancing though our brains anyway. Besides, her photo prompts for the week revolves around yellow.

On Sunday, I saw one in the backlight on our dining room table, and I managed to get a photo.


The next day, we did some shooting downstairs under artificial light. I added some sunrays artificially in post.



But then the very good thing happened. 

On the previous day, I had reduced the snow pile from just over the tulip part of the flowerbed. I shovelled off a foot or two of snow while being careful not to get down to ground level and hurt the poor things that I surmised might lay under there. Next day, when I went out to remove a little more snow, I saw that the flowerbed was now bare where I had already shovelled, and yes, ladies and gents, the tulip plants were poking out.

This made me inordinately happy, and I grabbed Sue's phone and took a few snaps.

The receding glacier has exposed these shoots at the ice edge.

There are several clumps, but this is the largest, a little farther away from the edge of the glacier, which is in the background.


This is what passes for excitement here in the Great White North.

==================

Meanwhile, here is the final post about the snow level that I have been prattling on and on about. I was going to wait another day, but then I looked out back and saw this, I realized that it will all be gone today back there, for it will be sunny and very warm.

Just a smidge in the very shadiest corner. The pile was even smaller later and will soon begone today.

Meanwhile, more snow remains out front: enough to maybe last through this warm day, but the flower garden around the tree is now completely uncovered with a little help from yours truly.

And that is pretty much the end of a very snowy winter. Today will be grand, and I will likely don shorts and tees for the first time in '23. It won't last of course. There will be much less-than-ideal weather over the next month or more, and the shorts and tees will be returned to the bureau for many days.

16 comments:

Boud said...

Tulips look a lot like eggs before they open, good for Easter. Yes, it's exciting to see growth has been happening under the snow.

Granny Sue said...

I bet it feels so good to have these warm days. Bulbs amaze me the way they just carry on despite the worst the weather can do.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That yellow tulip was a great photo subject and the added sun rays really enhanced the image. Glad to see the snow is disappearing as it has here in NH and no snow piles are even seen in plowed lots. The weather has turned unseasonably warm this week and soon there will be some blooms...but not yet.

Marie Smith said...

We have 10 C here today but lots of snow remains around the trees where the sun doesn’t shine. A week more should do it however.

Great photos of the tulips, AC.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

Enjoy your weather while you have it. Beautiful tulip photos!

PipeTobacco said...

As typical, great photos….. bit of those, I found the outdoor ones especially interesting to view and observed those the longest.

PipeTobacco

Barbara Rogers said...

Shorts and tees! Oh my! Call the photographers! Wait, that doesn't work, he is the photographer. Selfie time!! Glad your tulips have been saved from the great mountain of snow. So happy that it's gone!

Jeanie said...

Three cheers to see your snow almost gone -- and an easter egg of a bulb shoot coming up! I love your glorious tulip -- it's wonderful!

Red said...

Funny how some plants are ready to pop up moments after the snow is gone. they respond to light.

William Kendall said...

I've seen some shoots in the gardens here.

The Furry Gnome said...

Glad to see your white stuff going!

roentare said...

The tulip image is fantastic! Great use of negative space

Debby said...

All the snow you got, I can understand completely the excitement at tulips (or anything else that was not cold and white.

Christina said...

Gorgeous photos! Tulips truly make me happy. Ours in the garden are far ahead of yours despite living at a similar latitude. The differences in our climates always boggles my mind. Hope the Gulf Stream remains stable for a good while longer. Shorts and t-shirt with snow still outside? You are a brave man!

Jenn Jilks said...

We ate on the patio yesterday!

Margaret said...

So nice to see the snow dissipate and see the beginnings of tulips. Love the light in the yellow tulip. I have three blooming right now and more to come.