Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Collages Then and Now

After I showed yesterday's collage ↑ of the park after the ice storm, I was thinking that is not how I have traditionally done collages.

My method has usually been to blend the various photos together, so that they almost became one continuous image. I did scads of such images for the kids when they were young. Below: Jonathan at five months and Danica at three months.



Since that first collage above was from two days after the ice storm, I thought that I should make one for the day after, but try to make it in my more traditional way. However, every project demands its own direction and presentation.


In this case, it didn't seem that feathering the edges to blend the different parts together was the right choice. So, while I did abut them to each other, I used hard edges. I think this worked too, but it's still not my favourite way to do a collage.

Back in the kids' early days, I made many collages, for children change so fast when they're babies. As the years went on, I would do one a year for their birthdays. They have their own lives now, and photos are scarcer, so I didn't make them at all this year. The final two were for their birthdays in 2022.



And as far as I know, that was the end of doing birthday collages for the kids. Great Grandkids, anyone? Kidding. By the time the greats come along I will have gone along.

14 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Great job on the collages of the kids. You are right. It is harder to get photos when they are older.

Jenn Jilks said...

We are happy the kids are visiting on the long weekend! Momma is going to visit her brother in YVR!
The older they get the busier they get, as you well know.

Barbara Rogers said...

I liked the kids cards, aand the babies with fuzzy edges. You're right, the scenery needed better separations, and I'd venture to say IMHO that perhaps having frames between each would also have helped especially where the tones flow from one to another. Though of course that might have been your plan in the first place.

Vicki Lane said...

Wonderful kid collages!

William Kendall said...

These are good. I've never done that.

Margaret said...

I do a grandson collage (now two of them) every two months. I cheat and use Shutterfly! Yours are wonderful and you can customize them better than I can, plus use more photos.

RedPat said...

Those collages of the kids are wonderful.

roentare said...

These are great collages done to perfection

DJan said...

The kid collages show so many different expressions, which makes it so much fun. And we as parents are always present with a camera to capture them. Not so much when we become adults.

PipeTobacco said...

The blended collages you have made are quite striking….but they seem like they would be VERY difficult to create. Your Photoshop skills are impressive!!!

PipeTobacco

Joanne Noragon said...

I like your collages very much.

Liz Hinds said...

I love the baby collages.

Jeanie said...

I like both versions but I tend to love the individual ones a little more. I know where to look. But I do love the kid collages, the expressions, the evolutions. You're very good with PS!

MARY G said...

Your technical skill is evident, as is the photogenic charm of your subjects. The infant JJ is the one I like the most, but mostly because of the range of expression - they are all good. And I am with you on the hard edges. I have a smudge tool in PhotoPaint that I lean on.